Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HT Receiver Question / Dedicated Power Circuits & Outlets  (Read 1491 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
HT Receiver Question / Dedicated Power Circuits & Outlets
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:17:14 PM »
Haven't looked at these in quite some time so i'm not sure if a feature that i'm looking for is even possible.  My parents are going to be renovating their living room and I'm going to help them put in some HT stuff.

Are there HT receivers available that can be set up in multiple modes so that in one mode, for example, the rear speakers are used as surrounds in a 5.1 setup and then in a different mode, they are used as the front L and front R in a 2 channel setup?

Here's the issue.  the way my parents' house is set up, the living room is very close to the kitchen.  my mom (like a good italian wife  :P) spends a lot of time in the kitchen, while my dad (like a good italian husband) spends a lot of time in the living room watching tv.  my mom constantly complains about the TV being too loud (hey they're old).  when they are both watching tv in the living room, everyone is happy, she just doesn't like his tv overwhelming the whole main floor.  so my thought is if there is a HT receiver that can be set up by me so that in one mode the speakers connected to the # 4 and 5 outputs (rear L and rear R in a surround setup) could be the front R and front L in an alternate setup, they will be closer to his listening position (even if behind him, it won't matter for regular watching) and could be kept at a more reasonable volume.

alternatively, are there manual switching boxes avaiable?  for example, i know there are amps with an A/B setup.  I can run cables from the receiver A surround and B front L,R to a switching box, then 1 set of cables to the surrounds.  this has to exist, right, i mean, i can almost build it myself. :P

a more interesting question.  i'm not sure just how much electrical work they will be doing so I'm not sure if it's possible to install a separate circuit for the HT gear (though i would like to)...what options are available for cleaner power or surge protectors built into outlets, etc.  there won't be a ton of gear here (TV, HT Receiver, dvd, cable/satellite,etc).

any good magazines/resources? 

any suggestions at all welcome.

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: HT Receiver Question / Dedicated Power Circuits & Outlets
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 03:21:26 PM »
I would recommend 2 sets of Manley Snappers for them for all of their surround sound needs.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
The only one built into outlets I know of is the new PSAudio duo I think it is called.  Check out the website for information.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Invisible

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:18:27 PM »
There are several HT recievers available that have a zone 2 output for listening to different sources from the same receiver in another room. It is output on either the rear surounds  at speaker level, a line level RCA zone 2 output to feed a seperate power amp or both.

You could use the rear surround speaker outputs as zone 2 when he is watching TV by himself, and put the reciever back in 7.1 mode when they are watching together. Since the recievers zone 2 is setup to be used in another room, when using this feature for what it is intended, the receiver would still play a 5.1 setup on the front L&R, C and surround L&R speakers while playing a stereo mix out of the back two channels in the same room. Since most receivers have independent volume control for zone 2, you would simply have to turn down the master volume knob on the front of the receiver and turn up the internal volume of the zone 2 outputs up when he is watching by himself. Hope this makes sense.

Depending on how technically savvy your father is may determine how feasable this setup would be for him. It would require going through the menu of the receiver to set this up each time you wanted to use the rear surrounds as a stereo pair, and then go back through the menu to set them up as the rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 01:43:56 PM by Invisible »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com