Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage  (Read 16430 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
100% safe if you dont share it
99% safe even if you do.

How safe is it to store stealth recordings on Google Drive, Backblaze or whatever? How much do they care about their users integrity? Is it possible for artists and labels to use some algorithm to find illegally recorded music or videos? Didn't Megaupload and other cloud services have a lot of problems in the past with users sharing illegal things in their clouds? Is it safer nowadays?

I'm considering this route as well but I'm a bit afraid it will bite me in the end.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
Good morning! I just want to underline that it wasn't my intention to cause *worry*, but to follow on the heels of what perks said, and really try to provide some food for thought about the whole "cloud" thing. Yes, I do think that safety is something to think about. Then again, I live in a place where self-righteous (some might even say arrogant) pedestrians walk out into traffic hundreds of times a day, without even taking the extra second to look both ways before crossing; safe in the self-presumed knowledge that motor vehicle drivers will absolutely have to always do the right thing and allow them to cross, because *The Law* demands it. Sure, if the driver can brake in time. Or, if the brakes are in good working order, for that matter. Or if the driver isn't busy looking at their phone, just like the pedestrian is. See, so many thinks to take into consideration. And let's just say the pedestrian gets hit, regardless of who is really at fault - is a settlement going to really make the pedestrian feel better, or give them back their quality of life? Okay, I'm rambling on a tangent, but that particular tangent is something I've been dealing with for more than twenty years now, except in my case the driver really was at fault, and the settlement didn't even begin to cover all the problems that still continue to come up.

But let's say we go back to the story of the files in the cloud. Maybe it's safe, maybe not. Let's forget about that question for a moment and think about other possibilities. What if one day a new law is passed and the hosting provider is required to vet the kind of things their customers are storing on their cloud servers. Kind of like mandatory cookies for clouds. Or let's say the Terms Of Service change in a way that users may not agree with (does anyone really even read all that stuff?). Or the fees keeping going up. None of those things are too far-fetched, really.

Look, I'm as much of a techhie nerd as anyone else in this here tribe, and that having been said, the concept of cloud storage is really kind of a remarkable thing. Like so many other components of web and audio science we all deal with in this wacky taping universe of ours. But just like everything else in this realm, the game is constantly changing, and generally, at a pace many of us can barely keep up with, which is one reason we are all still asking questions that quite possibly could have been answered by the creators of these gadgets before they thrust them in front of us to make us all giddy and excited about their uncharted potential. Maybe those guys don't even have the answers themselves. Maybe they expect us to be the ongoing beta testers for their crazy new schemes and devices. If that's the case, I'm just saying that we really do need to grab the reins and slow it down just a second so we have a reasonable opportunity to think everything through, before we end up doing something we might later regret.

Done rambling for the moment. I guess that's what happens when I just start typing first thing in the morning when I haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet.
Peace out, y'all.

- - - -

How safe is it to store stealth recordings on Google Drive, Backblaze or whatever? How much do they care about their users integrity? Is it possible for artists and labels to use some algorithm to find illegally recorded music or videos? Didn't Megaupload and other cloud services have a lot of problems in the past with users sharing illegal things in their clouds? Is it safer nowadays?

I'm considering this route as well but I'm a bit afraid it will bite me in the end.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
99% safe even if you do.
I have to say I think you pulled these numbers out of the air.
What if a cloud server was configured incorrectly? It's happened.
https://gizmodo.com/company-leaves-752-00-birth-certificate-copy-applicatio-1840330419
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »
I have 12TB backed up through Backblaze. I think it is/was around $50-$60 a year.

How long did that take to backup?

I have about 11 TB of data on a NAS. I have a backup that runs nightly to another NAS at my brothers house, but I've considered doing the online route too.

I really wish my job would let me leave the NAS hooked up to the network for a few hours. We have a 40 Gig connection. Shouldn't take long at all. I have a 100M connection at home. I think it would take WEEKS to transfer that much data and I have a 1TB cap, so technically it would take over a year to finish it all.

Well, they don't allow cloud backups of NAS devices. It has to be a drive in a computer (basically). It took months to back it all up. And I started with 6-7 TB. There might have been something wrong in a setting (I don't think so) but it took forever. There is a decent backblaze sub on reddit for Q&A.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 05:14:36 AM »
About security. I use Dropbox. Some years ago they had a leak which caused thousands of e-mails and passwords to get out to the public, including mine. I had no clue about this leak until I used another service to test if my e-mail is safe. Which it wasn't because of Dropbox.

I have no doubt this can happen to other services as well. Including Google.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »
My "completed audio" folders are between 30-70GB per year the past few. Total about 1TB over the past 12 years or so.

Are we ready to really contemplate the size of our collective data set?

I tape audio and shoot video.  For the last year, I've been shooting video in 4K.  A well-filmed shot in 4K is such a thing of beauty.  But it also clocks in at around 40GBs per hour.  I've come home from a single show where I shot two bands and had 125GBs of video and audio to archive.  I hit three shows in three nights just before Christmas and that was a total of 223GBs.

I really love this high quality video.  And it just continues to get better AND bigger.  8K video is coming ... I'm both excited (for the quality) and scared (for the size) at the same time.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
About security. I use Dropbox. Some years ago they had a leak which caused thousands of e-mails and passwords to get out to the public, including mine. I had no clue about this leak until I used another service to test if my e-mail is safe. Which it wasn't because of Dropbox.

I have no doubt this can happen to other services as well. Including Google.

This can AND WILL happen to other sites regardless whether its cloud storage or e-commerce.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »
99% safe even if you do.
I have to say I think you pulled these numbers out of the air.

sort of. i was specifically talking about liability for copyrighted works parked on a cloud account

i have heard of 0.0% people having issues with things not publicly shared
and just a rare handful of people having issues for things that are shared, thru p2p etc
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 09:07:34 AM »
I just want to say that I appreciate this discussion, which I'm learning useful things from.

In the 1970s I recorded many hundreds of hours of documentary material on cassettes; to me, it's the most useful and important thing I've been able to do in my life. I transferred those recordings to CD-Rs when that technology became available, and have been keeping it on CD-R and then DVD-R ever since, in multiple copies in case of accidents or bad media. I've sent copies to friends in other countries, and where appropriate, donated copies of certain subsets to academic or institutional archives. I figured that duplication was the best way to increase the odds of preservation.

In the past few weeks I've started transferring the material to portable SSDs and--once everything was verified and backed up in multiple copies--letting go of the CD-Rs. It's a strange feeling to go from "this is the stuff that I'm the most protective of" to putting it out in the trash overnight, but I'm due to turn 70 next month, I'm living alone after my recent divorce, and I don't want to leave behind three storage rooms full of stuff that no one knows about or has any idea what to do with.

The fact that my life's main accomplishment, which used to require an entire tall set of IKEA shelves to house, now will fit easily in someone's shirt pocket (or be able to get lost between the couch cushions, or get carried away by a family pet as a chew toy) is a little eerie, but I'm pretty sure it's the right thing for me to be doing at this point. And it's fun duplicating this stuff at up to 300 MB/second.

Incidentally, the CD-Rs and DVD-Rs held up remarkably well after decades of storage. In retrospect I overdid it with making redundant copies--but no regrets; I would certainly rather be saying that than the opposite.

--best regards

P.S.: My sympathies to the people here who are dealing with high-resolution video rather than audio. It will probably be a few more decades before physical storage technology catches up with your needs--and in the meantime, who knows what all you'll have recorded ...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:26:27 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »
I don't want to leave behind three storage rooms full of stuff that no one knows about or has any idea what to do with or gives a shit about.

FTFY.

When that day eventually comes ... and my kids and grand kids (and great grand kids?) are digging through grandpa's 'stuff' to see what's worth keeping and what needs to go to the dump ... I'm about 99.999% sure that the music collection, to include all my master vids and audios ... is going to met with 'what the fuck are these' frowns ... and a few seconds later will get tossed into the "throw it away" pile.

But who knows ... maybe ... just maybe ... one of the grand kids will say, "Wait!  Don't throw those hard drives away.  We can wipe them and re-use them!"

And my legacy will be several re-purposed hard drives ... that they will probably all scoff at because, "Who the heck needs a bunch of old 100TB hard drives?  They barely hold any data."
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline live2cd

• Taperssection Member
    • Facebook.
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »

When that day eventually comes ... and my kids and grand kids (and great grand kids?) are digging through grandpa's 'stuff' to see what's worth keeping and what needs to go to the dump ... I'm about 99.999% sure that the music collection, to include all my master vids and audios ... is going to met with 'what the fuck are these' frowns ... and a few seconds later will get tossed into the "throw it away" pile.

:lol: :lol:aint this the truth.
DPA 4060 [CS HEB] > CS BB
CA-14 (c) > CA 9200
CA-14 (o) > CA 9200
SP-CMC-8 Cardioids (4.7k mod) > SP-SPSB-11
pri deck: Sony PCM M10 | alt decks: TASCAM DR‑2D & Sony PCM A10

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 03:17:28 AM »
3 10TB Seagates on Black Friday: $480 shipped

why on earth anyone would *want* to introduce a "middleman" to aid in the preservation of their files is beyond me.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 05:53:39 AM »

why on earth anyone would *want* to introduce a "middleman" to aid in the preservation of their files is beyond me.

Seagate are known to be unreliable. Use Western Digital if you are going that route.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »

Seagate are known to be unreliable. Use Western Digital if you are going that route.

I've had Seagate HD's for years (external and internal), haven't had one fail (yet). All brands of hard drives have bad batches and failures, just the luck of the draw sometimes.
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 12:42:58 AM »
TheMetalist, as it happens, I've had the exact opposite experience personally: two WD failures out of maybe half a dozen, and no Seagate failures ever out of more than twenty. And I have "heard" that WD drives are known to be unreliable.

--If you live in a state that has a lottery, it can be instructive sometimes to stand in line near where people are buying tickets for it. If a lottery is fair, it Does. Not. Matter. which numbers you pick; each is equally as [un]likely to win as any other. Nonetheless, people care a lot whether the person behind the counter hears and follows their requests. It never seems to occur to anyone that if the ticket seller gets their number wrong, that mistake could be EXACTLY what it takes for them to win a million dollars.

It's equally interesting to hear what people say when they don't win--they often act as if they'd made a mistake from which they can usefully learn something. "I should have trusted my first impulse" for example. Along those lines, the only reason I avoid WD drives nowadays is that if another WD drive were to fail after the experiences I've had, I would probably feel worse personally than if a Seagate drive failed, because of my having ignored my impulse to avoid WD drives. President George W. Bush said it best: "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

(By the way, I use a whole lot of SanDisk products with no worries--and SanDisk is owned by Western Digital.)

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:46:26 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com