Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 105123 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2006, 11:42:14 PM »
Header was not (re)written. Import as raw.

Thanks, sounds easy but is not for me (beginner): Any idea where I can find more info? Thanks a lot!
Depends on the editor software. I see you use Audacity; I think a more experience user can help you.
Just try to rename the file to *.raw and use file -> open to import the file. (my guess)

Offline olli

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2006, 12:51:26 AM »
Header was not (re)written. Import as raw.

Thanks, sounds easy but is not for me (beginner): Any idea where I can find more info? Thanks a lot!
Depends on the editor software. I see you use Audacity; I think a more experience user can help you.
Just try to rename the file to *.raw and use file -> open to import the file. (my guess)

Tried renaming file into xxx.raw and xxx.pcm, but still cannot open it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2006, 01:12:06 AM »

What happens when you try to open it in Audacity?  Did you open it via File | Open or Project | Import?  Maybe try CD-Wave?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2006, 02:52:45 AM »
I have a similar problem. Recorded four files last night and one seems to be screwed up. When I open it as a raw file in WaveLab 5, it sounds like pink noise. Audiohack reports something like "missing data chunk", and CDWave can't open it either. It doesn't even play on the R09 ("improper song").
FWIW, the card (150x Transcend 4GB) had been freshly formatted, and I was recording at 24/48 using the internal mics. The file is definitely <2GB, it shows up as 162MB but I'm not sure if that's accurate. Is there anything else I could try?

Other than that, both the fidelity and ease of use with this thing are just great. I took it to band practice last night and everyone was very impressed with the results. The internal mics can handle relatively high SPLs (we play loud) and they sound suprisingly good. That's not going to stop me from trying it with the MBHO/MP2 combo tomorrow, but for journalists and especially musicians, the internal mics are perfectly fine IMO.

Offline olli

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2006, 03:02:33 AM »

What happens when you try to open it in Audacity?  Did you open it via File | Open or Project | Import?  Maybe try CD-Wave?

Tried to open with: FILE - OPEN. Nothing happens, Audacity does not load file - which should take some time. If I go to FILE again, the option EXPORT AS WAV FILE  is given, if I "export" - no file has never been loaded -  I get a silent 1 KB xxx.wav file. Checked the Web, everything that looks promising is far beyond my knowledge and abilities ...

Offline olli

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2006, 03:30:02 AM »

Thanks so much for the CD-Wave tip: Could open the file with CD-Wave -  program said something about wrong header -  anyway, I opened it and then saved it, now it seems to be fixed and I can play the file with the standard programs. That's so GREAT, I am really happy, THANKS AGAIN!

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2006, 04:03:45 AM »
That's not going to stop me from trying it with the MBHO/MP2 combo tomorrow

I tried that setup last weekend at a festival. I was actually going to run a comparison (MBHO > MP2 > M1 vs. R-09's internal mics), but it rained heavily when I wanted to do it. I left my equipment in the car. Anyway, the MBHO>MP2>R09 combo sounds excellent! My recordings are all extremely bassy, but that's because the PA at the outdoor festival sounded exactly that way...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2006, 09:05:18 AM »
Ha! FWIW, Hold works when the unit is off.  Press power and the display lights up for a second to show 'hold is on" then back off.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2006, 10:12:50 AM »
Just to throw my $.02 in, the 2 times I've ran the R09 so far I couldn't be happier. This is pretty much the deck I've been waiting for.

Also, someone earlier in this thread (or possibly in part 1) brought up a comparison I have to agree with - this sounds damn near *exactly* like a (mod)SBM1, only 24 bit.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »
please don't tell me it sounds like an sbm1 :-\

why?
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2006, 11:09:17 AM »
thats a sound that I've never liked, and actually disliked.

Have you had a chance to use it yet?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2006, 11:18:01 AM »
thats a sound that I've never liked, and actually disliked.

Have you had a chance to use it yet?

The gig that I'd hoped to break it in on was cancelled, so, not yet. I have a couple coming up, but not for a couple of weeks now.

Damn I always anticipate the break in of new gear!

I bet it'll sound nice with DPAs and I look forward to reading your comments.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2006, 09:55:51 PM »
Hey all... After selling my MT and picking up a few iRivers then deciding I really wanted 24bit since sometimes I would be mixing in SBD feeds with my R-4 (and deciding to give up on digi in for now) I went ahead and picked up a R-9.  It will be here tomorrow.  I've been going through this thread and just wanted to verify that so far it seems the Transend 4gig card has been working the best for most people.  It also sounds like that will need to be formatted on the computer.  Can somone recommend a good (hopefully cheep) reader?  After reading several reviews of readers out there it seems like some have issues reading different size cards.

So to sum it up.... As of now:
1. Transcend 4gig SD card seems the most compatible?
2. Best to format on the PC (FAT32)? Or can the R-9 format reliably?
3. Any recommended reader?
4. Oh yea... what is battery life like? Is it just best to swap them out or is there a good battery pack available?

I hate to beg, but a fast response would be nice as I'd like to order so I can use for a unique situation this weekend that I will probably not see again soon..

Thanks for the input,
Dana
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2006, 12:22:58 AM »
Hey all... After selling my MT and picking up a few iRivers then deciding I really wanted 24bit since sometimes I would be mixing in SBD feeds with my R-4 (and deciding to give up on digi in for now) I went ahead and picked up a R-9.  It will be here tomorrow.  I've been going through this thread and just wanted to verify that so far it seems the Transend 4gig card has been working the best for most people.  It also sounds like that will need to be formatted on the computer.  Can somone recommend a good (hopefully cheep) reader?  After reading several reviews of readers out there it seems like some have issues reading different size cards.

So to sum it up.... As of now:
1. Transcend 4gig SD card seems the most compatible?
2. Best to format on the PC (FAT32)? Or can the R-9 format reliably?
3. Any recommended reader?
4. Oh yea... what is battery life like? Is it just best to swap them out or is there a good battery pack available?

I hate to beg, but a fast response would be nice as I'd like to order so I can use for a unique situation this weekend that I will probably not see again soon..

Thanks for the input,
Dana

No experience with flash makes, but suggest using OXY-alkaline now made by Sony and Panasonic as most likely to give 5+ hours recording time.  I have been using these for a few weeks with the R-09 and get at least 5 hours.

ALSO, suggestion to consider.
After realizing you get 2:15 with just a 2 GIF card at 24/44.1, I wonder if it's worth the extra concern with card make compatibility using a single 4 GIG card verses two 2-GIG cards? 
Just preformat the two cards before going to the show, and swap out after 3rd set or somewhere before 2 hours is up. 

R-09 boots so fast, not likely to miss anything.  Only difficulty is swapping out cards is a bit awkward, so this must be practiced so not to break the sliding door or drop anything in the process. 

And it never hurts to have two flash cards of decent capacity in case one proves defective after using awhile.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2006, 12:35:07 AM »
Transcend 4GB SD card is now $57 after $30 rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820163159

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com