Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R09-HR and Sound Devices MixPre or Fostex FR2-LE?  (Read 5440 times)

Offline sokiN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R09-HR and Sound Devices MixPre or Fostex FR2-LE?
« on: July 01, 2009, 01:32:13 PM »
Hello everyone..
Here's the situation: I already own an Edirol R09-HR that I usually use with some hand crafted microphones. I'm thinking of upgrading and I was wondering if the addition of a Sound Devices MixPre would give better results than those given by a Fostex FR2-LE? I will be using this setup (and some microphones of course) mostly for sound field recordings and recordings for short length-films (I suppose the length of the film doesn't matter... :) ).
From what I've read and what I have listened to in here I'm assuming that the MixPre is the right choice (yes I know that it costs more than the FR2-LE). Am I right?  Another thing that worries me is the portability of this setup and issues that I could have by the use of the extra cables finding a bag that would fit everything nicely etc...
Any thoughts-suggestions towards other equipment in the same price range are more than welcome (just remember I already own the Edirol and I'm not planning to sell it...).
Thanks

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Edirol R09-HR and Sound Devices MixPre or Fostex FR2-LE?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
between your two, yes the MixPre will generally be favored here. To me, the real debate comes in at the point where you decide whether you want to lug around multiple items or not.

One thing to keep in mind is unless you have something between the edirol and the mics, they are probably 9v/"plug in" mics and not phantom powered mics which is where the mixpre and fostex excel. You can get plug in mics to work with either (with adaptors to drop voltage or other items in front of either), but you'll need to keep that in mind before you go out in the field.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:38:25 AM »
The MixPre has advantages in a couple of areas.  The MixPre has greater gain than the FR-2LE preamp does. This can be useful in nature recording, maybe less important in catching audio for use in film. The MixPre has a very good headphone amp, better than the FR-2LE has.  This can be a big help when monitoring the recording.  And the volume control of the FR-2LE is annoyingly small.  The case of the MixPre is strong metal.  The FR-2LE is durable plastic, but it's still plastic. 

Doug Oade makes a Basic Mod for the FR-2LE, $615, and a Super Mod, $730.  Both make a good machine sound better.  Another option to check out is the Marantz PMD661 with the Oade Super Mod, $669.

Flintstone

Offline sokiN

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »
Thanks guys I think I'll go for the MixPre. Another thing I was wondering about is how the pre-amps of the fostex behave compared to the ones of the Edirol when used with a phantom power supply such as art phantom II.  I'm asking this for the situations where I won't be needing much amplification and the MixPre won't be of great need.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:11:26 AM »
Thanks guys I think I'll go for the MixPre. Another thing I was wondering about is how the pre-amps of the fostex behave compared to the ones of the Edirol when used with a phantom power supply such as art phantom II.  I'm asking this for the situations where I won't be needing much amplification and the MixPre won't be of great need.

The FR-2LE is a good little recorder - probably the start of where you could call a recorder "professional".

The mic. pres are very respectable for the money - I don't think you will have a problem.

I had the original FR-2 for several years (before I upgraded to the Nagra VI) and the LE was supposed to have improved mic. pres. and the original ones were fine.

Offline a-dub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 01:27:36 PM »
One of the member's here, Scott (digifish_music) uses the Edirol R-09HR + MixPre combo. Try asking him about this particular setup.

He has pulled some solid recordings that I've heard.

aaron :)
Shhh, silence is golden.

Offline sokiN

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »
One of the member's here, Scott (digifish_music) uses the Edirol R-09HR + MixPre combo. Try asking him about this particular setup.

Thanks Aaron. Actually the quality of Scott's recordings was the reason I started thinking of this setup. Now I've started searching for the cheapest retailer for the MixPre in Europe. I suppose he won't be in Greece where I live..

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »
Having the mic electronics separated from the recorder makes more sense, even if it's burdensome to carry around. We are not talking heavy or large packages here.

You can upgrade the recorder later on, to a new or different model, and the basic preamp will keep you safe in that area.

Definitely R09-HR + MixPre.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 07:47:44 AM »

Thanks Aaron. Actually the quality of Scott's recordings was the reason I started thinking of this setup. Now I've started searching for the cheapest retailer for the MixPre in Europe. I suppose he won't be in Greece where I live..

The nice thing about the MixPre / R09HR combo is that you can break it down to a nice stealth package and use the R09HR on its own.

Also, the MixPre will be a superb mic preamp in 20 years time...while the digital recorders will come and go the MixPre will remain a class act, just plug it into the next one :)

I use mine with the R44 and the R09HR and various audio interfaces for computer recording.

Finally, if you ever need to sell it, you will get most of your money back.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline sokiN

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:29:43 AM »
Thank you all guys
I just got back from a three-days trip and my MixPre was waiting for me. It's one of the few times I don't feel sad after returning to Athens :).

Offline Macpono

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
hi there :)

my first post on this awesome board and i hope someone can help me out with this :) :

i currently run a pair of at853s in combination with a sonosax preamp into a sony d-100.
i now want to replace the d-100 with an edirol. will there be any problems with the phantompower unit/sonosax? any compatibility issues? i've read that the edirol doesnt handle phantompowered mics? is that right?

many thanks :-)

mac
iso: a set of Neumann KM140's

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
The R-09HR doesn't supply 48V phantom power, but it will accept a line level signal from the Sonosax just fine. You should be all set running 1/8" into the Edirol from the Sonosax. BTW that is the first time I've heard of anyone using the AT853s with a Sonosax.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Macpono

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
The R-09HR doesn't supply 48V phantom power, but it will accept a line level signal from the Sonosax just fine. You should be all set running 1/8" into the Edirol from the Sonosax. BTW that is the first time I've heard of anyone using the AT853s with a Sonosax.

hey johnw,

cheers for your reply :)
so....now i guess there is nothin that can keep me from buying a new rec-device :)
i have used this rig for quite a few shows and am VERY pleased with the results :) ! couldnt afford some shoeps or neumanns back than and decided to go for a very mint preamp, thats why i picked a sonosax :)

mac
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:52:35 AM by Macpono »
iso: a set of Neumann KM140's

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 12:42:23 AM »
Glad you're happy with your purchase!  A delayed chime in here simply for those that find this thread beginning thier search.  One of the Concert Modded (Is Busman doing these as well?) FR2-LE machines will give you an outstanding recording with a relatively minimal investment, small footprint, all in-one box, and easily powered device.  I prefer a warmer tone to my recordings and the Sound Devices boxes have always had a more analytical, harder tone to my ears.  Depending on your goals either might represent a good option.

Carry On.  ;)
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.339 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com