Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with voiceover using DPA 4022 or SHURE SM58? pics included  (Read 2563 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
Help with voiceover using DPA 4022 or SHURE SM58? pics included
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:58:13 AM »
I am doing some video work and i am doing some voiceover or narrative work and i was wondering what people thought of using DPA 4022 2 channel sound or the SHURE sm58 single channel.   I have played around with the SHURE but not so fancy on the playback as i really want some of the narrative to stand out more.  I dont know anything about this kind of thing so i am looking for some advice.  I can use the sonosax sx m2 pre amp with 3.5mm plug into the computer for either mic set up.  I do use quit a bit of hard drive space. 

thank you

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help with voiceover using DPA 4022 or SHURE SM58? pics included
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:25:00 AM »
the "58" is a pop-rock vocal and instrument mic.  It is dynamic; i.e., needs no phantom power.  Some folks swear by them.  They can be used as mics when you are finished using them as hammers. I believe the DPA would be far more natural.  Were it me, I would do the DPA.  For a voice-over I would mount the two 4022's about an inch apart and use then as a desk mic.  That's my two cents worth.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »
My 2 cents. Voice over is typically mono. So use only one of the DPA-s. The 4022-s are cardoids so they have a nice proximity effect -- the bass sounds are much stronger if you are close to the mic, try where it sounds best to you, 2 inches off the capsule may be an idea. You could probably use a "pop" filter, say this one:
http://www.deansabatino.com/2005/08/21/67/

Gunnar

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:01:04 AM »
thanks so much,

I was wondering if the 2 channel sound for  a narrative would sound better-- than using the mono set up

anyone?

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »
Voice doesn't really need stereo.  I would use one DPA and a pop filter.  Using both won't hurt anything but probably won't make a noticeable difference.     

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »
Voice doesn't really need stereo.  I would use one DPA and a pop filter.  Using both won't hurt anything but probably won't make a noticeable difference.     

ah that is what i am looking for, thanks i did not know if 2 made a difference, most excellent
thanks

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »
The last time I did a voiceover recording, I used a SM58-type dynamic (with nylon mesh pop filter) close to the speaker and a LD condenser out in the room. I ran them into a Tascam 564, panned to center, running line-out to my DAW. Then I put the cans on and played around with the mic positioning and levels until I got a sound that I liked. The condenser gave a depth to the recording that the single dynamic didn't have on its own. I'm not sure what the producer did with it in post but I gave him a CD that night and I got some cash from him a few weeks later. The pay was a surprise; I thought I was volunteering my time (it was a worthy cause).

Anyway; I don't know if you have gear that will work for that technique with but it worked great for me.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 04:58:44 PM »
Whatever you do, I suggest you--or the voice over talent--be in some kind of isolation to get the best possible mono sound. try using a closet full of clothes as opposed to a bathroom or an office.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
I am doing some video work and i am doing some voiceover or narrative work and i was wondering what people thought of using DPA 4022 2 channel sound or the SHURE sm58 single channel.   I have played around with the SHURE but not so fancy on the playback as i really want some of the narrative to stand out more.  I dont know anything about this kind of thing so i am looking for some advice.  I can use the sonosax sx m2 pre amp with 3.5mm plug into the computer for either mic set up.  I do use quit a bit of hard drive space. 

thank you

Use the DPA mics use one of them not two and record the voice in mono put a good pop screen in front of the mic + a windscreen. Also if your going to do voice overs you want a dead space around the mic place the person facing the corner of the room and put sonex or similar acoustic foam in the same corner so that the wall behind the mic is covered and make sure your room is dead quiet get him or her as close to the mic as possible use as little gain as possible the whole idea is to get the signal to noise ratio low so you have a nice clean track... you might have to put him or her in a closet again make the space as dead as possible blankets sonex anything that you can do to get it dead is good.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:15:34 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 09:53:18 AM »
Whatever you do, I suggest you--or the voice over talent--be in some kind of isolation to get the best possible mono sound. try using a closet full of clothes as opposed to a bathroom or an office.
This alone is more important than your mic selection. You want the recording to be as dry as possible as you can always add ambiance/depth later, but never take it away.

We recorded the trumpet, VO and most of the sound effects from this mock-trailer with a Shure SM58 in a closet full of clothes in a bedroom, then cleaned it up in post: http://www.titusfilms.com/portfolio/video/moonlights-trailer.php
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:55:59 AM by John Kary »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com