Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Samplitude simultaneous multiple track edits  (Read 3005 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Samplitude simultaneous multiple track edits
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:17:01 AM »
I have two tracks recorded at the same time with different mics.  I want to edit out the chatter and junk between songs.  How can I get SAM to cut from both tracks?  I know I can edit the four track combined file and then split that out but I already have split out the four tracks from the master and combined them into the two separate stereo tracks.  There must be a way in SAM to cut the same piece out of two separate tracks.

Thanks
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: Samplitude simultaneous multiple track edits
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
You can highlight both stereo objects, then right click on one of them one click "group objects" (it might be "link objects", I'm not in front of Samplitude right now.  But I think it's "group object".)  Anyway, once the two objects are grouped together (or linked together), if you grab one of the handle grips to slide the beginning/end position of the object, you'll see that the beginning/end position of both objects move simultaneously (because they're grouped together).  I think this will allow you do to what you want, but if not, please clarify exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

- Jason

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:32:08 PM »
Assuming the tracks are lined up perfectly... and for an example, lets assume you have a stereo track on track 1 and on track 2 in the window.

Click on the lock on each track or on the object so that the object cannot be shifted left or right.

Position the cursor exactly at the place where you want to cut the audio out. Click on the lower 1/2 of the object to select the current object. Press the "t" key on the keyboard to split the object at that point.

Keeping the cursor at the same position click on the lower half of the object on track 2. Press "t" again to split the object.

Now both objects have been split at the same point.

Now position the cursor at the end point where the edit will occur. Repeat the process to split the objects at the cursor position.

So now you have a separate object for each track that represents the part which will be edited out. Click on the lower half of the object to be removed to select it. Press the delete key to delete the object. Repeat that process to delete the object to be removed from track two.

Now you need to slide the objects together. First unlock any objects which require moving. With "snap" on (little magnet symbol) click on the rightmost object on track 1. Hold the mouse down on the lower portion of the object and slide that object to the left until it snaps into position joining the object on the left. Repeat for track 2.

That is an edit, but you can also do crossfades to smooth the transition between where one object ends and another begins. The key to keeping things aligned is to use the cursor and object edges and the snap setting.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:25 AM »
Indeed, Group Objects is what you use for this. (Live2496 -- very good description, but you save a lot of hassle if you learn this command).

To use group objects, select the objects you want to work on the same time and press the icon or use the short-cut Ctrl-G. In the situation you describe above, sometimes select all objects or Ctrl-A is the fastest way. Objects grouped together will be moved, resized and slided together.

There are some really good videos on the cursor functions in Samplitude somewhere up on the www.samplitude.com site, I highly recommend you to watch them. Remember that Samplitude is used by professional editors a lot and hence has all the functions and shortcuts that makes daily life easy for them. It may take a little time to learn them but once learned they are difficult to live without.

// Gunnar

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »
Guys -  I have two identical tracks recorded in parallel, with two different mic arrays.  I want to edit one track and have the identical edit performed on the other at the same time. I have them aligned and locked as suggested.  I was hoping there was a simple pull-down menu command or series of hot-keys that would make an action happen across all open tracks/files within the same edit.

Gunnar!  Read the manual.  Are you crazy!   LOL  Actually, I have dragged through the SAM manual and I hope it is more helpful in German than it is in English.  OK, I will review the film clips which come along with the package.

BTW -  Any of you guys upgraded up to SAM 11 yet??   It looks nice and the upgrade price is only moderately painful, ~USD150 here from the Master to plain Sam.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »
Point taken Gunnar. I need to get some new learning. :-)

Boojum I am still on V8 Pro, but I have not laid out the $$$ for a newer version. I do have V9 SE also, so I could upgrade to a newer one for a lot less I guess. I can always burn CD's in V8.

There is a way to perform the same operation on as many tracks as you want.
If you hold down the shift key when selecting objects, you can click on as many objects as you like. When you press "t" all objects will be split at the same point. That also works for selecting the end point of the edit and the delete. I don't know of a faster way. And the virtual project is the fastest way to edit.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com