Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What format should I convert FLV videos to?  (Read 8394 times)

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: What format should I convert FLV videos to?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 02:22:43 AM »
For an hours worth of video to be < 300MB, that's pretty compressed.  And DVD video of equal length would be near 2GB.  And that's at DVD resolution 720x480 (NTSC - at it's best for DVD).  I tend to render 720p at about 20MB per minute.  I could get down to 10MB per minute if quality wasn't a concern.  100 minutes, 2GB, 60 minutes closer to 1GB.  Basically you're not likely to beat the compression already present.  I'm still not sure what problem you're having with said content as is?  Flash 10 does the h264 stuff.  Unless you're using a VERY old computer (< 1Ghz) and some OLD version of the player.  You should be able to play it flawlessly (baring the usual compression quirks).  And so should your friends.  Maybe not grandma and grandpa on their 486, but still.  Any recent < 5yo computer should handle the specs to date okay.  It's not like 300MB per hour plus is particularly taxing to any modern hard drive.  I can generally do 1GB per 20 minutes over WiFi.  Baring dialup which is 10MB - 15MB per hour.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 03:18:09 AM »
I have a newer machine (quad-core win7), and the latest version of VLC, but these files act weird, as described above.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 06:25:10 AM »
ROTFLMAO at this thread.  I've NEVER seen people NOT answer the original question with such diligence and skill...   ;D ;D

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 11:31:24 AM »
ROTFLMAO at this thread.  I've NEVER seen people NOT answer the original question with such diligence and skill...   ;D ;D

??????

I think pluto did a pretty good job with this post: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139758.msg1808049#msg1808049

I think most of us are baffled that a computer can't play flv.

yltfan, can you post the file online and maybe we can see what we can do with it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
Rasta...you're right.  He did answer the question.  Didn't mean to offend...if I did.  I just had a chuckle there about what I was reading, but maybe it was just me being in a good mood on a Saturday morning.   ;)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:12:15 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »
In the absence of details, one can only do so much.

What type of computer?  8088 from 1981?

What version of VLC?  0.0.000001

What file?

It's just odd that a computer can't play an FLV file.  Or that and FLV file is longer than 15 minutes (youtubes newest limit).  Just probing for additional details so one can answer the original question.

---

OP: My car wont start?

Q: did you use the key?

OP: Why wont my car start?

Q: does it have gas?

OP: Everyone else car starts.

Q: what type of car?

OP: Car?  did I say car.  No, it's a bicycle.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Rasta...you're right.  He did answer the question.  Didn't mean to offend...if I did.  I just had a chuckle there about what I was reading, but maybe it was just me being in a good mood on a Saturday morning.   ;)

no offense. this thread is a pretty funny read. :)

have a nice weekend.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com