Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Who is buying DAT decks and why?  (Read 4103 times)

Offline tdg455

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Who is buying DAT decks and why?
« on: July 03, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »
Hello,

I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right spot but anyway I have some old DAT decks that haven’t worked in years, a Tascam DA 302 dual dat and a Panasonic SV-3800.
I wanted to sell them and was surprised to see non working decks like my Tascam going for $200 on eBay.
I’m just wondering if people are still recording in this format or is this fueled by nostalgia for old formats?

Tom

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
Re: Who is buying DAT decks and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:19:33 PM »
My guess would be to transfer old tapes. I have a good chunk of tapes to transfer and my DA-P1 needs some repairs, but I'm having a hard time justifying paying to fix it or paying the prices for working unit. Since these are not made any more a working unit is more valuable to someone in need.

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 04:30:28 PM »
I sold my old non-working SONY D3 portable DAT recorder on Ebay a couple years ago and was shocked at how quick it was snatched up. The buyer was from the Philippines.

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 04:31:01 PM »
Also a parts machine . A few yrs ago i bought a hhb pdr 1000  so i'd have a machine for parts in the event one broke paid 150.00 and both still work . A couple dozen dats left to transfer and then? Never know though might run into a batch of dats  and need one . Actually the hhb was a top of the line portable back in the day and made fine tapes.

Offline tdg455

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 06:33:22 PM »
Yeah I’m sure there are plenty of dats still not transferred, I have plenty. I have a Sony ZA5ES that is still working.
The dual dat is what puzzles me.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »
I'm transferring all my old DATs in order to discard them, and am glad that I had more than one player on hand. Of the two that I assumed would be the most reliable, one (a Sony DTC-75ES -- a full-sized "desktop" unit) crapped out entirely (wouldn't load tapes), while the other one (a Sony TCD-D10 Pro, which cost $2800 in its day if I recall correctly) clearly produces more audible errors than the less imposing, small portables. (That recorder is basically one long story of continuing disappointment.)

If none of these had worked, I would definitely have gone looking for the quickest possible replacement.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:04:11 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 07:22:02 PM »
I just bought a fostex PD4 from Doug In Seattle, a really nice forum member. I still have lots of transfers to do, the Fostex is prob. the most reliable deck I've used in a while. Between Melanie's DATs and mine it will take a while, I have two other decks I will prob. get fixed,  two tascams. Once they are transferred I'll prob. sell all but one Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 02:32:31 AM »
For DAT Transcriptions.  Nah, I sure wouldn't want to record on this format anymore. 

The DATs are a mess (tape flips) and they are unstable when stored for long periods of time. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline firemt66

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 10:09:38 AM »
I have one more dat tape to transfer and then I'm very willing to sell my sony D8

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »
My Sony DTC-ZE700 has developed a problem and no longer will load tapes. I still have a Denon DTR-80P and a Sony D7 which were both tuned up by Paul @ Pro Digital with basically 0 hours on them since being serviced. I guess the Denon is coming out of retirement for transfers.  I still have a bunch of stuff to transfer.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 12:32:42 AM »
A buddy mentioned to me the other day that Paul passed away recently; anyone have other recommendations for trustworthy DAT repair service?
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
A buddy mentioned to me the other day that Paul passed away recently; anyone have other recommendations for trustworthy DAT repair service?

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=194528.0
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 07:40:17 AM »
Actually the hhb was a top of the line portable back in the day and made fine tapes.

That's the last functioning DAT machine I have left.  I think I have some others in the garage somewhere - maybe I should sell them.  I have hundreds of DAT tapes of classical concerts I was paid to record, but the chances of anyone now wanting a copy of them is close to zero (and having moved internationally I doubt whether the clients now know where I am). 

But I have a memory of the one time I re-used a reel of olde worlde tape, when I realised just before heading off to a recording that I didn't actually have any new ones in stock.  Having thus wiped it, the musician involved in the wiped recording from several years before requested a copy a few days later... I forget what lie I told him... since when I have kept every reel of tape, every DAT tape, every minidisc, and every hard drive, and probably would even if I transferred the original material to a newer format.  I suspect they will be buried with me when the time comes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com