Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 battery life with 2700mAh NiMH? (Updated with battery comparison)  (Read 9543 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: R-09 battery life with 2700mAh NiMH? (Updated with battery comparison)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 03:26:33 AM »
Yea... That is what I ment.... I've seen a few threads here that say 8 is basically unity and the level you start applying gain.  I've seen a few others that don't agree with this.  All I know is that with my SS Setup so far any where from 9-15 depending on the show seems to get me to comfortable 24bit levels.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 03:40:33 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 12:37:21 PM »
Yea... That is what I ment.... I've seen a few threads here that say 8 is basically unity and the level you start applying gain.  I've seen a few others that don't agree with this.  All I know is that with my SS Setup so far any where from 9-15 depending on the show seems to get me to comfortable 24bit levels.

8 = unity is a myth!

Offline bewildered

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
can you recharge rechargable batterys within the r-09 or must you always have a pair handy?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 01:23:15 PM »
can you recharge rechargable batterys within the r-09 or must you always have a pair handy?
Use separate charger.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 08:35:49 PM »
I might be wrong, but I don't think the battery consumption is related to the bit/sampling rate you use. Even more when there are no mechanical parts involved.

They are more related to headphone current demands, phantom power and LEDs on.

Does the manual specify anything on that point?

Once again: we badly need someone who do serious tests on the H4. with measured data and all. 

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 01:43:12 AM »
I might be wrong, but I don't think the battery consumption is related to the bit/sampling rate you use. Even more when there are no mechanical parts involved.

They are more related to headphone current demands, phantom power and LEDs on.

Does the manual specify anything on that point?

Once again: we badly need someone who do serious tests on the H4. with measured data and all. 

I feel you have a point about recording mode, indicators, and phantom power having effect on battery life, likely ONLY phantom power being used or not and for how much power the connected mic is drawing is significant in making real difference in length of recording time.

No manual so far seems to offer any information on specific power demands with deck modes.

While I have yet to do a review of the new Zoom H4, while doing the bench tests for the reviews of MT and R-04 on my site, I didn't notice significant power changes with recording modes or indications. 

The H4 is quite different from those two decks in having an extensive 'effects' function that may change power in a more significant way, but as mentioned, somebody needs to measure this and post the results.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 06:12:36 AM »
No manual so far seems to offer any information on specific power demands with deck modes.

That's very unusual, isn't it?

In any case we should thank cellular phones research that gave us NimH batteries, who are really a great working horse:  eats very little and plows a lot. NimHs can let you use unsophisticated chargers, do not contaminate and are not memory prone as Nicads were.

I wonder if a Li-Ion battery in AA form would do a better job, if there's such a thing yet, but it would need a specific charger. 

While I have yet to do a review of the new Zoom H4, while doing the bench tests for the reviews of MT and R-04 on my site, I didn't notice significant power changes with recording modes or indications.

What bench tests can you perform? Which is your site?

The H4 is quite different from those two decks in having an extensive 'effects' function that may change power in a more significant way, but as mentioned, somebody needs to measure this and post the results.

I do not think they will.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 09:38:33 AM »
24/96 writes to memory or disk far more often than 16/44..  So there is usually a difference in power consumption. For the 722 it is documented in the manual.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com