Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Live master editing on PC  (Read 1205 times)

Offline bigbadwolf007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Live master editing on PC
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »
Hey,
I've been taping for years just using normal MD with somekinda mic, nothing fancy.
I've been pretty pleased with the results of the recording but I want to take it further.
What programs should I use to get the masters better sounding, I mean removal of crowd noises, clapping and everything like that. Please help a beginner.

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Live master editing on PC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 03:52:34 PM »
audacity, its free
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Live master editing on PC
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »
Audacity is a good place to start.  If you use it, please consider reviewing the Audacity Workflow thread stickied at the top of the forum.  There are plenty of other software options if you wish to consider them:  Sony Sound Forge, Steinberg WaveLab, Magix Samplitude, and many others, including apps for Mac.  Check the stickied "Where do I find (insert software here)?" thread for links to a broad range of software that many in our hobby find useful for a variety of activities.

As for removing crowd noises, clapping, and "everything like that", the approach taken depends in part on the situation specifics.  In general, removing crowd noises while the music's playing playing is difficult, though some have experienced success with iZotope RX.  Reducing between-song clapping to levels even with or quieter than the music, or reducing the dynamic range (i.e. making the quiet parts louder relative to the loud parts / the louder parts quieter relative to the quiet parts) typically involves:  compression, limiting, and / or a volume envelope.  Try a search in this forum on one or more of those terms for more details on what they are, how they work, and how to use them.  Good luck, ask away with additional questions, and welcome to TS!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com