Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on Tascam DA-302 Dual Deck?  (Read 3085 times)

Offline ijwthstd

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Thoughts on Tascam DA-302 Dual Deck?
« on: October 13, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
My DA-20 is still working fine but I saw some of these cheap enough on Craigslist that I am thinking of picking up one as a backup. Will take along tapes to test but curious how this compares to the DA-20 in reliability? Thanks!
"Never have I seen such a derisive comment by an uploader here about the music he is uploading." - TexasSkeptic

"is this a bad recording, or was that just a joke?" - monogwai

2012 Live Music Recap:

http://www.freewebs.com/ijwthstd/apps/blog/show/12314294-2012

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Thoughts on Tascam DA-302 Dual Deck?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:06:14 PM »
I have never owned one but from what I remember from years past - they are pretty unreliable.    I think I remember that they use a similar transport to the DA-P1 - Don't know 100% though.   My DA-P1 was in the shop more than it was in use.

If I was to buy a DAT deck now adays I would only pick up Sony R500/R700 with low hours or a Sony PCM-7040 (cheap (for around $100) - or recently serviced).  These decks use 4 motor transports and perform are very reliable - not to say all 4 motor decks are perfect. 

The PCM-7040 can have issues though - (I have one right now that needs a gear fixed by Prodigital at a cost of about $200 - common issue where a loading gear will actually crack or split in half - Paul can fix it with epoxy, etc and makes the transport better than original).  The other thing about 7040's is that the drum hour meter can be reset and actually has to be reset to 0 once it hits 1000 hours (deck halts operation at 1000 hours) - so be wary of quoted drum hours on these decks.   7040 is probably the best DAT deck ever made otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:17:33 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ijwthstd

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the info. The drum head reset thing sounds really annoying though. I love my Tascam DA-20 and I have another one I bought used that went thru several years of heavy usage before starting to have playback problems. Still use it for rewinding and cue-ing to lessen the load on the other deck.

Also had a bad experience with Pro Digital once so I would rather just toss something if getting it fixed there was the only option.
"Never have I seen such a derisive comment by an uploader here about the music he is uploading." - TexasSkeptic

2012 Live Music Recap:

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:03:57 PM »
Then honestly I would look for a good used R500's or R700's with low hours (you can't reset the drum hours on these decks)  - They usually go for between $100 and $200 on ebay - There was a R500 on ebay with less than 100 hours that had a BIN price of $150 a few days ago (until some idiot bid it up as that was a good deal).

R700's with low hours are harder to find and will run more than $200 as they are typically used for DAT editing (4 head; confidence monitoring, etc)

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »

I used a DA-302 for a long time and it was rock solid. My personal experience. I did not own it, but I used it more than the owner. :P  It was a great machine and never had a single hiccup with it. Depending on its condition and use I would take a look at it.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
Biggest piece of shit I have ever owned.  Went through two units.   First one had both decks fail within the first 6 monts.  Second unit (replacement from Tascam) had both decks fail within 4 months.

Two other traders local to me had the same types of problems with their units.

I strongly agree with Richard.  Find two decks (DA20, R500, etc).  That way in case when one deck dies you're not screwed like you would be with the 302.

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »
The R500 is the best DAT deck I ever owned (and I've owned a lot of them over the years).  I echo the sentiment that the Tascam is a PoS.....
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline ijwthstd

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
Thanks for the help everybody. Someone was selling 6 on Craigslist for $100 each. Interestingly enough, my email asking for the location and if I can bring tapes and headphones to test the equipment was never responded to.

2012 Live Music Recap:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com