Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help me Choose.. Sony M10, Tascam DR-2d or DR-5?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Help me Choose.. Sony M10, Tascam DR-2d or DR-5?
« on: March 19, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
First off, the perfect recorder for me would be the Sony D50.  But it cost too much, my budget is only $200. 

I like the M10, but wish it had cardioid mics.
I like the DR-2r, especially the dual recording feature with both internals and external mics, but wish it had better battery life and I suspect it's internal mics are also omni's.
I like the DR-5's low price and cardioid mics but wonder about the preamps quality compared to the other two.

About 50% of my usage will be with the internal mics recording my daughters vocals with piano accompianient.  Sometimes at home for audition tapes and sometimes performances in theaters or halls.  Usually the recorder will be mounted on the camcorders hotshoe.  At home most of the usage will be with external mics and mixer. 

At this point I'm leaning towards the Dr-2d. 

Thoughts???

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help me Choose.. Sony M10, Tascam DR-2d or DR-5?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
My honest advice would be to save up for the d50 if it is your perfect recorder. While you're saving a little bit of money for the d50, post an ISO ad in the yard sale section to see if anyone has one they can let go of.
I recommend this since you're going to be relying on the internal mics most of the time and its your dream recorder. Your dreams are obtainable. ;)

What kinds of mics do you already have?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
Out of those 3 I chose the DR-2d.  I do agree with rastasean though, if you can save and get a D50 you will not regret it.  That being said, the battery life on the DR-2d with decent alkalines is not as horrible as you might think.  I haven't measured exactly but I recorded for 3 hours with a set of Rayovac alkalines and still had power left.

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
I currently have an AKG C1000S  and a Sennheiser E835.  My main interest in the D50 is because of the cardioid mic pattern, battery life and quality of internal  preamp.  If the DR-2d is cardioid with similiar preamp qualities it would actually be better for me, since I could record two stereo tracks.

Does Tascam ever answer questions in their customer / pre-Sales support area of their web page?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
Pretty sure the DR-2d has cardioids (the manual says "directional" but doesn't specify a polar pattern)...

One thing to bear in mind with the Tascam is that it doesn't take a really hot input signal (6 dBV).  Doesn't sound like that would be a problem for you, but could be an issue for some mic/pre combinations...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com