Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEW - Nagra SD  (Read 9908 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
NEW - Nagra SD
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:22:47 AM »
Just seen THIS.

No idea on price or delivery yet - but looks very interesting for a high quality hand-held recorder.  ;D

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
Re: NEW - Nagra SD
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:40:38 AM »
"hand-held broadcast recorder"; that's an interesting turn of phrase...

I wonder if the plug-in mics are compatible with the previous small-Nagra gear?

Fascinating to see the 24B 96K script on the front panel- they must be quite proud of fitting that into the package... It's got to come at a premium though; I reckon round about £800...?

Gotta say though; it appeals to me more than the ARES-ML stuff...

I wonder if this is why the LB-S got dropped...?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:00:12 AM »
"hand-held broadcast recorder"; that's an interesting turn of phrase...

I wonder if the plug-in mics are compatible with the previous small-Nagra gear?

Fascinating to see the 24B 96K script on the front panel- they must be quite proud of fitting that into the package... It's got to come at a premium though; I reckon round about £800...?

Gotta say though; it appeals to me more than the ARES-ML stuff...

JimP

from the page John linked to:
It uses the same accessories (Microphones, cables etc) as the popular ARES-M / MII /ML range of recorders which it is designed to supersede.

Preliminary Technical specifications Nagra SD
General
Data Storage medium                                                  SD card
Recording Method                                                     Digital (PCM) or Digital compression
Compression types                                                    ISO MPEG Layer II, Layer III
File Format                                                          16/24 Bit Wave Format (xxx.WAV) or
                                                                     MPEG Raw (xxx.MP2 + MP3)
Sampling Rate                                                        From 24 to 96 kHz
Bit-Rates                                                            32 to 384 kb/s
Mono/stereo                                                          Switchable
Dynamic range adjustment                                             40 dB for 0 dB record
Filters                                                              “Flat”, “LFA”
Automatic gain control                                               “ON”, “OFF”
Inputs
Mike inputs                                                          3.5 mm stereo jack connector
Mike powering                                                        3V Electret
Mike input sensitivity                                               Min. 1.5 mV for electret capsules full scale
                                                                     Min 650μV for dynamic capsules full scale
Line input                                                           3.5 mm stereo jack connector
Line input sensitivity,                                              Low & High range 33 mV to 6.2 V for 0 dB
                                                                     recording
Outputs
Headphone                                                            3.5 mm stereo jack connector
Line output                                                          3.5 mm stereo jack connector
Line output level                                                    Maximum 0.9 V
Recorded file
THD + Noise at 1 kHz                                                 0.025 % Max
Frequency response                                                   30 Hz – 20 kHz (-3 dB in EE mode)
Total dynamic range line output                                      Up to 80 dB
Total dynamic range on recorded file                                 Up to 90 dB
Built-in speaker                                                     0.1 W
USB                                                                  2.0
Power supply / Physical
Internal batteries                                                   2 x “AA” cells (> 10 hours of operation)
Dimensions                                                           107 x 68 x 24 mm (4.2 x 2.6 x 1 inch)
                                                                     without plug-on microphone
Weight                                                               250 g, (0.5 lb) including batteries, without
                                                                     plug-on microphone
                             Specifications are subject to modification without notice.
                        Kudelski Group, route de Genève 22, 1033 Cheseaux, Switzerland.
Tel : +41 21 732 0101                                                            www.nagraaudio.com
Fax : +41 21 732 0100                                                           audio_pro@nagra.com

I will say it does look very interesting. Curious what the price will be.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »

Unlikely - I think the LB-S got dropped because they are including an optional recorder in the two-channel mic. pre. that will give extra channels to the Nagra VI.

This will have higher quality mic. pres. than the LB and be about the same price as the LB-S was intended to be.

They say they will show this at NAB next month.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
Looks sexy... thanks for the post John.  ;D

edit: Just a thought, would be nice if they would have put a digi in on this sucker.

J
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:25:21 AM by taperj »
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »

edit: Just a thought, would be nice if they would have put a digi in on this sucker.

J

I agree. While I'm sure it uses higher quality components with better pres etc, and has a better SNR and sounds better than say the Sony M10, it appears to have the same functions as many other units that will cost 1/4 of what this will likely cost, at least in the USA. If this offered something new (like digital in/out in a small form factor, multi channel, phantom, etc) I would be much more excited.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
Fascinating to see the 24B 96K script on the front panel- they must be quite proud of fitting that into the package...

I'm honestly at a loss if they say that the total recorded file dynamics are around 90db (as noted in the specs posted), what you need 24bit recording for...

based on my experience, it looks great for the reporter out there in the field, but I'm not sure it fits our needs much. Did I miss something?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »
based on my experience, it looks great for the reporter out there in the field, but I'm not sure it fits our needs much. Did I miss something?

I noticed the 90db as well also the frequency response seems a little narrow 30..20Khz for 96Khz sampling rate.  I don't see this as a recorder for use in recording shows but more or less for use by reporters in the field (especially Swiss reporters  ;D ).

It appears that there are tabs at the base of the microphone - I wonder if these are for removal of the capsule, to attach a windscreen, or something else? - Update I guess I should have read the link first - so the mic is detachable....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:35:22 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »

J

I agree. While I'm sure it uses higher quality components with better pres etc, and has a better SNR and sounds better than say the Sony M10, it appears to have the same functions as many other units that will cost 1/4 of what this will likely cost, at least in the USA. If this offered something new (like digital in/out in a small form factor, multi channel, phantom, etc) I would be much more excited.

Again, from John's link, empahsis added:
Housed in a sturdy aluminum case it uses a selection of different plug-on Nagra microphones or, a XLR cable for an external dynamic microphone or line input.
The audio storage media is an extractable SD memory card. The Nagra SD will record PCM linear digital audio at sampling frequencies of 24 kHz up to 96 kHz or MPEG compressed audio.

Guessing it will take an AES/EBU signal, or not. Depends on how they route the signal.

Ideal for journalists, sports reporters, lawyers, businessmen

Obviously we aren't the target market but only time will tell if it is usable for a taper's typical applications.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:14:23 PM by flipp »

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
HI All,
So, with the lack of a true phantom power supply, will the user have to invest in all new electret mics? That doesn't sound like such a good deal given the investment in mics that so many users here have. Or, is there a way around this? Also, the lack of XLR's also seems to be a drawback. For a pocket sized portable I can understand the design decision. Still ......

What comes across to me is this recorder is not intended for serious work but is more of a high tech toy. A nice one, to be sure. But then, I could be wrong. Won't be the first time.

Sparky

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
No digital in or out...........seems like a good unit for a reporter in a "war zone" but for music not a very good value. A "MT II" can be had for less than $200.00 and it has a digital in. No need to waste money on this dead end unit unless you like to throw your money away. But Nagra does make pretty stuff!

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »
I wouldn't say its a waste of money.  And I am sure it won't have the reliability issues the micro-tracker 1 or 2 has.  It appear very well built and Nagra uses high quality parts.  The body alone seems built like a tank.  There is currently nothing in its category that has a all metal body.  While digital in would be great....the type of setting this would shine is stealthing....  This appears what those of us who like Sound Devices wish they would build.... a small blown out to the max uber small recorder with line in..... as is I would pay 800-1k....to bad it didn't output 9volt plug in power on the mic end....then I would swim the Atlantic to get my hands on one....

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 05:45:59 AM »
HI All,
So, with the lack of a true phantom power supply, will the user have to invest in all new electret mics? That doesn't sound like such a good deal given the investment in mics that so many users here have. Or, is there a way around this? Also, the lack of XLR's also seems to be a drawback. For a pocket sized portable I can understand the design decision. Still ......

What comes across to me is this recorder is not intended for serious work but is more of a high tech toy. A nice one, to be sure. But then, I could be wrong. Won't be the first time.

Sparky

No, not at all - it's more like a serious well-made pocket recorder for a reporter that will be vastly better than the cheap toys people normally get and the results would be very much better.

Nagra mic. pre-amps are of legendary quality and the SD would have been built to a specification, rather than down to a price.

People buying small pocket recorders do not normally need phantom power for external mics. - if they do, then a larger recorder like the LB or the new unit (name unknown) that Nagra will be showing at NAB next month will do the job better (or just get an external battery phantom PSU for the SD, because you are unlikely to be needing the pocketability if you are setting up phantom powered mics).

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:21 AM »
I wouldn't say its a waste of money.  And I am sure it won't have the reliability issues the micro-tracker 1 or 2 has.  It appear very well built and Nagra uses high quality parts.  The body alone seems built like a tank.  There is currently nothing in its category that has a all metal body.  While digital in would be great....the type of setting this would shine is stealthing....  This appears what those of us who like Sound Devices wish they would build.... a small blown out to the max uber small recorder with line in..... as is I would pay 800-1k....to bad it didn't output 9volt plug in power on the mic end....then I would swim the Atlantic to get my hands on one....

OOK

I think you hit that nail on the head with this post.

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
This appears what those of us who like Sound Devices wish they would build.... a small blown out to the max uber small recorder with line in..... as is I would pay 800-1k....to bad it didn't output 9volt plug in power on the mic end....then I would swim the Atlantic to get my hands on one....

Full ACK, as i understand the concept of this recorder it has no fixed built in internal mics, it would be fine for most of us using external mics, pre´s and gear ...
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com