Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: trouble with getting levels right on Tascam DR-2d  (Read 3291 times)

Offline poniverus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
trouble with getting levels right on Tascam DR-2d
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
I took my rig (shure sm81>littlebox>tascam dr-2d) out for the first time yesterday for the Lettuce & Soulive show. I ran my dr-2d on the lowest gain with my gains on my preamp were all the way down and I was still topping out at the high points. I ended up using the level central feature on auto and even tried the limiter setting. While it did help in pulling a somewhat listenable recording, there were still parts that sound like the volume is getting cut at the points where it would top out (which makes sense). My question is there any other way to deal with this that my noob self is missing?

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
Re: trouble with getting levels right on Tascam DR-2d
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
The output of the preamp goes into the Line input. 

Offline poniverus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
Really? wow. I was putting it in the mic input. Thanks!

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
Yes, preamp > line input if you are only running two tracks, but I would have thought if you had the mic input sensitivity set to low and the levels ~70, you wouldn't be pegging it with the Littlebox at minimum gain.  Do you have transformers in the Littlebox?

Offline poniverus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:36:21 AM »
I'm not sure. If it came with it then I do, because I didn't specify anything necessarily when I ordered it.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
If you didn't specify for it, you don't have it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
I think the standard minimum gain on the littlebox is +6 dB? You'd be hitting the overload point on the DR-2d's mic input, set to low, at ~117 dBSPL with that mic and assuming a minimum gain of +6 on the littlebox...Certainly a possibility...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
Tascam's specifications on DR2d maximum input levels:

Microphone input: -16dBV (low gain setting)
Line input: +6dBV
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
^^^ Yes, I was basing my estimate on that -16 dBV figure (~-13.78 dBu) and an SM81 sensitivity of 5.6 mV/Pa.  At a sound pressure level of around 123 dB, those mics would be putting out roughly -14 dBu (maxing out the input).  Add in the 6 dB minimum gain from the littlebox and you're clipping somewhere around 117 dBSPL, give or take a little...

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
Not sure why anyone would want to use the mic input when you have a little box.  The little box has a much better preamp than the Dr-2d.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
Not sure why anyone would want to use the mic input when you have a little box. 
Two good reasons come to mind when recording 4 channels: either using two preamps- one into each input, or if reserving the line-input for a hot SBD feed and using the mic-input for the preamp, over which you'll have more level control.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline poniverus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:37 PM »
Not sure why anyone would want to use the mic input when you have a little box.  The little box has a much better preamp than the Dr-2d.

It was my first time taping...so being uneducated would be the main problem here.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »

It was my first time taping...so being uneducated would be the main problem here.

I would also consider using the 10db pad on the SM81 its a very hot mic. And it could be overload at the mic it self. Also like others have said only use the line input and shoot for -10 on your VU meter not 0 db.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poniverus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
thanks for all the info!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com