Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to seat JB3 line in plug/socket?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
How to seat JB3 line in plug/socket?
« on: May 08, 2005, 11:56:58 PM »
Sorry if this Q has been asked before...

My JB3 rig was handed off in my "stealth bag" to my friend in the audience today all set up, working perfectly and locked. HOWEVER... the bag must've gotten bumped or somtehing, cause when I played it back it's only recorded on 1 channel. I'm assuming that the 1/8 mini jack plug of my pre got bumped or something and thus slightly pulled out.

I did scrape down the ridge near the socket and the plug does  seat securely... but it clearly UNseats rather too easily. This is the first time it's happened when it counted, but it HAS happened before.  So, my Q is:  Is there any trick way of securing it so that it can't come out unless actively PULLED out?  Duct tape? Any other trick?

TIA.  I know that I can probably tweak the image onto both channels on the computer, but it's still frustrating. Was a good performance, too alas, now only to be recovered by electronic means.................. SIgh.
DPA4060
R09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How to seat JB3 line in plug/socket?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 11:59:26 PM »
For my stealth setup (though not a JB3), I have a right-angle plug that I tape down with gaffers tape (no sticky residue like duct tape).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 12:33:43 AM »
The plug on my pre is straight -since I don't think I'm electronic-savvy enough to rewire it (!!!!)  is it possible to use an adaptor to change it to an L-shaped plug (and without degrading sound quality?).  If so... where would I find such an adaptor?

TIA!!
DPA4060
R09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:44:10 AM »
Yeah, you could use an adapter, but it's just one more link in the chain that could cause a problem.  I bet if you asked one of the cable-making tapers here, they'd swap your straight plug for a right-angle.  Or, I'm sure a local electronics shop will do it for a very small fee.  IME, adapters aren't worth the additional risk / failure points.

RS prolly has adapters, but you'll likely find better ones at a local electronics shop - and, it'll give you an opportunity to schmooze 'em so they replace it for you for free.   ;)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jcrab66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:27:54 AM »
for stealthing i always use a 90 degree adapter on mine and use some 1/4 inch electrical tape to tape the mic cable down to be sure it doesnt move. The only connector I have ever had probs with on the JB3 is my original mic connector which is the stock CSB connector. For some reason you cant push the CSB connector all the way into the JB3 jack without causing channel probs hence the 90 degree adapter
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com