Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Two PMD-660 Questions  (Read 3017 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Two PMD-660 Questions
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »
Sorry if these have already been asked somewhere, but I've got two questions about the 660 that I will be getting in the mail in the next couple of days.

1)  Nicks Picks' review suggests that off-brand CF media didn't work in the unit he demo'ed.  Anybody else experience this?

2)  Will 8 GB CF cards work in the 660?

Thanks

Offline shukenja

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Two PMD-660 Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:55:36 AM »
hello tonedeaf

im not too much of an expert, but..

1) depends what you mean by off-brand. youre pretty sure to use standard sandisk , kingston etc cards, ive never seen anyone complaining on these as you know probably, and i wouldnt go for any of-brand even just because i havent heard of them to be honest. i think its better to spend 40 kudos more beeing sure its working than saving on your nerves, which never end up good way.

2) i dont recall where ive seen that, but i think someone had an issue with 8gig card.  i think 4 is the biggest safe way to go. i remember it was working with 8gig but then the guy had some serious problems, in terms of pmd stoping recording / transfer issues. now, most or reviews ive read are based on max. 2 gig cards which are working fine. 4gig and more were not in field yet, or were too expensive, so unless you stumb upon very very fresh review, i think its best just to go with, say, 2 4gb cards as safe solution. but as i say, dont cite me on this one, im just unsure where i saw that...

i hope that helps... :)

OOPS, EDIT:
heres what ive found;

Re: Marantz PMD 660
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word from Doug is...

No Go on the 8GB for the 660.

He also says the larger cards use more power and introduce more noise.

Don't ask me how/why but I've learned to beleive him.  I may be ordering 4 2GB Cards for my box.

discussion: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,33210.0.html
i think you better go and mail Doug with those questions. If someone knows, hese the man to ask.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 08:58:56 AM by shukenja »
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message.
... -> 2 x studio projects c1->pmd 600 -> ...

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:18:49 AM »
I'm using Sandisk Ultra II 2gig cards ( I have 2 2gig cards). Haven't had a problem with them. I tried PNY and it didn't work. If you search the other PMD660 threads in this forum you'll get some good ideas on what cards people have been using.

I don't know if an 8 gig card will work. You can get 3 hours 13 minutes on a 2 gig card. Personally I'd rather have a couple smaller cards instead of one big card. This way if I have a problem with a card I still have others to use.

Hope that helps. Is your 660 modded?
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline tfs8271

• Needs to get out more...
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 09:44:39 AM »
Never a problem from Kingston. I have a 1, 2 & 4 GB card. Six and half hours with a 4 GB......you shouldn't need a 8 GB card. Save the money you will spend on an 8 Gb (that won't work anyways) and buy a 4 GB and a quick portable harddrive that has a CF slot/reader. Most photo shops have them...I haven't tried one to see if they work, but Creative Labs Zen W has a CF reader and will play wav files.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:32:52 AM »
I bought an Sandisk Ultra III 4 GB for $86 and have been really happy with mine. It will hold 6:23 of uncompressed 44.1 wave files. Pretty solid. As far as I know a 4GB is all it will handle.

Lookis like they are on sale $86 - $30 rebate = $56 for the best CF card out there. Here is the link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/356017-REG/Sandisk_SDCFX3409690_4GB_Extreme_III_CompactFlash.html

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »
Thanks alot for the answers everyone.  OK, so 4GB it is!  I have to agree with the comment about more small cards being better than one big one.  My thoughts about the big one were kinda skewed by thinking about getting a whole days worth of stuff on one card at a festival, but that's not important.

Also, I have a loptop that I'll take with me and download nightly or maybe I should say morning-ly since late night sets are probably the last thing (other than plugging in for some recharging) I usually do at a festival and then use the morning to kinda regroup, repack, etc.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.  +T's to you all!

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:02:50 AM »
Is your 660 modded?

I don't even have it yet.  I think it went in the mail today.  I traded an R-09 and some other stuff for the 660 and some odds and ends. 

But this one's not modded at all.  I'm pretty happy with my SD-MP2 pre-amp, but I am giving thought to having Chris do a Busman mod to the 660.  I'm pretty happy with the BMP+2 mod he did on my UA-5 and I guess his mod to the 660 is quite alike.

Any of you have modded boxes?

BTW, I guess my most desirable mod would be a W+ACM Oade mod, but this isn't an Oade box and since I like the MP2, I decided that I didn't want to put an extra $350 into upgrading the 660 just to eliminate the extra box, by running the MP2 with the 660, for stealthiness.  However, I might consider $170, which is I think what Chris charges for his 660 mod.

BTW, yes I know that Oade won't work on a box that isn't bought from him...I was just using that as an example of why I decided not to spend the extra scratch for an Oade mod box.

Offline paullySC

• Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 12:19:53 PM »
Is your 660 modded?

I don't even have it yet.  I think it went in the mail today.  I traded an R-09 and some other stuff for the 660 and some odds and ends. 

But this one's not modded at all.  I'm pretty happy with my SD-MP2 pre-amp, but I am giving thought to having Chris do a Busman mod to the 660.  I'm pretty happy with the BMP+2 mod he did on my UA-5 and I guess his mod to the 660 is quite alike.

Any of you have modded boxes?

BTW, I guess my most desirable mod would be a W+ACM Oade mod, but this isn't an Oade box and since I like the MP2, I decided that I didn't want to put an extra $350 into upgrading the 660 just to eliminate the extra box, by running the MP2 with the 660, for stealthiness.  However, I might consider $170, which is I think what Chris charges for his 660 mod.

BTW, yes I know that Oade won't work on a box that isn't bought from him...I was just using that as an example of why I decided not to spend the extra scratch for an Oade mod box.

That's cool, I was just curious.
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
Thus far I have only used the Kingston 2GB card, with zero problems.
I don't expect to be using any other cards at this point.  2GB gives me over 3 hours at 16/44,
which is plenty for the music I record.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline shukenja

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 03:13:05 PM »
i didnt went for modded one as im doing field recordings, so i rather like to invest in good set of mics and preamp (maybe).

anyway. glad you sorted that out ;)
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message.
... -> 2 x studio projects c1->pmd 600 -> ...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com