Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Scathing Review of Portables. Comments?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Scathing Review of Portables. Comments?
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:36:33 PM »
Opines that all the great Edirol and Sony Recordings I've Heard are Really Crap.  I think he fails to take into consideration good microphones and preamps and a line level but be that as it may.

Comments?

Links to Article are Here:http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/par_200808/index.php?startid=24

or Here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/233556/3034927/ProsumerPortablesInAProWorl.jpg

Comments?
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Scathing Review of Portables. Comments?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
I don't think the review on nxtbook is scathing, at all.  The reviewer states the current batch of inexpensive portable recorders is pretty darn good -- but would be better (for him) if the standard feature set included X, Y, and Z.

For example:

For me, the ideal portable flash recorder will have at least the following:

• Individual L & R balanced inputs with phantom power
  • Analog gain control and pads
  • Digital input (output a plus)
  • Standardly available batteries
  • File naming & trim editing
  • BWF support

Most of the current crop of recorders truly represent an extraordinary amount of features and value - kudos for that!  So...given my "ideal recorder" box above, am I expecting too much from a prosumer unit?  I don't think so.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »
The criticism of digital level controls echoes comments I (and others) have made many times.  Indeed, some of the wording is rather familiar...

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
I don't think the review on nxtbook is scathing, at all.  The reviewer states the current batch of inexpensive portable recorders is pretty darn good -- but would be better (for him) if the standard feature set included X, Y, and Z.

For example:

For me, the ideal portable flash recorder will have at least the following:

• Individual L & R balanced inputs with phantom power
  • Analog gain control and pads
  • Digital input (output a plus)
  • Standardly available batteries
  • File naming & trim editing
  • BWF support

Most of the current crop of recorders truly represent an extraordinary amount of features and value - kudos for that!  So...given my "ideal recorder" box above, am I expecting too much from a prosumer unit?  I don't think so.

The reviewer can satisfy almost all his requirements with the FR2-LE.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:50 PM »
Opines that all the great Edirol and Sony Recordings I've Heard are Really Crap.  I think he fails to take into consideration good microphones and preamps and a line level but be that as it may.

Comments?

Links to Article are Here:http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/par_200808/index.php?startid=24

or Here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/233556/3034927/ProsumerPortablesInAProWorl.jpg

Comments?

He's a voice in the wilderness AKAIKS and his comments are based on his current work flow. BTW: I don't think he mentioned 'audio quality' he's just complaining that the handy-recorders don't have all the features HE wants...well DOH! use an FR2-LE / R44 / 702 or something, after all you are a 'professional' so what's the problem? :)

Strange complaints, who cares if the recorder can't make a mono file? You can do that in post in a mouse-click and a twiddle (I assume he's feeding the recorder an external mono signal) AND what's wrong with a stereo version of a mono signal anyway (apart from file size). Similarly, the displaying record level and run-time? Most that I have seen do...particularly the latest models. And at the end he is looking for Wi-Fi connectivity? What pro recorders have that??? His complaints about space are silly, 16 Gb cards are now what $50?

The main reason this review is useless, is that he fails to name any of the recorders he is complaining about, it's a general vent against what? You need to be specific, he wasn't.

I have no fear whatsoever venturing out into the world to do a location recording with my R09HR and a MixPre. After all, if you are a 'professional' you are going to have a load of preamps & mics laying about, the handy-recorder lacking certain features matters not a bit.

digifish

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:41:45 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
The criticism of digital level controls echoes comments I (and others) have made many times.  Indeed, some of the wording is rather familiar...

Yes, but what units don't offer some form of analog gain?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:19:52 PM »
Steve Murphy is no smarter than any of use here on TS.  He's just in a position to export his opinion to the general public. 

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
Steve Murphy is no smarter than any of use here on TS.  He's just in a position to export his opinion to the general public. 

Professionals don't need to have the limitations of digital recorders explained to them, they just need to see the spec sheet, it will give them an idea if it worth further investigation. This article then purports to be aimed at audio 'professionals' but is more of a swipe at a class of recorders that have improved mobile recording options & quality a significant amount. Perhaps the 'professional' author, needs to differentiate his choice of equipment from that of the incoming tide of prosumers with great quality handy-recorders? :)

IMO the most important differentiating factor between equipment are the presence or absence of XLR connectors, phantom powering and self-noise. The pro can work around all these except self-noise, if the recorder has obvious hiss or digital noise in the recording it's a waste.

digifish
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:47:23 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »
My wife and I started with  cassette machines in the early 80's, I switched to D.A.T. in the early '90's and have seen the advent of new tech. in those years. Let's face it , for stealth the location has more to do with end result than using higher end equip.(using decent mics, of course)What recording would you rather have?Theone from the back of the hall under the overhang on a "pro" machine or the one fob with a small digital handheld using good mics and phantom power? If you can't get it past security it's pointless to even attempt larger units.We use a microtrack with either Nak.701 cards or4v shoeps with separate phantom power box. Tight package,haven't had it discovered yet. Battery issues are a pain, but not unworkable. As someone who not only can't afford to indulge my recording jones as I did in "my youth" but can't afford these crazy ticket prices either I believe that someone on a budget has a real use for these machines and with a patch out of a killer rig "decent recordings" can still be had.  Bob R.
Melanie and Bob

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com