Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack II Opinions  (Read 8097 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: Microtrack II Opinions
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 07:47:15 PM »
Yep, version 1.07

and Transcend Compact Flash 8 gig cards
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »
Been having problems.......sometimes when i hit record, i get nothing after three or four
button pushes, then all of a sudden it works.

don't do that. press the record button once. it will take 5 or 6 seconds for the recording to start. this is normal and just takes a bit getting used to. think of it like a  d8 dat, press record and it takes a few seconds for the tape to load and start the reels rolling.

pressing the record button multiple times WILL cause problems.

as for the unit locking up after 3-4 hours, is this at 24bit? at 24/48 you have about 1hr55min before a new file is created, at 24/96 its more like 1hr. do you have the auto split function set to on? I'm not sure why it would lock up on you if you have auto split on unless your firmware is not the most recent. it would also be that you are reaching the end of your battery life. are you using an external power source?

the only way i can restart is pull the card out, then of course when i reboot the files are gone.

again...don't do that, at least not with the power on!!!! hold the power button down for 8 seconds or so and it will power down.

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline edtyre

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:23 PM »
Maybe i just need a course on how to use it correctly.
The first 3 times i used it, everything went smoothly.

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Chris K

• Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »
once you get the hang of it it is a reliable unit. some other things to consider:

1) make sure you have a decent external battery pack I can make you one if you like
2) reformat the card before a new recording session, but only after transferring your audio files of the MT and onto your computer, and after making a backup copy (dvd/cd etc)
3) make sure your preamp is on and feeding a spdif signal PRIOR to turning on your MT
4) if you need to change the bit rate on the device (from 16 to 24) then you should reboot the MT
5) use the HOLD button while recording, hit the volume button to turn on the backlight
6) have fun (most important)

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 08:46:04 PM »
don't do that. press the record button once. it will take 5 or 6 seconds for the recording to start. this is normal and just takes a bit getting used to. think of it like a  d8 dat, press record and it takes a few seconds for the tape to load and start the reels rolling.

Gotta love a recorder where you hit record and *nothing happens by (poor) design*.     And to think this is Version 2 of the device.

I hate m-audio.

Offline edtyre

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »
Did a 5 hour test recording last night. Formatted card, kept unit off until preamp is on
put the hold on. Ran off external battery pack.

NO problems whatsoever!!

Thanks Chris for the advise, i guess i expected it to work just like my
other recorders.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »
once you get the hang of it it is a reliable unit. some other things to consider:

1) make sure you have a decent external battery pack I can make you one if you like
2) reformat the card before a new recording session, but only after transferring your audio files of the MT and onto your computer, and after making a backup copy (dvd/cd etc)
3) make sure your preamp is on and feeding a spdif signal PRIOR to turning on your MT
4) if you need to change the bit rate on the device (from 16 to 24) then you should reboot the MT
5) use the HOLD button while recording, hit the volume button to turn on the backlight

One other tip

Turn DMA off in the options.

I had it on after the last firmware upgrade, and it locked up when connected spdif to the Apogee Minime

As a bit bucket, this is the only time it has ever failed me.

The analog inputs are not hateful.......not optimal, but not bad when run in front of a preamp

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »

One other tip

Turn DMA off in the options.

I had it on after the last firmware upgrade, and it locked up when connected spdif to the Apogee Minime

As a bit bucket, this is the only time it has ever failed me.

The analog inputs are not hateful.......not optimal, but not bad when run in front of a preamp

I agree.  It seems that the MT2 gets some overly due criticism.  Why is that?  I've run analog in quite a bit.  Internal pres can be noisy but as mentioned an external pre overcomes this.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 08:21:19 AM »
fwiw i have had a mt1 for a while and NEVER had a single issue
running it mostly digi in
but some line in w/ 1/4
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline edtyre

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »
Since i started this thread i have learned how to run my MT2 the right way.
Refer back to Chris K's post (thanks Chris)

Actually built up enough confidence to run with it solo and not just as a back-up.
My use has been only as a bit bucket and works fine. I'll report back when i use
it line in.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »

Actually built up enough confidence to run with it solo and not just as a back-up.
My use has been only as a bit bucket and works fine. I'll report back when i use
it line in.

:thumbsup:
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 10:17:34 AM »

it line in.

nice work. I have had success going 2 x 1/4 trs male to mini 1/8 male into the mic in. this was off of a board that I think had balanced outputs

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »
It works great as a bit bucket as long as you are going Digi In

Does that mean it's not a good choice if it's not to be used as a bit bucket?

I am not planning to use it as such, thinking of going in through line in and eventually on balanced mic in.

The problemms the MT II had were solved or not with the latest firmware?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »
Been having problems.......sometimes when i hit record, i get nothing after three or four
button pushes, then all of a sudden it works.

pressing the record button multiple times WILL cause problems.

as for the unit locking up after 3-4 hours, is this at 24bit? at 24/48 you have about 1hr55min before a new file is created, at 24/96 its more like 1hr. do you have the auto split function set to on? I'm not sure why it would lock up on you if you have auto split on unless your firmware is not the most recent. it would also be that you are reaching the end of your battery life. are you using an external power source?

the only way i can restart is pull the card out, then of course when i reboot the files are gone.

again...don't do that, at least not with the power on!!!! hold the power button down for 8 seconds or so and it will power down.

How do you set the auto split option?
I thought it was automatic...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com