Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT Users, Please step inside  (Read 11206 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: MT Users, Please step inside
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 04:50:49 PM »
I use a Seagate 5gb Microdrive. I have never had a problem. I do think the Microdrives eat power more quickly, but otherwise it is hard to notice any difference. Time and time remaining work fine too.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline cpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 07:05:25 PM »
Transcend 120x 4GB CF...love it! $225 shipped:

http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=764

Bought it after having problems with a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive and a Ridata 4GB 80x CF (which might have been a bad card).

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 09:22:27 PM »
45x 2 GB Kingston Elite = No problems at all

4GB Hitachi Microdrive = Again,  no problems at all

6GB Hitachi Microdrive = Similar problems as already listed. Have to add dummy files to get the MT to register the correct time remaining, etc.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 09:29:41 PM »
I just picked up a 60x SanDisk Ultra II 2GB and tested it out.  Haven't seen any problems yet.  Looks like it working.
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)
------------------------------------------------------

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
A PNY Technologies 1GB slow card can be added to the list.  No speed rating, cheap @ approx. $50.  No problems, except that the card should not be filled to capacity, as that will cause the WAV file to become unusable.  I usually leave about a minute to be safe.

There's a TMP directory created when the MT formats media.  I wouldn't be surprised if the PortalPlayer Aeronix OS keeps some buffers on the card, so that when the card gets filled, the buffers run out of space and a corrupted WAV file results.  Just guessing at this point, will have to do more research...

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
Transcend 120x 4GB CF...love it! $225 shipped:

http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=764

Bought it after having problems with a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive and a Ridata 4GB 80x CF (which might have been a bad card).

Craig

Ok, I'm confused about the large price differences on this site between say, a 4GB Transcend 120X for $225, and a slower 4gb card like 4GB Lexar Media 80X for $441!  Or in the 8GB category, we see 8GB Transcend 120X for $439, but then 8GB Lexar Media 40X Pro Digital Camera Compact Flash Memory
for an incredible $870!  So, double the price for half the speed? Why is one manufacturer so much cheaper, not to mention faster, if the technology is basically the same from everybody?  That 8GB 120X card is awefully tempting, given it's only a little more money than the most expensive 4GB stuff. 

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »
Lexar Professional 80x 2GB, works great.

Sandisk 133x ExtremeIII 4GB, works great,  down to -13deg (haven't been that cold yet, would think maybe the MT would be the shortcoming before it gets that cold, but I have used it near freezing temperatures with no problems at all)

-dvn
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 07:47:20 PM »
45x 2 GB Kingston Elite = No problems at all

4GB Hitachi Microdrive = Again,  no problems at all

6GB Hitachi Microdrive = Similar problems as already listed. Have to add dummy files to get the MT to register the correct time remaining, etc.

Can you link me to a tut on how to create these dummy files? I missed this one somehow.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 12:35:02 AM »
just put a wav file on the card that is over 2gb's and you're set.

I usually throw a few of my last recordings on there or just don't delete them off the card when i'm done.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 02:28:59 AM »
kingston 4g 45x y0! only problems are user error. Ive ran spdif in 16/44.1
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
Sandisk 4GB CF @24/48, no problems at all. This is NOT the Ultra II card.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 06:10:23 AM »
The new firmware seems to allow slower CF cards to format without previous troubles.  However, even if formated correctly, some of these slower cards will NOT work reliably at >48K sample rates. 

Suggest when stating a CF card as working OK to include what sample rate was tried.

Here is a review in progress: www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »

I usually throw a few of my last recordings on there or just don't delete them off the card when i'm done.

So, in effect, I'm using a 4GB microdrive? Is this only to fix the "time remaining" bug or does it actually allow you to use the fulle space where you wouldn't be able to otherwise?

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 12:47:40 PM »

So, in effect, I'm using a 4GB microdrive? Is this only to fix the "time remaining" bug or does it actually allow you to use the fulle space where you wouldn't be able to otherwise?

The problem with the MicroTrack is that when the free space on any media is over approx 4GB it get's confused about how much free space there really is. What you need to do is put on enough files or audio tracks to lower the free space to under 4gb to initially avoid the bug. Then do some actual audio recording. As you fill up the media with these new tracks you can then delete the filler tracks you added in the first place (since doing so will not bring the free space back up to the critial 4GB limit).  Then you can use the rest of the space and fill it up until full. Just remember, all you need to do is keep the free space to less than 4GB and you'll be fine. 

P.S. I don't want to get you too excited but my sources tell me that there could be a new release that fixes this any day now.  Ok, maybe a week. But still, they say it's coming.

J.T.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2006, 03:28:09 AM »
Used the Sandisk Ultra II 4GB with no problems of any kind (at least memory related).
Socks are overrated.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com