Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT Users, Please step inside  (Read 11207 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Re: MT Users, Please step inside
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 04:01:36 AM »
just put a wav file on the card that is over 2gb's and you're set.

I usually throw a few of my last recordings on there or just don't delete them off the card when i'm done.

So, in effect, I'm using a 4GB microdrive? Is this only to fix the "time remaining" bug or does it actually allow you to use the fulle space where you wouldn't be able to otherwise?

The problem with the MicroTrack is that when the free space on any media is over approx 4GB it get's confused about how much free space there really is. What you need to do is put on enough files or audio tracks to lower the free space to under 4gb to initially avoid the bug. Then do some actual audio recording. As you fill up the media with these new tracks you can then delete the filler tracks you added in the first place (since doing so will not bring the free space back up to the critial 4GB limit).  Then you can use the rest of the space and fill it up until full. Just remember, all you need to do is keep the free space to less than 4GB and you'll be fine. 

P.S. I don't want to get you too excited but my sources tell me that there could be a new release that fixes this any day now.  Ok, maybe a week. But still, they say it's coming.

J.T.

Hopefully that's true.  I experienced this bug first-hand tonight and couldn't record the entire set.  Missed the last 5-8 minutes of Animal Collective's set and didn't get any of their performance of "Purple Bottle".  I'm not too mad but it is rather annoying.

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
Transcend 120x 4GB CF...love it! $225 shipped:

http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=764

Bought it after having problems with a 6GB Hitachi Microdrive and a Ridata 4GB 80x CF (which might have been a bad card).

Craig

Ok, I'm confused about the large price differences on this site between say, a 4GB Transcend 120X for $225, and a slower 4gb card like 4GB Lexar Media 80X for $441!  Or in the 8GB category, we see 8GB Transcend 120X for $439, but then 8GB Lexar Media 40X Pro Digital Camera Compact Flash Memory
for an incredible $870!  So, double the price for half the speed? Why is one manufacturer so much cheaper, not to mention faster, if the technology is basically the same from everybody?  That 8GB 120X card is awefully tempting, given it's only a little more money than the most expensive 4GB stuff. 

I'll take it one step further.  Can someone explain what the 80x vs 133x actually is and what it does? 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=5575

B&H Photo has 4gb 133x Lexar cards for $269.99 and 4gb 80x cards for $349.99.  I can't see any difference between the two except the "speed", and I thought higher was better.  What am I missing here?  Thanks.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »
i use a 6gb microdrive and have never used the "dummy" file....never needed one, never experienced this bug

at 24/48 the max recording time shows over 5 and 1/2 hrs. you just have to keep in mind that at the 1hr 55min mark (2gb) you will need to start a new file. to do this hit the red record button. a pop-up will show up on the display saying "writing file" and when the pop-up goes away hit record again and a new file will start. total time lost in my experience is about 6 seconds.

now, at 24/96 you will only get about 50min to the 2gb limit.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »
i use a 6gb microdrive and have never used the "dummy" file....never needed one, never experienced this bug

at 24/48 the max recording time shows over 5 and 1/2 hrs. you just have to keep in mind that at the 1hr 55min mark (2gb) you will need to start a new file. to do this hit the red record button. a pop-up will show up on the display saying "writing file" and when the pop-up goes away hit record again and a new file will start. total time lost in my experience is about 6 seconds.

now, at 24/96 you will only get about 50min to the 2gb limit.

This interests me.  Are you running a different firmware than the latest version?  And are you recording via S/PDIF or TRS??

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
version 1.2.0 and either trs or coax in
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
SanDisk Ultra II 4GB - 24/48, never any problems

Lexar Pro 80x 2 GB - 24/48, never any problems

PNY 1 GB - 24/48, never any problems

Dane Elec 4GB - various problems with settings as low as 16/44.1. I would stay away from these cards  for the MT
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »
fwiw, I have experienced a snafu. I recorded a show on friday, with the MT, opened it up, transfered the file to the hd. I can't open the file with sound forge or cdwav. I have been using the MT as a portable hd though in the downtime, pushing folders of flac and shn files on it from one cpu to the next. maybe this has/had something to do with it.

Oh yeah, kingston 4g 45x card, spdif in, 16/44.1, internal battery
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »
I can't open the file with sound forge or cdwav.

Maybe try re-opening the file as RAW (dunno if SF or CDWave can do this...I know CEP/Audition can) and re-building the header by then doing a Save As and specifying the appropriate WAV attributes?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sparkjockey

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2006, 07:52:59 AM »
Sandisk Extreme III 2GB - 24/48, no problems.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com