Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-D  (Read 25241 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-D
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
Crap! We can't get both channel 7& 8 with the "D"?

what?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Chadfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »
It sounded like the last guy said the AES out of the MixPre-D is only one channel. I wanted to use the MixPre D to feed my spdif input for channels 7 & 8 on my Tascam DR-680. I guess for 800.00 I could just get another DR-680 and have 6 more tracks.
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

kirk97132

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 02:05:46 AM »
AES is stereo just like spdif.  1 AES jack = two digital tracks

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »
The MixPre-D carries L&R AES digital outputs via one XLR-3 connector.  This is a very common way to provide AES digital outputs (and inputs).

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »
Right on. That's a relief. Not that I'll be buying one any time soon, as I have a regular MixPre. But for future reference...
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
Since not everyone on TS is a member of the yahoo group nature recordist, I thought I would post this completely unabridged opinion of someone's thoughts on the mixpre-D.

The MixPre-D doesn't look like anything to be excited about judging from the specs. It appears to be their old design with a couple of new features, and is more expensive. Transformer inputs are a joke in comparison to modern integrated circuits. The input noise and dynamic range of the digital out is comparable to a $200 Sony PCM-M10, which has an integrated recorder. The 103dB digital output is a very inexpensive add-on and is closer to 16-bit quality than being 24-bit. There is no spec given for input noise with the phantom power turned on nor when at lower gains. It is certainly a battery hog. The connectors for the dedicated output for DSLR use are uncommon, so their idea is to sell an expensive cable to you that you will have trouble finding if you needed one in a pinch. I am still trying to figure out what are the "mixer" features of this microphone preamp? It does give XLR, phantom power and novel AES and USB output, which are very useful features. The AES out can not be used at the same time as the XLR outputs. As a DSLR mic amp, the signals are amplified then attenuated which just injects noise from from the circuitry. All the current DSLR mic amps do this, and my guess would be that at least the MixPre-D might be better than DSLR mic amps from BeachTek or JuiceLink, who don't even really give specifications for their products, but at almost twice the price.

Just my thoughts from looking over the information,
Bruce Rutkoski
www.natureguystudio .com
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tlsmith

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
Since not everyone on TS is a member of the yahoo group nature recordist, I thought I would post this completely unabridged opinion of someone's thoughts on the mixpre-D.

The MixPre-D doesn't look like anything to be excited about judging from the specs. It appears to be their old design with a couple of new features, and is more expensive. Transformer inputs are a joke in comparison to modern integrated circuits. The input noise and dynamic range of the digital out is comparable to a $200 Sony PCM-M10, which has an integrated recorder. The 103dB digital output is a very inexpensive add-on and is closer to 16-bit quality than being 24-bit. There is no spec given for input noise with the phantom power turned on nor when at lower gains. It is certainly a battery hog. The connectors for the dedicated output for DSLR use are uncommon, so their idea is to sell an expensive cable to you that you will have trouble finding if you needed one in a pinch. I am still trying to figure out what are the "mixer" features of this microphone preamp? It does give XLR, phantom power and novel AES and USB output, which are very useful features. The AES out can not be used at the same time as the XLR outputs. As a DSLR mic amp, the signals are amplified then attenuated which just injects noise from from the circuitry. All the current DSLR mic amps do this, and my guess would be that at least the MixPre-D might be better than DSLR mic amps from BeachTek or JuiceLink, who don't even really give specifications for their products, but at almost twice the price.

Just my thoughts from looking over the information,

Bruce Rutkoski
www.natureguystudio .com

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:01:39 PM by tlsmith »

kirk97132

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »
DOH wrong board

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »
Looks like b&h will start carrying this pretty soon. Here is a little writeup from Sam at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/hands-reviews/new-sound-devices-mixpre-d-camera-sound-and-post?BI=8067&kw=Article_Sound_Devices

Its neat but expensive and requires two additional products if you want to use it with your DSLR.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
I've been running mine for a few weeks now, I like the sound of it, especially with my KM150's.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
Jon Tatooles from Sound Devices states the mixpre is a little better for... you guessed it... mixing! The usbpre2 is better if higher sound quality is needed. ymmv

http://vimeo.com/22302001

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:29 PM »
Jon Tatooles from Sound Devices states the mixpre is a little better for... you guessed it... mixing! The usbpre2 is better if higher sound quality is needed. ymmv

http://vimeo.com/22302001

not real surprised. I'm guessing the remark is in relation to the transformer-less design of the usbpre2.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jonch070

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »
Hey all might start a new topic on this, I know this is an old post BUT:

Thinking of buying a MixpreD over the 702 because of ios capability, but still want recording when I dont have the ipad around (like in rain etc). Mostly nature recording.

Functionally will having a bit bucket make that much of a difference from recording the line level out from the mixpre to a sperate device? I was planning on just running the XLR outs from the Mixpre into the line in on my Sony PCM-m10 which im told bypasses the Sony pre's and the all the sony does is just pure conversion. There would be XLR to 3.5mm adaption, but still. 

Is the conversion really noticeably superior on the Mixpre as opposed to this solution? Am I losing that much quality from the conversion on the sony? Am I loosing that much quality with the  XLR to 3.5mm adaption (or alternatively tape out)?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Thanks!

Jon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com