Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Etiquette: Dog in the tapers section?  (Read 2779 times)

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Etiquette: Dog in the tapers section?
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:04:33 AM »
Heres the deal: I am an avid taper and I also have a medical condition that requres me to have my dog with me (no, not blind). I've brought my dog to many festivals and I have never had a major problem as I have all the paper work . I bring him right into the tapers section and setup and tape. He is very well behaved and I've never even considered that to be a problem, and the TS usually affords the room that he needs to feel comfortable (barely being a foot off the ground). Of all the shows I've taped I have one audible bark from him, and it just so happened to be out of the TS, as far back on the lawn as you could get in an ampitheater, with no other tapers around. He barked because I was dancing and playing with him and I was totally egging him on without a care (being outside of the taper section). Of course I wouldnt do such a thing with thousands of dollars of gear around me. That being said while it is highly unlikely he would bark in the TS, I can't promise it won't happen. Sometimes he gets startled and he'll let out a yelp. Which is very unlikely given the busy situation he'll already be in, and very used to. He's grown up going to festivals and being around lots of people so it is really a very small possibility. So what's the opinion here? Do you want me in the TS or not?

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: Etiquette: Dog in the tapers section?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:25:03 AM »
Taper sections are for tapers that are activly taping.  If you need a dog for medical reasons, you have every right to have him with you.  If it were me in the section and you had a dog with you, I would most likely be wanting to love him up a little bit (as long as he was clean) because I love dogs.  Many people here have dogs, and/or are dog lovers.  No tapers would like the dog if he was barking, but it sounds like that is not a problem.  If you are not taping, there are handicap sections in all venues that would be better suited for you and your dog.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 08:02:56 AM »
Taper sections are for tapers that are activly taping.  If you need a dog for medical reasons, you have every right to have him with you.  If it were me in the section and you had a dog with you, I would most likely be wanting to love him up a little bit (as long as he was clean) because I love dogs.  Many people here have dogs, and/or are dog lovers.  No tapers would like the dog if he was barking, but it sounds like that is not a problem.

I agree with this, but I'm wondering - is it good for the dog to take him/her to shows?  I've always been under the impression that those kinds of volumes are not good at all for dogs ears... (as I have a photo w/ a dog w/ headphones as my avatar... lol).

I, personally, wouldn't give 2 shits about a few barks here and there on the tape either, as long as it wasn't something that frightened on playback... I had a friend who throught it was hilarious to yell into my stealth mics.... and whenever I listened to the recordings, his yelling would startle the hell out of me because it was so loud.  If its not a situation like that, I wouldn't even mind the barking.  In fact, I think it would be cool because it would remind me of the situation of the dog in the section!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 08:07:58 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:05:35 AM »
I would be more worried about the dog wandering through the section and becoming entangled in cables etc, rather than barking but my biggest concern would be your dog hiking his leg above some very expensive electronics. Other than those two items, not a problem. Welcome in the section anytime.

I tape a local non-profits Sunday Summer Afternoon in the Park series which is free to everyone. Lots of folks bring their dogs and occasionally they bark. Not a problem on any of the recordings and once in awhile the bark complements what is being played at the time.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:12:21 AM »
I would be more worried about the dog wandering through the section and becoming entangled in cables etc, rather than barking but my biggest concern would be your dog hiking his leg above some very expensive electronics. Other than those two items, not a problem. Welcome in the section anytime.

I tape a local non-profits Sunday Summer Afternoon in the Park series which is free to everyone. Lots of folks bring their dogs and occasionally they bark. Not a problem on any of the recordings and once in awhile the bark complements what is being played at the time.

Hahahaha!  I'm more afraid of me wanting wrestle with the dog and knocking over some stands!  I love dogs, they are freekin' great. 

I personally would have no problem with it unless he was just barking his head off like crazy...  Frankly, hearing a dog bark on a recording is a lot cooler than hearing a wookie... 

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:16:47 AM »
what mmmatt & flipp said

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:05:34 PM »
It sounds fine to me. One possible problem might be people coming over to pet the dog. It isn't everyday you see a dog at a concert. If people come back and talk to you about the dog, it might show up on the tape. Just a hypothetical.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 01:08:04 PM »
It sounds fine to me. One possible problem might be people coming over to pet the dog. It isn't everyday you see a dog at a concert. If people come back and talk to you about the dog, it might show up on the tape. Just a hypothetical.

don't mean to seem insensitive to your medical condition, but this to me seems a very, very bad idea for all the reasons already mentioned:  cable entanglements, folks coming by to pet the dog stumbling over stands, not to mention the dog might see a mic stand and decide it needs territorial marking.  i'm imagining my thrill at having my R4 pissed on by a dog -- whoa.

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 02:23:47 PM »
I manage a restaraunt, and see working dogs come through with some regularity. They don't often wander around, and hardly make any noise at all, really. Several servers were unaware a dog was even under the table for the better part of half an hour, until the tell-tale tail made an appearance from under the table. Some working dogs will get worked up if people start giving them too much attention, but they usually know they're there to do a job.

As pfife stated, I'd be worried about the dog's hearing. The SPLs are bad enough for humans, but aren't dog's more sensative? You said he's been to other shows, and I don't know if there have been studies about dog hearing and sensativity to SPLs, but at any rate, he will be down lower to the ground, so the sound wouldn't be as strong. (we've all bent down to check our gear, it is much quieter down there).

IMHO, a dog in the section would be fine, and I would rather hear a single dog bark over half a dozen baked wookies groaning into the night.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 07:12:15 PM »
I wish there were more dogs at shows. Granted, not mangy, starving, wook owned dogs, but a well behaved, kind canine is welcome anywhere I am...

(I type this as my lab is laying next to me farting...   :sick: )
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 08:25:10 PM »
You have a right to have the access. I have no problem with it.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 10:49:27 PM »
if you need a dog and its well behaved, I gots no problem with a dog in the section, just remember the volume issue, dogs hearing is far more sensative than humans.  and remember to keep him hydrated and near the edge so you can take him out to do his business.  I'd rather have a service dog walk through the section anyday than some stinky w00k.  Dogs probably cleaner.
BUT if it is just some puppy pullin tour rat w00k trash's dog I would/will punt that thing and its owner right the fuck outta the ts.
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com