Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3  (Read 105111 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2011, 02:03:27 AM »
Cool, thanks.

Looking forward to firing it up this weekend.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »
Joining the team.  Due to arrive tomorrow.  Plan to run it for Springfest next week and use the channel ganging feature to match gain on 4 channels for the Tetramic + SBD on 5 & 6.  I'll probably run the R-44 as well for omni outriggers (and for redundancy options) rather than trying to tackle 8 channels with digital in.

I stopped actively following the DR-680 threads last fall so I have some reading to do, but have quick question if I may..

I'll be building a power cable for DVD batteries this weekend. Am I correct in reading from DR-680 battery options thread that the external power jack takes a Radio Shack 'size M' plug, tip positive? Anything else critical that I should know? 

Planning on using several Trancend 32GB class 10 cards, but also have Kingstons as backup if needed.
What is he refering to here "channel ganging feature to match gain on 4 channels" in the above statement. Was that one of the software upgrades?

Thanks.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
The v1.20 firmware update provides for quick 'linking' and 'unlinking' of channels so that gain (or pan) changes effect all channels in the group.  It's one of the features I'm looking forward to on the DR-680.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
Type "M"  I prefer right angle style over the straight.  The digi in is simple.  Warning: the default display shows mix on 7 & 8 you MUST go in and set it manually for "DIN MON" (digital monitor)  one of the things they screwed up in the updates.  it will not hold the DIN setting after power down.  Have fun.   Oh and @ 24 bit aim for the line on the display.  it works out great

Is it normal or reverse polarity?

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
The dc plug is normal polarity, tip positive.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »
The dc plug is normal polarity, tip positive.

^ Yep!  And the deck will run off 9 volt DVD battery.  I have had discussion with friend about whether it supplies the full 48 volt 10mA phantom power.  I never tested it but I have run mics that do want a full 10mA and they seem sound the same as when I run them on AC power.  not a very technical test so YMMV. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
Oh and @ 24 bit aim for the line on the display.  it works out great

Just opened the box. Haven't fired it up yet, but looking through the manual I can see the line you mention, what record level does the line represent?

kirk97132

« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
I'd have to double check but I believe it is -12 (dBfs)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
Just wondering.  That's my guess as well and my prefered target.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »
Just got my modded box back from Busman Audio yesterday. I'm gonna run it straight with m20's, m27's, & a soundboard patch for Moon Boot Lover on Fri. night @ the Stone Church in Newmarket, NH. I'll let you hear it once it's ready.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
Just got my modded box back from Busman Audio yesterday. I'm gonna run it straight with m20's, m27's, & a soundboard patch for Moon Boot Lover on Fri. night @ the Stone Church in Newmarket, NH. I'll let you hear it once it's ready.

^
Hell yeah.    ;D
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »
I too have the busman modded 680, and I like the sound going straight in better than through my SD MixPre. Here's a test I did and made a video of:

http://www.vimeo.com/16681934
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:57:51 PM by Chadfish »
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2011, 06:06:54 PM »
Hey guys. I'm not so well versed on electrical things, so I have a question. I got a series 7 EX-L96 battery for my EX1 camera. It supplies the camera 14.4v power for the camera, and has a D-Tap jack to power lights and whatever 12-volt accessories I have.

Here's the battery: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655645-REG/Switronix_EX_L96_EX_L96_14_4v_96W_Lithium_Ion.html

Is there any way I can use this battery to power the DR-680? The Tascam says "12v" on the power jack. Is there anything special I should be concerned about? A certain kind of cable you could suggest?

Thanks!
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
I believe that 13v is the high end of the dc range.  Might be risky, especially if your battery is even higher than 14.4v on a full charge.

kirk97132

« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
Type "M" tip center pin positive is all that you need to make 12volts work on the 680 power jack.  Not familiar with those type of batteries or their connections. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com