Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anybody know how to make a line level pad?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
anybody know how to make a line level pad?
« on: November 12, 2020, 03:23:38 PM »
i am trying to convert dvds that will not read in a computer to hard drive. i have to play them back with a dvd player and the audio level is real hot to my converter box. i would need a 10db pad at whatever ohm rca line level is. can't i just use a resister? what size do i need? where to i put it? positive? negative? both? thank you in advance

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Re: anybody know how to make a line level pad?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:28:10 PM »
A simple voltage divider with two resistors will work fine here.  first in path a series resistor, with a shunt resistor from signal to ground on the receiving end.  You could make the series resistor a pot and dial it to the needed level reduction.  I might try a 5K pot with a 1K resistor shunt; that's a guess.  Scale both up or down as needed depending on the pot you have or can get easily, scale resistor smaller relative to full pot value if it's not enough reduction.  Don't scale the entire thing below 2K, I would guess. 

-------

even easier; just use a 5K or 10K pot as-is, take signal from sweeper into receiving device.  connect it as close to receiving device as possible. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 05:15:26 PM by EmRR »
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
Re: anybody know how to make a line level pad?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »
If the simple resistor divider or pot is too much of a pain, Core Sound sells attenuator cables in varying attenuation values.

[Disclaimer: I own Core Sound.]
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com