Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Help With Hi-8 Tapes  (Read 28379 times)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
Need Help With Hi-8 Tapes
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »
I have about 50 Hi-8 masters that need to be transferred. What is the best way for me to do this? Rob Eaton offered to transfer the tapes but his deck's firewire output crapped out. I need to get these transferred and also capture the audio in the highest quality possible. I figured I could take an analog audio out and go from there.

Any input is appreciated
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
Re: Need Help With Hi-8 Tapes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:24:48 PM »
Do you have the Hi 8 deck?

I have the rest of the chain but no Hi 8 deck.

PM me with details .

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »
You don't want to go analog out you need to digitize these thru something like a Canopus standalone or a Sony mini dv deck or cam that has ADC pass thru.All of these methods need FireWire and you'll need WinDv or similar capture program on your computer....look out for dropped frames .

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
Do you have the Hi 8 deck?

I have the rest of the chain but no Hi 8 deck.

PM me with details .

I have nothing but the tapes. The analog out part was just about the audio. If the audio can be captured digitally, that would be great. But yeah, the video part is important too.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »
http://videotransferboston.com/8mm-hi8-and-digital8/

Information about the three 8mm formats....it's possible these may be digital 8

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »
http://videotransferboston.com/8mm-hi8-and-digital8/

Information about the three 8mm formats....it's possible these may be digital 8

Thanks but that would cost over $1,000, unless I misread it.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »
Bunch of decent camcorders on eBay for around 50$  :shrug:

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »
Bunch of decent camcorders on eBay for around 50$  :shrug:

Yeah I saw that. Thing is I know nothing about video and don't know what I need.

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Video 8/Hi-8/Digital 8 are very sensitive on playback, especially as they age.  The sound quality and picture quality can vary dramatically depending on the player used to play them back.  The tracking is also very delicate so some tapes don't play well in some (or even most) machines. 

To do it right is time consuming and often trial and error even with good machines.  The stand alone Sony players are the best but there's a lot of variation among them.  The more expensive ones definitely give better results but due to the iterations in development of the original technology not all tapes play best on any one generation of machine IME. 

I'm not sure camcorder playback is too good an idea unless its the same one they were recorded on. 

Good luck.  If they're really of value and worth doing right it's a big project. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »
Charlie, give me a call.  I have a buddy that that has a Canopus and a Sony HI8

Keith
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
Video 8/Hi-8/Digital 8 are very sensitive on playback, especially as they age.  The sound quality and picture quality can vary dramatically depending on the player used to play them back.  The tracking is also very delicate so some tapes don't play well in some (or even most) machines. 

To do it right is time consuming and often trial and error even with good machines.  The stand alone Sony players are the best but there's a lot of variation among them.  The more expensive ones definitely give better results but due to the iterations in development of the original technology not all tapes play best on any one generation of machine IME. 

I'm not sure camcorder playback is too good an idea unless its the same one they were recorded on. 

Good luck.  If they're really of value and worth doing right it's a big project. 

Good to know. Thanks

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 06:54:51 PM »

I am in the process of transferring and authoring to DVD thousands of tapes for a guy who started filming shows back in the 1980s (and is still regularly filming shows now but switched away from 8mm when mini-DV became available and shoots in HD now).  I have captured around 500 shows from 8mm tapes (all three varieties) so far using two cameras (Sony DCR-TRV350 Digital8 & Sony DCR-TRV730 Digital8).  I go straight from the camera via firewire to a firewire card in my work station capturing with Sony Vegas Video Pro 13.  I can't remember the last time I had a dropped frame - it's extremely rare.  The three videocams he shot with on 8mm were Ricoh R-600 (same specs as Sony CCD-V5), Sony TR-101 Hi8, and Sony TR-5.

One thing I always do is rewind/fast forward the tapes from end to end before I capture them since 99% of the time they have sat untouched since the time they were recorded.  I do that with a Kinyo 2-Way 8mm Tape Rewinder to save wear and tear on my video cams.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:02:27 PM »
^holy nuts.  nice effort man!   :coolguy:
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 11:09:44 PM »

I am in the process of transferring and authoring to DVD thousands of tapes for a guy who started filming shows back in the 1980s (and is still regularly filming shows now but switched away from 8mm when mini-DV became available and shoots in HD now).  I have captured around 500 shows from 8mm tapes (all three varieties) so far using two cameras (Sony DCR-TRV350 Digital8 & Sony DCR-TRV730 Digital8).  I go straight from the camera via firewire to a firewire card in my work station capturing with Sony Vegas Video Pro 13.  I can't remember the last time I had a dropped frame - it's extremely rare.  The three videocams he shot with on 8mm were Ricoh R-600 (same specs as Sony CCD-V5), Sony TR-101 Hi8, and Sony TR-5.

One thing I always do is rewind/fast forward the tapes from end to end before I capture them since 99% of the time they have sat untouched since the time they were recorded.  I do that with a Kinyo 2-Way 8mm Tape Rewinder to save wear and tear on my video cams.

right on!!

Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 02:48:38 AM »

Cool.  That's nice it's working well. 

I've got thousands more and not really the patience/time/discipline if you're game after those are done.

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com