Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)  (Read 102449 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« Reply #225 on: October 23, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »
My only good card went through the wash last night and is now MIA and likely DOA anyway. I need a new card for this evening (Warren Haynes) and thinking Walmart or BB. The numbers confuse me a bit so I'm hoping someone might confirm that this one is on the list?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-SDSDXPA-032G-A75-32GB-Extreme-Pro-SDHC-Card/22237574

On the upside, I have clean shirts for tonight.

That's a different way to 'clean' a SD card.

The card you linked above one of the two cards on their list that has the caveat associated with it.  So, yeah it's on the list, but I personally wouldn't buy it. 

I was just at my local Wal-Mart last week and bought this card, so I can at least confirm that my local store had this model in stock.  Yeah it's only a 16gb card, but it's cheap and will do you in a pinch until you can mail order a larger card that's on the list.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-SDSDUP-016-A46-Ultra-Plus-UHS-1-SDHC-Memory-Card-40-Refurbished/45725180

Not refurbished, but new card...but this is the one they had.

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
That's actually the one that went through the wash. I had completed the card survey based on my previous (positive) results with that one but ended up with some glitchy sets from Lockn'. Admittedly, I didn't format that card and that may have contributed to those glitches. The price is right though....
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

mfrench

« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
I got that same card, except mine suggests AB46 at the end of the product number, whereas the one you linked does not have the "B".  I've not had any issues.  I got it new at BB for about $1 more.

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2015, 11:19:41 AM »
if you have a Fry's electronics in your area they will price match with Amazon or New Egg and they usually have a large selection of SD cards to choose from.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »
This card is on the list, as a NO GOOD CARD! DO NOT USE!

The same model in a 16GB card is on the list as OK.

PS Sandisk cards are waterproof.

My only good card went through the wash last night and is now MIA and likely DOA anyway. I need a new card for this evening (Warren Haynes) and thinking Walmart or BB. The numbers confuse me a bit so I'm hoping someone might confirm that this one is on the list?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-SDSDXPA-032G-A75-32GB-Extreme-Pro-SDHC-Card/22237574
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »
This card is on the list, as a NO GOOD CARD! DO NOT USE!

The same model in a 16GB card is on the list as OK.

PS Sandisk cards are waterproof.

SDSDXP-32G is "NG"; Butch said he has SDSDXPA-32G which apparently is not the same card and is "OK*1" on the Tascam 70D list.  The XP is available many places; XPA seems hard to find and seems to be a different production run of a card with the same specs - there's also a different label design.

The cheapest card I can find from the list right now is the this SanDisk Ultra Plus SDSDUP-16G at Best Buy for $14.99.  I still haven't bought an approved card since my non-approved Transcend has been working just fine, but I'm going to pick one of these up today just to be safe.  I think this may be the same card Tonedeaf purchased.

BTW, I suggested a while back that SanDisk may be selling the same cards under different model number variants in different sales markets.  I emailed customer service about this:

Are the same SanDisk SD cards sold with different model number variants in different markets? For instance, searching for SDSDXL-064G only brings up Asian vendors, while SDSDXN-064G-G46 appears to be the same exact model but is available via USA vendors. Are these in fact the same product?

And the response:

Dear Anthony,

Both the referred codes are for the SanDisk Extreme cards. SDSDXN-064G-G4 is the code for the upgraded and the new model of the Extreme 64GB card with 80MB/s performance speed. SDSDXL-064G is the code of the Extreme card with 45MB/s, for USA codes will be SDSDX-064G, however its the codes for the old card.

Best regards,
Jay S.
SanDisk Global Customer Care

Part of this reply is incorrect though: searching SDSDXN shows a 60 MB/s card; SDSDXS is the 80 MB/s (Extreme Plus).  The statement on SDSXL vs SDSDX appears to be correct as both appear to be the same 45 MB/s Extreme cards, but the "L" is Asian-market only.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:33:14 AM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
Welp, Butch's link lists one code, with the letter A following the letter P, but when I follow the link, the specifications for the card is that it's called a SDSDXP-032G-A46.

SDSDXP-032 is on the list as NO GOOD.

SDSDXP-32G is "NG"; Butch said he has SDSDXPA-32G which apparently is not the same card and is "OK*1" on the Tascam 70D list.  The XP is available many places; XPA seems hard to find and seems to be a different production run of a card with the same specs - there's also a different label design.

The cheapest card I can find from the list right now is the this SanDisk Ultra Plus SDSDUP-16G at Best Buy for $14.99.  I still haven't bought an approved card since my non-approved Transcend has been working just fine, but I'm going to pick one of these up today just to be safe.  I think this may be the same card Tonedeaf purchased.

BTW, I suggested a while back that SanDisk may be selling the same cards under different model number variants in different sales markets.  I emailed customer service about this:

Are the same SanDisk SD cards sold with different model number variants in different markets? For instance, searching for SDSDXL-064G only brings up Asian vendors, while SDSDXN-064G-G46 appears to be the same exact model but is available via USA vendors. Are these in fact the same product?

And the response:

Dear Anthony,

Both the referred codes are for the SanDisk Extreme cards. SDSDXN-064G-G4 is the code for the upgraded and the new model of the Extreme 64GB card with 80MB/s performance speed. SDSDXL-064G is the code of the Extreme card with 45MB/s, for USA codes will be SDSDX-064G, however its the codes for the old card.

Best regards,
Jay S.
SanDisk Global Customer Care

Part of this reply is incorrect though: searching SDSDXN shows a 60 MB/s card; SDSDXS is the 80 MB/s (Extreme Plus).  The statement on SDSXL vs SDSDX appears to be correct as both appear to be the same 45 MB/s Extreme cards, but the "L" is Asian-market only.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
Welp, Butch's link lists one code, with the letter A following the letter P, but when I follow the link, the specifications for the card is that it's called a SDSDXP-032G-A46.

The URL for that Walmart link says SDSDXPA, but you're right the specs do not have the "A".  If you look at my links about those two, you'll see that this card appears to have the label design of the "A" variant, so I think the specs listing at Walmart is wrong and the card Butch has is indeed OK.

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
you mean "OK*1"

*1 The performace of the media may be degraded significantly if used repeatedly.
 Once the card is full (data transferred if necessary), ERASE-FORMAT using the DR-70D is
 recommended prior to using the card again.

The URL for that Walmart link says SDSDXPA, but you're right the specs do not have the "A".  If you look at my links about those two, you'll see that this card appears to have the label design of the "A" variant, so I think the specs listing at Walmart is wrong and the card Butch has is indeed OK.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
you mean "OK*1"

*1 The performace of the media may be degraded significantly if used repeatedly.
 Once the card is full (data transferred if necessary), ERASE-FORMAT using the DR-70D is
 recommended prior to using the card again.

Yes, as both TD and I have already pointed out.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
Here's a recording from last night - first time using the 70D for a marching band show, instead of my usual FP24  > M10.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=169429.msg2164348#msg2164348
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Claus

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »

Hi All,

New here, first post.

I just got the DR-70 and I had been reading everything discussed here about the card pitfalls and such before buying it. A couple of quick observations, just to add to the "pile" for completion's sake.

I decided to play it safe and order the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64gig card as recommended by Tascam, and it works flawlessly so far. After upgrading to software ver. 1.11, I stress-tested both the machine and the card by full-formatting the card and then letting it record for hours on 24/96 with four Phantom Power mics attached, and there was no problem that I have found.

Now, I had a Sony SDXC 64-gig card (SF64UY/TQMN)  laying around, and I formatted that as well and gave it the same test as above. This, too, was fine.
The interesting part is that the rated speed of the SanDisk card is 95mbs whereas the Sony claims 40mbs and yet the 40 seemed to be enough to roll through on high settings and four channels without hiccups...what it means, I don't really know.
To me it is curious that the cards can be that far apart in performance numbers and still be viable.  I have put the Sony card into the card database here as "good."
Either the Sony is very efficient or maybe the "extra" speed of the SanDisk is recommended for safety, and that is fine. Much as with battery capacity, I don't trust card numbers fully.

The one error I got was one I went looking for: I formatted and recorded on one of my SDHC Sandisk 32-Gig cards (SDSDU-032G-A46) and after exactly 15 seconds I got "Write Timeout"...the card couldn't keep up. It happened each time after 15 secs.

Other than that, so far in testing it with voice and acoustic guitar, the Tascam is an excellent little performer, and the pres are nice and quiet

So some rambling, but maybe useful; I look forward to contributing here...

Claus.

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2015, 01:15:11 AM »
(Caveat)  I am apparently an idiot, my apologies.... 
I'm having some problems getting simply 2 channels to record correctly and I need some help.  My set up is simply Nak 300's>DR-70 channels 1 & 2 via XLR's.  I get CH.1 working fine but something's up with CH. 2.  I've tested both mics+batteries+two different sets of cables and can only get sound out of CH.1 EVEN though I show levels on CH.2  On playback 2 is silent.   If anyone's willing to walk me through getting this corrected r.e. Menu>Basic>CH1 settings...CH2 settings or settings overall I'd greatly appreciate it.   PM me if you can help.
Thanks.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »
I'm having some problems getting simply 2 channels to record correctly and I need some help.  My set up is simply Nak 300's>DR-70 channels 1 & 2 via XLR's.  I get CH.1 working fine but something's up with CH. 2.  I've tested both mics+batteries+two different sets of cables and can only get sound out of CH.1 EVEN though I show levels on CH.2  On playback 2 is silent.   If anyone's willing to walk me through getting this corrected r.e. Menu>Basic>CH1 settings...CH2 settings or settings overall I'd greatly appreciate it.   PM me if you can help.
Thanks.

Sounds like you have "Record" set to "OFF" in channel 2...check your settings.

stevetoney

« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2015, 06:44:42 AM »
Thanks.

You're not an idiot.  Tascam doesn't explain this very well in the manual.  I think your issue is your pan settings, which aren't really panned inputs but panned outputs.  I think what's happening to you is that you're recording both channels 1 and 2 onto your SD card, but when you play them back, if both channels are panned to one side, you'll only get sound out of one side when you play it back.

In the basic menu, toggle to Pan for channel 1 and set it to Left 12.  Then toggle to Pan under channel 2 and set it to Right 12 (it's probably currently set at Left 12).  To avoid this same problem if you ever do four channel recording, do the same thing with Channels 3 and 4.   

By the way, Left 12 is 'left twelve' not Left channels 1 and 2.  The pan setting is a scale from zero to twelve.  Zero means there's no panning and 12 means that channel is panned 100% into the left channel and 0% into the right channel.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:56:34 AM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com