Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)  (Read 102475 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« Reply #300 on: November 09, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »
That is interesting.  When you format in windows, you should use the official SD Formatter.  Don't use the built-in Windows format function for SD cards, especially of you have a larger card.

Can you link to this? - I see something like it...not sure what's "official" about it..

Here you go.  I call it "official" because it's from the SD Association, AKA the Spectre of Flash Storage Media.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #301 on: November 09, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »
OK, I just did another test on my suspect SanDisk card.  Didn't quite fill the card this time, but recorded just under 10GB.  This time I only did a Quick format, power cycled multiple times, and made tracks of varying lengths.  Started with 4 tracks 24/96, then switched it up to 2 track 24/48 with DUAL REC which is how it was set when it started glitching on me the other day.  Just went through all the files in RX, and all is well with no errors.

Here's something that may or may not be significant: after formatting this card in my computer with the SD Formatter tool, all subsequent test recordings I've made in the 70D have been after it was upgraded to the new 1.12 firmware.  In my rush of editing the band show and doing multiple things at once while being frustrated that my other tracks were trash, I just went ahead and did the firmware update before considering doing any of this testing.

The firmware update does say "operational stability has been improved."  That really could mean anything.  I'm curious to see if Tonedeaf gets any problems with this card on the older firmware.  I don't really want to downgrade mine - I never really trust firmware downgrades, maybe irrationally so.

Here's a thought: Several of you have said there may be a problem with the firmware in this unit and that's why it has problems with certain SD cards, even ones that are fine in other 4-channel recorders.  How about doing some tests like I have done with those cards on both the 1.11 and 1.12 firmware, with a fresh Erase Format each time?  The card may still end up being "bad", but it could be interesting to see if somehow after the new firmware, now it isn't.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #302 on: November 09, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
(cut) ... I'm curious to see if Tonedeaf gets any problems with this card on the older firmware.  I don't really want to downgrade mine - I never really trust firmware downgrades, maybe irrationally so. ... (/cut)

I didn't get to do any testing today.  I ended up running around much of the day today.  Will get at it tomorrow.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #303 on: November 09, 2015, 10:29:48 PM »
Can you link to this? - I see something like it...not sure what's "official" about it..
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
this one is from the SD association, that's pretty official.

When I had an A-Data card fail (in the DR-70D), the A-Data warranty department requested that I try the official formatter first, and it did restore the card's read & write speed back to factory spec. I still sent the trouble-card back on an RMA, 'cause I know that A-Data will send me a brand-new card, in a sealed factory package when I have troubles...

Thank you for contacting ADATA USA.

Troubleshooting Tips:
1. Check for physical damages - make sure the memory card doesn’t have cracks and/or scratches, these cause damages to internal components and are NOT covered by warranty.
2. If the memory card is not detectable, test and/or reformat it with other devices, it might be incompatible with the original device.
3. If the memory card is detectable but with file corruption, try running the recommended SD Formatting tool - https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

We request customers to return product(s) to our location for further testing. We will be happy to repair or replace your unit if it deemed faulty.

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #304 on: November 09, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »
REMIND ME AGAIN WHAT TASCAM PAYS FOR Q/A DEPARTMENT JOBS!?!?!

Oh, no... wanna larf? Tascam needs someone familiar with "CUEBASE!"

http://tascam.com/company/jobs/

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2015, 05:00:12 AM »
HAVEN'T YOU HEARD morst, Q/A is OUT, Marketing is IN.  All the new MBA textbooks teach that now.... ::) :facepalm: ::)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #306 on: November 11, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »
This PNY card was used in my 70d with firmware 1.11 for 4 show and only reformated one time during those days.  No issues with digi noise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HIKBW1G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:55:41 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline voltronic

« Reply #307 on: November 12, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »
I guess I shouldn't expect any of the big features on our firmware update wishlist to make it to the 70D now - they are coming out with new version:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175411.0
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #308 on: November 13, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
I guess I shouldn't expect any of the big features on our firmware update wishlist to make it to the 70D now - they are coming out with new version:

Exactly! I don't need timecode/HDMI features, so I just want my 70D to record like it should! Since switching to PNY cards a few months ago, I haven't had ANY problems, and I STILL run an m10 as a backup lol ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »

Not sure I'd call this a "new version"...its a totally different product...not like this is a "mkII"...

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
I unfortunately had another problem this weekend on test #2.  At the 1 hour 47 minute point, the recording levels went up by them self and peak with the red lights flashing and it recorded a weird noise.  From that point on every few minutes, there are pops and skips and also a few other 10 second intervals of level peaking.  I spoke to Brian @ Tascam Tech Support who was very nice and knowledgeable about the deck.  He went over all my settings and the card and external power etc. and confirmed something weird was going on and asked me the send the unit back to Tascam for either repair or exchange.  I'm hoping for the best as I like the deck and I want it to work with confidence.  I will report back with the outcome.  I was using a approved card SanDisk #SDSDUP-016G,  V1.11 firmware, and a Generic Power Bank 20,000 mah ultra thin battery.
  I just would like to report that Tascam sent me a brand new unit.  As for customer service, they were very nice to me and I have no complaints with them at all.  Now it's time to give this new unit a good test run.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

mfrench

« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »
A success to report; my first four channel effort with this device.  I no longer have phantom powered mics. But I did run a pair of Senn MKE2002 HRTF (ch1&2), and, a pair DPA 4060/MMA6000 spaced-> (ch3&4), at 24/44.1, last saturday morning at an acoustic jazz gig, without any issues.

Offline Mike D (VT)

• Taperssection Member
  • spreading the love since 1993
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
My deck has only recorded about a half dozen shows. The first 3, were okay, I feel like it was like the trial period. Used the mics and tried different tweaks here and there to try for optimal sound.
The next 3 were SBD feeds, and the 1st one was good, but then it started glitching - giving the "Write Timeout" screen. Completely random. It would go for 15 seconds and do it, and it would go for an hour and do it.
Last weekend it happened again. Unless I'm hovering over my deck (and not paying attention to the music), it could happen and I'll miss who knows how much music.

So after skimming the past 20+ pages - Is this in fact a problem with the card? Degraded? This quickly?
And where is the list of compatible cards?
I purchased mine through Busman, and it came with a card.
Never did do the firmware upgrade.
If I missed a side discussion on this, please point me in the right direction. I don't want to botch another show.
Thanks  ~ 
AKG C460B (JWMOD) ck61/ ck63 > Big Green Fatties > SD MixPre 6

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
Here's Tascam's list:  http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/dr-70d_tested_media_list_20151006.pdf

I can't recall anyone complaining about a "write timeout" error before (could be wrong) in this very long thread.  The complaints I remember were that there were spikes/glitches in some of the recordings, but others like me have not have issues.   

Whether you have a card issue or some other issue, I cannot say. 

If you have a warranty from Busman, wouldn't hurt to take this up with Busman. 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #314 on: November 17, 2015, 11:20:22 PM »
"Write timeout" was reported by one user a long time ago, before Tascam had even put out the first version of their media list.

It also happened to me once with my new SanDisk card, but has been fine ever since I did a full / erase format on it with the SD Formatter Utility.

This error seems to indicate the card can't keep up with the rate of data that the recorder is trying to write to it.  This may have nothing at all to do with the speed rating printed on the card, as those ratings are derived from burst read / write tests and audio recorders send a more or less continuous data stream.  So the card may not be able to keep up.  Or, as was the case in my situation, you have filesystem corruption.  This can definitely happen on a new card, as it did to me.

Bottom line: check to see if your card is in the list linked above.  Do a full / erase format using the tool I linked (don't use the Win / Mac built-in format).

You also might want to update your 70D firmware.  Version 1.11 added the full / erase format option, which actually formats the card.  Previous versions could only quick format, which only erases filesystem information but does not actually format the card.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com