Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wifi Bridge for remote audio desktop PC / Backup - NAS...SUCCESS!  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
The wife spoke to me that since she has a laptop now to work from home, her old desktop PC and corner desk that I had somewhat taken over as my Digital Audio Workstation with powered Alesis monitors - Backup Drive - NAS needed to be moved out of her TV Room. Since the Kids are out of College and on their own, I considered taking over a upstairs bedroom to organize all my Taper equipment and setup of the DAW. Problem was wiring a house built pre-internet.

I settled on a Wireless Bridge. It would pull data from the Cable Modem via Ethernet and not interfere with thru put of existing wireless devices (Printer, two laptops and two iPhones). Bought two identical Linksys EA6350 AC1200+ Dual-Band WiFi Routers...and after considerable nashing of teeth setting it up...these two boxes are A dedicated wireless connection (no other wifi activity to other devices). Downstairs the first box is plugged into the Cable Modem for internet access...upstairs the Bridge Router has all my non-wireless equipment plugged into the Ethernet ports. The routers use both 2gighz and 5gighz wireless channels to transfer data with max thru put of Max. Rate: 867 Mbps. Wired Ethernet connections through the router are Gigabit rated.

This morning I moved upstairs...everything is up and running so far. Internet Speed test shows normal access of 105mbps down and 15mbps up. Now to start using this QNAP NAS as something other than a Backup Archive drive...after I figure out which Battery Backup will shutdown the NAS after an extended outage...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Wifi Bridge for remote audio desktop PC / Backup - NAS...SUCCESS!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »
Settled on a Cyberpower 1350 from Costco $100 cheap. UPS is also connected to NAS via USB and NAS Power panel is showing that it would run 1:32hrs with the current load and battery at 100% of charge. Was very surprised at how easy the UPS was to set up...like most things you don't know about...it was easier than I worried it would be.

Now I feel comfortable with leaving it on...I've only used the NAS as a RAID 5 archive box. Since I didn't have it hooked up to a UPS was afraid to leave it on after backups.

What should a NAS neophyte tackle as the first app to install??? iPhone backup...Lusted over a buddies JRiver music server setup...hmmm

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
Settled on a Cyberpower 1350 from Costco $100 cheap. UPS is also connected to NAS via USB and NAS Power panel is showing that it would run 1:32hrs with the current load and battery at 100% of charge. Was very surprised at how easy the UPS was to set up...like most things you don't know about...it was easier than I worried it would be.

Now I feel comfortable with leaving it on...I've only used the NAS as a RAID 5 archive box. Since I didn't have it hooked up to a UPS was afraid to leave it on after backups.

What should a NAS neophyte tackle as the first app to install??? iPhone backup...Lusted over a buddies JRiver music server setup...hmmm

well im sorry i didnt see your earlier post. i do IT for a living

What NAS do you have ?
Im unable to read you wrote QNAP. sorry

I installed Plex, mostly for the wife as it doesnt really do gapless playback, but for movies and TV shows and a bunch of other stuff i havent dug into its pretty cool. I think they charge a yearly subscription so not totally free

For tunes, depending on what room im in. In front of my PC in the office I use foobar2000 with just the library of all my crap on the NAS loaded in to different playlists. For the living room Ill use either Plex or Logictech Squeeze Server (sp?) feeding the amazon fire tv > HDMI to the receiver.  For my main playback i have a logictech Squeezebox touch that gets the tunes from the squeeze server running on the NAS

Ill assume you setup the NAS to turnoff gracefully if it goes to battery power for extended outages ?

I use a synology NAS and many of their built in apps for audio, video , pictures etc are very well done with iPhone apps and amazon fire apps as well

Im more than happy to answer anything I can be of help with
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:40:16 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
Ill assume you setup the NAS to turnoff gracefully if it goes to battery power for extended outages ?

Yes. My limited understanding is that it starts immediately the process of winding down activity. I set it up so that after five minutes shutdown is initiated.

Stupid question, is there a way to also shutdown a second device (PC)? QNAP is the only thing plugged into the battery backup side. The single USB port on UPS is ran directly into the NAS. Could it be shared with a USB hub?

a logictech Squeezebox touch that gets the tunes from the squeeze server running on the NAS
Thanks

Was hoping to use the NAS as a network drive for the laptops....but, when logged into main downstairs WIFI setup (not bridge) I could not find the NAS on the Network...If I log into the upstairs Bridge Router with my laptop via WIFI the NAS is there as a network drive...so, for use as a network drive the NAS must be on the same Subnet?

That brings in to question my decision to move the NAS to the bridged upstairs router. If NAS was hooked via Cat5 to the main router downstairs...would it be seen as a Network Drive on the network of all devices...I.E. non-wifi devices hooked to the upstairs bridge router?

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:07 AM »
Yes on subnets. Thats why you cant see it

You can keep your existing setup if you tweak the IP scheme on the bridges. If you simply use the same IP scheme as the rest of the house on the bridges, it should simply extend that network. Very similar to running a hard line in your other question. So yes if you are connected to the main router in the house so to speak and all the other devices are as well, you should be able to see everything

a customer i have has a similar setup and his bridges are just using the same DHCP pool as the hardwired devices. I would statically assign IP addresses to the bridges and your NAS if you haven't already. Just pick some IPs that are outside your DHCP pool.

I always prefer hardlines so if its doable I would say pull the cable. Just remember if you are going between floors to use Plenum rated cables. its more expensive but fire safety and all that.

RE: UPS. it depends on the unit. for USB one like you and i have i dont think it can tell multiple devices to shut down. however it might be possible to have the NAS trigger it on the PC when it receives the alert
check the configs and see what options you might have on the NAS
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com