Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Zoom?  (Read 23849 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Zoom?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »
Info page has finally shown up at the Zoom site:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

Looks like the 1/8" mic input on the back supports plug-in power.

But you cannot do simultaneous 4 ch recording at 96 khz, only 44.1 and 48.

--
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:37:01 AM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 11:44:45 AM »
The new page includes the text, "With its Hi-Z inputs, you can record guitars or other line output sources such as mixing consoles."  This confirms that the H4n accepts a line-level input.  But as (evan) points out, there is no 1/8-inch minijack for line input. 

If your source is line out via 1/8-inch stereo jack, you'll need a 1/8-inch TRS to dual 1/4-inch TS adapter.  Here's one example, available in 3 ft and 10 ft lengths.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--HOSCMP15

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »
Unfortunately, and this type of shortcoming most typical of Zoom decks, unbalanced TR 'LINE' input is rated at only +2 dBu; not much of a line input being easily overloaded with most any type of preamp feed.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 02:46:53 AM »
I'm curious about the 1/8-inch TRS jack that appears on the back of the recorder, close to the built-in mics.  The online literature says this jack can provide plug-in power to mics that need it.  It seemed to me that it might be possible to plug in a pair of mics via the 1/8-inch jack, and a second pair via the XLR jacks.

I wrote to Samsontech support.  Within a couple of hours I received this reply:

"Hi, plugging into the 1/8th" jack does indeed turn off the internal mics.  When using the mics and inputs simultaneously, the input from the jack is also routed to the two channels normally used for audio from the internal
mics. I think the configuration you're describing would work."

So it appears that the H4n can be used with four external mics.  If you have four mics that need 48V power, you'll have to use a battery box for the pair connected to the 1/8-inch TRS jack.

Flintstone

Offline heyitsmejess

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 05:02:47 AM »
freakin sweet.

what ive been looking for....a 4 track recorder that i can easily afford.

i can work around any shortcomings (been doing it for the last year and a half with my bottom feeder equipment)
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 01:46:23 PM »
I'm curious about the 1/8-inch TRS jack that appears on the back of the recorder, close to the built-in mics.  The online literature says this jack can provide plug-in power to mics that need it.  It seemed to me that it might be possible to plug in a pair of mics via the 1/8-inch jack, and a second pair via the XLR jacks.

I wrote to Samsontech support.  Within a couple of hours I received this reply:

"Hi, plugging into the 1/8th" jack does indeed turn off the internal mics.  When using the mics and inputs simultaneously, the input from the jack is also routed to the two channels normally used for audio from the internal
mics. I think the configuration you're describing would work."

So it appears that the H4n can be used with four external mics.  If you have four mics that need 48V power, you'll have to use a battery box for the pair connected to the 1/8-inch TRS jack.

Flintstone

Yeah but could the 1/8" plugs be used as a line-in? Could the mic power be turned off?

I'd love to be able to patch in 4 channels of line level audio without any mic power, run stuff off better preamps or 4 channel soundboard audio.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »
I think it's a safe bet that the "plug-in power" supplied to the 1/8-inch mic input can be turned on and off.  As for using this input for line level signals, I think you'd have to run some sort of a massive pad, or have someone like Busman mod the input.  But I understand why you'd really like to record 4 channels at line level.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
I think it's a safe bet that the "plug-in power" supplied to the 1/8-inch mic input can be turned on and off.  As for using this input for line level signals, I think you'd have to run some sort of a massive pad, or have someone like Busman mod the input.  But I understand why you'd really like to record 4 channels at line level.

Because man...if I could run 4 channel line level relatively easy, I'd probably buy a couple of these. I really do like the R44 but the thing is huge for ninja taping, whereas the H4n could be pretty sweet and small(er).
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »
Yeah but could the 1/8" plugs be used as a line-in? Could the mic power be turned off?

According to a Zoom sales rep, you can not use the 1/8" plug as a Line-in.

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
In Stock?
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »
The H4n is in stock at comp-u-plus.  According to this page, anyways:

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Zoom-H4N-Mobile-4-Track-USB-Recorder-1030733~.html?sid=63rtk926bq34bp5

Just ordered, will confirm later.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:11:24 PM by gossling »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
Re: New Zoom manual available
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
The manual for the H4n has finally shown up on the ZOOM website download page:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/manual/english.php

Referring to the 1/8 mic input on the back of the H4n, page 031: "You cannot use both the built-in and the external microphone together."

However, it looks as if you can indeed use the 1/8 mic input AND the XLR inputs at the same time for 4 microphone/4 channel recording [page 047].

This confirms what Flintstone found out (see above).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:04:30 PM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »
Gossling (or anybody else), have you gotten your new H4n yet? Any feedback?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »
uspino at the Zoom H4 site reported:

"Got it.
First impression: bulky and heavy as a brick. Definetly not a "pocket" recorder like the H2.
Internal microphones are really good."

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12463&sid=0bf7e0ecd75e3d8266644ec6b3df6414

------

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
uspino at the Zoom H4 site reported:

"Got it.
First impression: bulky and heavy as a brick. Definetly not a "pocket" recorder like the H2.
Internal microphones are really good."

http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12463&sid=0bf7e0ecd75e3d8266644ec6b3df6414

------

That's not surprising as the original H4 was large as well and not intended to be a pocket recorder either.

What I'm most curious about is if the new pre amps are improved as Zoom says.
I also notice that the H4n does not have an external L/M/H gain switch like the H4.  So the pre's better function properly and good.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:34:09 PM by vegas06 »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2009, 05:38:17 PM »
Hmmm.  The guy over there seems to be having doubts already (based on his personal requirements) - "I'm going to make some recording tests today and I'll decide if I keep the H4n only if the mics are extremely better than those on the H2. I don't think the extra inputs are worth the extra weight and size."

http://surround2011.blogspot.com/ is also drawn to attention there - sound samples.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com