Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 129522 times)

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »
Go for the A10, the bluetooth functionality is worth it alone.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2020, 08:31:13 PM »
Does anyone remember dubbing a cassette or two in real time?

I sure do.  And I also remember how cool it was when I got a double-cassette player that had high-speed copying so you could dub tapes at 2x speed.

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »
I remember paying for Circuit City's service contract and getting replacement dubbing decks every third time they needed speed adjustment, since they had a policy not to make the same repair three times on the same deck.

Step 1: Purchase new dubbing deck and warranty
Step 2: Take new deck to Service depot for precise speed adjustment and set record bias to my favorite tape type for recording.
Step 3: use deck until speed is not precise
Step 4: Take deck in for adjustment and calibration
Step 5: See step 3
Step 6: Take deck in for full exchange credit and pay a few dollars for a slightly nicer dubbing deck and pro-rated full 3 year warranty.
Step 7: give away all high speed duplicated cassettes when I moved a few years ago
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2020, 10:21:29 PM »
Go for the A10, the bluetooth functionality is worth it alone.

This. I love my M10s, especially for their insane battery life, but being able to check levels via your phone is a game changer.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2020, 12:12:06 AM »

Back in the day, this band I liked played very frequently, many times at venues around the Bay Area. Before a set of shows, 4 or 5 friends would drop their cassette decks and a box of tapes with me. Each night I'd get home in SF 12-1, unpack my D-5M, and put it on top of a tower of decks that were daisy chained together. Loaded them all with blanks and put them in record/pause. I could unpause 4 at a time, then unpause my D-5M for playback plus any other recording decks. Would usually get at least first tape dubbed before sleeping then wake up and finish.

Friends all committed to make at least 5 copies for others in the tree, so we could get shows circulating without a whole lot of muss/fuss. I was running km84i's and that was somewhat unusual, so there was interest in the recordings.

Beta decks were more expensive, so we only had 2 SL-2000's at our house in Oakland, making offsite backup sharing a bit slower.

Mostly used Panasonic home DATs and Sony portables. No flips made it easier, but the thrill was going.

Now I seed torrents and have a dropbox archive for file sharing, and clone and mail hard drives full of shows. Very efficient, but somehow less satisfying for this dinosaur.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2020, 07:48:44 PM »

Back in the day, this band I liked played very frequently, many times at venues around the Bay Area. Before a set of shows, 4 or 5 friends would drop their cassette decks and a box of tapes with me. Each night I'd get home in SF 12-1, unpack my D-5M, and put it on top of a tower of decks that were daisy chained together. Loaded them all with blanks and put them in record/pause. I could unpause 4 at a time, then unpause my D-5M for playback plus any other recording decks. Would usually get at least first tape dubbed before sleeping then wake up and finish.

Friends all committed to make at least 5 copies for others in the tree, so we could get shows circulating without a whole lot of muss/fuss. I was running km84i's and that was somewhat unusual, so there was interest in the recordings.

Beta decks were more expensive, so we only had 2 SL-2000's at our house in Oakland, making offsite backup sharing a bit slower.

Mostly used Panasonic home DATs and Sony portables. No flips made it easier, but the thrill was going.

Now I seed torrents and have a dropbox archive for file sharing, and clone and mail hard drives full of shows. Very efficient, but somehow less satisfying for this dinosaur.

I remember that house in Oakland.   :bigsmile:

Offline guitard

« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
Just got this little guy in today.  I thought about saying something about how small it is ... but figured so many others ... oh fuck it ... I'll just go ahead then, THIS THING IS TINY!!!!

So in the Settings > Recording Settings menu -- there are a couple of settings I'm wondering about.

Recording Filter
NCF (Noise Cut)
LCF (Low Cut)

LIMITER
ON
OFF

I will be running the A10 as:  MK41s > Nbob Actives > Nbox Baby or Platinum > A10 > (24/96) -- usually at moderately to very loud shows.

Which of the two options under Recording Filter (NCF or LCF) and LIMITER (ON or OFF) should I start out using?

I've asked a few folks at Dime who are running the exact same rig I'm using (one with a Baby Nbox and the other with the Platinum) who both record in similar circumstances about input levels, and the Baby box user said 5-6; and the Platinum user said between 3-5.  I see others in these A10 threads using much higher input levels, but they aren't using Nboxes.  I haven't even tried it out yet, so obviously, I'll learn plenty when I get out there.  But just wanted to ask here if this sounds right.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »
THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

but seriously, it can take to (i beleive +11dBU), no brickwalling all the way down to input level 1. it buys a good amount of dynamic range at higher input levels

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:53:57 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2020, 06:59:12 PM »
Looking over your sig, seems like you have a rig that you've used before as well as the new hotness.

If that's the case, then my recommendation is:
1. Set up your old rig in a room with a stereo that you can turn up a bit. Place mics pretty close to speakers, set rig to usual gain for a show, then turn up stereo until you see usual levels.
2. Set up new rig w mics similarly situated, play stereo at previously determined loudness, then adjust gain on A10 until you're happy.

Not perfect, but has always worked for me for getting rough idea of starting point for new gear.

Hope that was clear; please let me know if I can unconfuse anything.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline guitard

« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2020, 07:05:06 PM »
Looking over your sig, seems like you have a rig that you've used before as well as the new hotness.

If that's the case, then my recommendation is:
1. Set up your old rig in a room with a stereo that you can turn up a bit. Place mics pretty close to speakers, set rig to usual gain for a show, then turn up stereo until you see usual levels.
2. Set up new rig w mics similarly situated, play stereo at previously determined loudness, then adjust gain on A10 until you're happy.

Not perfect, but has always worked for me for getting rough idea of starting point for new gear.

Hope that was clear; please let me know if I can unconfuse anything.

Clear as mud!!  No seriously - great suggestion.  Thanks.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2020, 07:25:18 PM »
Just got this little guy in today.  I thought about saying something about how small it is ... but figured so many others ... oh fuck it ... I'll just go ahead then, THIS THING IS TINY!!!!

So in the Settings > Recording Settings menu -- there are a couple of settings I'm wondering about.

Recording Filter
NCF (Noise Cut)  OFF
LCF (Low Cut)  OFF

LIMITER  OFF
ON
OFF

I will be running the A10 as:  MK41s > Nbob Actives > Nbox Baby or Platinum > A10 > (24/96) -- usually at moderately to very loud shows.

Which of the two options under Recording Filter (NCF or LCF) and LIMITER (ON or OFF) should I start out using?

I've asked a few folks at Dime who are running the exact same rig I'm using (one with a Baby Nbox and the other with the Platinum) who both record in similar circumstances about input levels, and the Baby box user said 5-6; and the Platinum user said between 3-5.  I see others in these A10 threads using much higher input levels, but they aren't using Nboxes.  I haven't even tried it out yet, so obviously, I'll learn plenty when I get out there.  But just wanted to ask here if this sounds right.

Offline guitard

« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »

Recording Filter
NCF (Noise Cut)  OFF
LCF (Low Cut)  OFF

LIMITER  OFF
ON
OFF

Thanks!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »
im not a limiter guy but ive heard this one is useless
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2020, 08:10:02 PM »
LIMITER
ON
OFF
I use the limiter. Use the mobile app and you can toggle it on and off while recording and watching levels.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2021, 12:10:24 PM »
Does anyone have any word from Sony as to when they'll release a firmware edition beyond 1.01? Hopefully one that will take care of the audible clicks when changing levels manually. Remote takes care of that I know.
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com