Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices 722 vs Korg MR 1000  (Read 34901 times)

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices 722 vs Korg MR 1000
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »
Great thread. Wish I had a 722 to help make a comparison. I've been really happy
with my mr1k.

Just you wait, within a year there will be preamp and hdd->ssd mods available
to these Korg units. Than we'll have a 1 box solution that will hands down
blow away anything else out there, even the mighty 722. Jury's still out on
mr1k stock vs. 722, looking forward to hearing more comparisons...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »
and if you put it in the context of measurement...does the ruler w/the most "notches" make the most accurate measurement?
yes.

NO! A ruler with more "notches" will make the more precise measurement. </engineer>

accurate and precise ...sort of close.  semantics.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:33:36 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline trustynick

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2007, 12:03:36 AM »
I've been reading this thread with interest as I have been trying to decide between these two recorders myself.  I use the 722 for work on a regular basis and just love it but was excited about DSD and figured it would be nice to save a little money on the Korg.  So, I ordered the MR1k before traveling to do some important personal recordings. 

Here are my impressions:
Construction is nice: case and controls are certainly not as solid as the Sound Devices but not your typical cheap plastic "pro" recorder.  Included carrying bag is very handy and functional.  But, when I plugged in some mics (ME67 & neumann kms105), I was pretty disappointed.  To my ears the internal pres have too much hiss, sound pretty thin and, as mentioned by others, were really hot and prone to spiking.  I panicked a bit and wound up borrowing a Sound Devices 302 to use as a front-end for my recordings.  Results were great with this set-up but, not having an external preamp of my own, I've pretty much decided to return the Korg.  I really need a 1 box solution and just don't see the point of making higher resolution recordings with compromised sound quality coming in.  I tend to record pretty quiet sources (not rock concerts) so noisey preamps are quite distracting and make editing a nightmare.  I may wait on buying a Sound Devices (probably opt for a 702) as I'd still be really curious to hear the MR1k with preamp mods. 

I really wanted this recorder to measure up to (or surpass!) the 722 but I just don't feel like it’s in the same league sound wise.  If I'm going to spend this much money on a recorder, I feel that I should be able to make a good clean recording with it out of the box.  Sound Devices, as a company, seems to share this philosophy.  With Korg, I get the sense that they're hedging their bets a little: knowing that many users will just want the MR1k for mastering or will have their own high-end external preamps and decided to cut costs in this area.

Hope this is helpful for others juggling these options.
-Nick
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 12:11:19 AM by trustynick »

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2007, 02:32:11 AM »
For those who haven't seen it, Busman announced in the Korg Team thread that he now has an MR-1000 and should have a mod available after a month or so. I'm interested to see what he has to offer. He's also asking for suggestions on what people would like fixed, so let him know.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com