Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Metering, was JB3 metering  (Read 14811 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Metering, was JB3 metering
« on: November 02, 2003, 12:17:00 PM »
Someone over at JB3 metereing had found some handy external meters...  But they are like $100...

Here are some cheapies that require a little workshoping:
http://www.kelvin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=K&Product_Code=841127

And some more:

http://www.hobbytron.net/audiosub.html

Not sure if these are the right things, but it is interesting...  Check out the star meter at Hobbytron...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
Re:Metering, was JB3 metering
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 02:28:24 PM »
nice finds! +T

this one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4305.html looks perfect ... just solder on a  stereo miniplug and plug it into the headphone jack of the jb3. it could probibly run off the same battery as a UA-5. you could even get a realy nice one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4306.html.

Dissclamer: I dont know shit! the most advanced soldering / electrical building project i'v done is the jordan shapiro battery pack.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 06:19:03 PM »
nice finds! +T

this one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4305.html looks perfect ... just solder on a  stereo miniplug and plug it into the headphone jack of the jb3. it could probibly run off the same battery as a UA-5. you could even get a realy nice one http://www.hobbytron.net/vk4306.html.

Dissclamer: I dont know shit! the most advanced soldering / electrical building project i'v done is the jordan shapiro battery pack.

Would it be better to hook these up somewhere else in the chain?  Seems to me that it would then take the headphone volume into account, which is not part of the recording...  so, the question is, is that the best place to put this in the signal chain?

Peace, and thanks-
Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 09:14:55 PM »
Well, you could calibrate the headphone volume setting so that an over on the meter = probably about -2 on the deck or so. It may not be possible with every headphone output or this particular meter, though.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 09:24:29 PM »
Could it be hooked up to the analog output of a preamp, assuming it has digital outputs being used for recording ?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 06:13:20 AM »
i think it would be better from the pre than the headphone jack.  using the headphone jack would suck up the batteriesof the jb3, no?

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 09:42:36 AM »
i think it would be better from the pre than the headphone jack.  using the headphone jack would suck up the batteriesof the jb3, no?

jr

thats what i would think, if you were gonna go out of the jb3, why would you go out of the headphone output? it has 2 analog "line outs" on the back that would be much better right?

i think someone was saying before that going analog out of your pre wouldnt do a great job...

but im stuck with a jb3 and a ua5, the worst combo for metering. so i might be testing one of these out real soon

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 09:50:33 AM »
i am buying the VU Meter - 2x15 LED Stereo VU Meter Kit
V-K4306 , it has terminal pins ready to be soldered to a 1/8 stereo jack, and seems to be ready to go with a tiny bit of soldering. il just build/make a handy little box for it... wish i had time before primus friday.... damn

from http://www.hobbytron.net/audiosub.html

assembled for 53.95, and a kit for 39.20. im just gonna stick with the pre-assembled package i believe

nice find!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 09:54:32 AM by caymanreview »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 09:51:19 AM »

jr

thats what i would think, if you were gonna go out of the jb3, why would you go out of the headphone output? it has 2 analog "line outs" on the back that would be much better right?

i think someone was saying before that going analog out of your pre wouldnt do a great job...

but im stuck with a jb3 and a ua5, the worst combo for metering. so i might be testing one of these out real soon

I am prolly going to be stuck with that as well pretty soon... depending on what pre I decide to purchase, so I am very interested in any results you might find if you test this...  I want to add some kind of nice meter to my setup, but I am just not sure where...

I think the line out might of the NJB3 might not be a bad idea... I just got my nomad, so I am not sure about this, but with every other portable audio player that I have had, the line out jack is not subject to the volume of the headphones, so we would not have to worry about that, if the nomad works the same way!

Peace-
~AP

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 09:52:54 AM »
yeah, they are not subject to volume increases and decreases, its just the direct signal of that the jb3 is getting, just analog

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 09:53:51 AM »
i am buying the VU Meter - 2x15 LED Stereo VU Meter Kit
V-K4306 , it has terminal pins ready to be soldered to a 1/8 stereo jack, and seems to be ready to go with a tiny bit of soldering. il just build/make a handy little box for it... wish i had time before primus friday.... damn

from http://www.hobbytron.net/audiosub.html

assembled for 53.95, and a kit for 39.20. im just gonna stick with the pre-assembled package i believe

nice find!

Sorry for the thread change- I presume you are not stealthing at the Primus concert?    I saw on dat-heads that some people were having some problems taking in a complete rig, so I was thinking about stealthing...

At any rate, I am going to be taping them on Sunday in Detroit - trade SHNs?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 09:56:38 AM »
primus is allowing open taping

must have been problems with the venue and not the band

we can definantly trade shn's. it will be my first run with the 3 mic mix... 2 cards and 1 omni... should be interesting
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 11:49:05 AM by caymanreview »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 02:01:55 PM »
when i saw strokes/kings of leon a few weeks ago at the state theatre they were hard core about security.  they actually went up one leg, moved my junk to the other side, and then went down the other leg.  i know that strokes aren't open taping or anything, but the security was tight nontheless.  just a heads up, i don't know what it'll be like for primus.

i did notice that if you go in the side door to the bar first, they don't check ya, and just make sure you have a ticket before you go into the actual venue...that might be easier for getting gear in.

goodluck, i'll be there, but not taping, i think there'll be enuf of you, and i promised my friends i would actually enjoy this concert tape free...but i'd love copies, if its at all possible...i got lots to trade.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 03:02:01 PM »
when i saw strokes/kings of leon a few weeks ago at the state theatre they were hard core about security.  they actually went up one leg, moved my junk to the other side, and then went down the other leg.  i know that strokes aren't open taping or anything, but the security was tight nontheless.  just a heads up, i don't know what it'll be like for primus.

i did notice that if you go in the side door to the bar first, they don't check ya, and just make sure you have a ticket before you go into the actual venue...that might be easier for getting gear in.

goodluck, i'll be there, but not taping, i think there'll be enuf of you, and i promised my friends i would actually enjoy this concert tape free...but i'd love copies, if its at all possible...i got lots to trade.

ed

Thanks for the heads up.  I am thinking about calling up to the State and seeing how they are going to be about it.  I am also going there to see/tape Rat Dog, who will obviously be completely open, so I would imagine that I could talk to them then.

Peace.
Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 03:58:19 PM »
what town are you seeing primus at the state theatre? im seeing them in chicago at the aragon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com