Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right angle xlr problem...  (Read 3313 times)

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Right angle xlr problem...
« on: December 26, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »
So I bought a couple of nice new cables with right angle connectors to use with my km184s for ORTF .   However, the configuration of the female end that plugs into the mics means I have to mount the mics upside down, which means that the Neumann badges are on the bottom and interferes with mounting the mics in the clips properly.  For mics with no external badges, this would be no problem, but for the Neumann badges which stick out, I can’t make this work.
Is there an easy solution to this that I am missing?  Thanks

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Right angle xlr problem...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 02:25:30 PM »
So I bought a couple of nice new cables with right angle connectors to use with my km184s for ORTF .   However, the configuration of the female end that plugs into the mics means I have to mount the mics upside down, which means that the Neumann badges are on the bottom and interferes with mounting the mics in the clips properly.  For mics with no external badges, this would be no problem, but for the Neumann badges which stick out, I can’t make this work.

Use Rycote INV mounts instead of standard mic clips. The raised badge shouldn't interfere because you only have the two lyres holding the mic.

Or, are you using a combo mount with them? I assume you aren't using an SRS Recording mount because it seems Scott makes those so they don't interfere with the badge.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 02:33:33 PM »

Use Rycote INV mounts instead of standard mic clips. The raised badge shouldn't interfere because you only have the two lyres holding the mic.

Or, are you using a combo mount with them? I assume you aren't using an SRS Recording mount because it seems Scott makes those so they don't interfere with the badge.

I gave a friend a pair of the INVs to use with his 184s and he sent me these pics to show the badge placement

Offline jnorman

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »
Thanks guys. I also found a workaround. I can hang the setup upside down.  See photo

Offline jnorman

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 04:51:55 PM »
Voze - are those custom cables?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »
it’s been a while since i made up RA cables but if those in your first pic are switchcraft or neutron, most of those models are rotatable for position inside, at 3 or more detention options
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 08:14:51 AM »
it’s been a while since i made up RA cables but if those in your first pic are switchcraft or neutron, most of those models are rotatable for position inside, at 3 or more detention options

Right on. The ones jnorman has are the old Neutrik ones, I believe. Remove the screws on the outer housing and the shell comes apart, and you can rotate wherever you want.

No shock mounting?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 10:12:18 AM »
Voze - are those custom cables?
Yes DIY cables

Offline jnorman

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 06:24:21 PM »
Thanks voltronic - I took the connectors apart and sure enough they are adjustable, so I am now set.  Still can’t do actual ORTF without spacers, so I will be using NOS 90 degrees at 0.2m separation.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:27:21 PM by jnorman »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 07:31:18 AM »
Thanks voltronic - I took the connectors apart and sure enough they are adjustable, so I am now set.  Still can’t do actual ORTF without spacers, so I will be using NOS 90 degrees at 0.2m separation.

I'm sure if you post an ISO in the Yard Sale, someone will have a riser they are willing to part with.

Alternately, you could buy one of those SRS Recording setups I linked above if you find yourself doing ORTF often. Scott does some great designs, and he will also custom make anything you ask.

You could then easily shock mount the entire thing for cheap using one of these mounts.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 11:10:20 AM »
I can't see the photos, but are the right-angle XLRs able to be reconfigured so as to rotate the puns 180 degrees, or as much as needed without resoldering? Alternately was going to suggest hanging the mounts below the bar instead of above it, which I find sometimes preferable anyway, but sounds like that solution was already noted
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dnuggs

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Festivaaaaal!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 04:49:57 PM »
The upside down way is how I mount my km184's in the stock shockmounts.

Offline jnorman

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 11:02:58 PM »
Gutbucket - yes, I was able to rotate the unit 180 degrees without having to resolder.  I had to be a bit ginger with it so as not to torque the wires/connections too much, but it worked.

Voltronic - I have tried spacers and also shapeways mounts, and did not like the aesthetics of either setup.  I try to keep it as visually minimalist as possible. 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 07:06:00 AM »
Voltronic - I have tried spacers and also shapeways mounts, and did not like the aesthetics of either setup.  I try to keep it as visually minimalist as possible.

I just looked at the SRS / Shapeways mounts for your mics, and I have to agree with you. Other than the NOS mount, I'm not a fan of how the rest of them look. It's all because of that pesky badge which interferes with the clips gripping the mics farther back, and that means you have to vertically offset the mics.  I've never liked that look.  The Line Audio mounts I use don't have that problem because the mics are short and the bodies fully smooth.

You could always email Scott at SRS and ask him to do a custom design using the older open-style mic clips, and gripping the mics close to the connector end so you don't have to vertically offset.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com