Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B9Audio microphone discussion  (Read 63964 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: B9Audio microphone discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
These mics look really nice, and the samples sound excellent.    Even better, we have the manufacturer on board here.    Thank you!!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
Thank you for that description.  The VR Ball array provides quite powerful post-production flexibility which works especially well for that application.  Really nice.

"And you also avoid someone pointing at your microphone said: You're pointing to the wrong direction."
^
Some may think this is in jest, and perhaps it is.  But I actually get this reaction regularly with my OMT setups featuring multiple microphones pointing in various directions away from the source and typically just one pointed directly at it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline b9audio

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 09:10:56 PM »
First time 7 channel setup, VR Ball.
Addtional to the 2 Omni and 4 Fig-8, there is a open cardioid at the nose position. Connection done with 2 XLR-10 pin socket and cable.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 09:22:21 PM »
Going to have to arrive a half-hour early to the show for setup  :bigsmile: ;D
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 11:13:15 PM »
Going to have to arrive a half-hour early to the show for setup  :bigsmile: ;D

About the same as usual....
Prepared with 4-channel, single plug cables helps a lot.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2018, 05:46:07 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+T great cabling!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
First time 7 channel setup, VR Ball.
Addtional to the 2 Omni and 4 Fig-8, there is a open cardioid at the nose position.

I'm intrigued about the open cardioid at the front of the ball.  This arrangement (without the fig-8s) is quite similar to some baffled L/C/R and L/C/R/S setups I use, except the baffle is not spherical and the center microphone is another flush-mounted omni.

If you don't mind a few questions-
How much does the presence of the ball immediately behind the open cardioid capsule effect its pickup pattern?
Have you tried other pickup patterns in that position such as supercardioid or omni?

I'd like to hear some samples with and without the center microphone if you have them available.

Thanks.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:53 PM »
I'm intrigued about the open cardioid at the front of the ball.  This arrangement (without the fig-8s) is quite similar to some baffled L/C/R and L/C/R/S setups I use, except the baffle is not spherical and the center microphone is another flush-mounted omni.

How much does the presence of the ball immediately behind the open cardioid capsule effect its pickup pattern?
Have you tried other pickup patterns in that position such as supercardioid or omni?

I'd like to hear some samples with and without the center microphone if you have them available.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this recording cannot be shared. I will share in the future when I have the right one.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »

Thanks.

Unfortunately, this recording cannot be shared. I will share in the future when I have the right one.

Not even a lossy .mp3..?  Never groveled before, but this might be interesting to hear.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 11:38:35 AM »
No worries and no rush.  Will be very interested to hear it when you do have something you can share.  Thanks for your presence here at TS. 

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
CSM88 to pick up Steinway D274 tonight.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »
sexy

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2018, 05:20:38 AM »
The piano is an aged Yamaha G3.
B9audio CSM88 piano sound sample
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:22:18 AM by b9audio »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »
in that picture, the mic looks like it's facing backwards?    Recording out of phase?

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2018, 10:58:30 PM »
in that picture, the mic looks like it's facing backwards?    Recording out of phase?

Since it is a 2-part unit, microphone is align with the capsule part. The pre-stage part cannot be align perfectly with the capsule part.
There will be a XY version with 2 cardioid CMS44 in the future, share the same pre-stage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com