Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 > CA 9100 > Tascam dr-2D (line in) recording level question  (Read 4762 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hi, I have a very specific question this time, for tapers with the exact same rig than me.

I'll be using my DPA 4061 for the first time in a couple of days to tape a loud rock concert.

I noticed that when pushing the CA 9100 to maximum gain and setting the Tascam dr-2D line in level to 100/100, I still get a waveform that barely reaches -20dB. (When testing at home, pushing my home stereo to the point I need to wear earplugs and putting the mics very close to the speaker).

So I guess I should set my gear the same way while at the show?

Many thanks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:08:28 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
That's a safe bet.  SPL at the concert is likely to be higher than what you've simulated using your stereo, particularly in the low bass range, and the miniature DPA omnis do no roll off any bottom end.  Check levels at the show and reduce gain on the 9100 if necessary.

For quieter material where you require more gain than what is available from the 9100 into the line-input, switch to the mic-input of the DR2d where you can increase gain on the recorder.  Safe mic-input gain range on the DR2d is settings of 67 or higher.  If you experience clipping or get uncomfortably closet to clipping using the mic-input at a minimal stetting of 67, you'll need to switch back to the line-input (set between 95 and 100).

For optimal gain staging, you typically want to get most of your gain from the earliest stage of the recording chain.  In this case that's the 9100.  So crank that up before you crank up the DR2d.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Thank you for those wise advices Gutbucket :)

Following my distorted bass issues with the 4060, I finally decided to buy a pair of 4061.
First show tonight and it's gonna be ear-bleeding loud. Let's see what happens...
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
good luck !
I  know your feeling - still the same when I am out with new gear,
fingers crossed
pillowman
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11

An "ear bleeding loud" concert environment cannot be faithfully reproduced on a home stereo. Even when I had two 500 watt Meyer amps running a pair of Klipsch Heresy II speakers I couldn't even come close.

I wouldn't imagine you would have trouble getting adequate levels and you may find yourself backing off the levels on the preamp at the show especially if you are up close to the speakers or stage.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
The 4061's can do some REALLY deep, heavy bass without distorting.  I rolled them for one show which had bass that literally kicked through you and the recording was "all bass" -- something that somewhat fixable in post.  The 4061's are very true to the room sound save for the slight DPA bump you get (which you either love or hate).
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com