Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best desktop hard drive for Mac?  (Read 1941 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Best desktop hard drive for Mac?
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:34:28 PM »
Hey all,

I need to add another pony to my stable (for my iMac) and I thought I'd ask everyone's opinion here. I have three Lacie Quadra external hard drives and I love them, but Lacie no longer makes the Quadra and the new Lacie drives I've looked at on Amazon have Seagate innards and do not have the best reviews as far as longevity.

I also have an 8TB GDrive hard drive that I like that is a little over a year old but looking at GDrive reviews on Amazon there are some that are a bit disconcerting. GDrive no longer makes an 8TB drive but instead makes a 10tb. Some of the reviews on the 10tb GDrive claim that because of the larger size the drive has a slow writing speed, and there are some reviews that tell of an untimely death when the units are still fairly new.

Whenever I get a new hard drive I alocate my previous drive for backup of the newly acquired one, so I will use the 8tb GDrive as a backup.

Question: Is GDrive still a good company (better than Lacie?) AND... would two smaller drives be better than one larger one? IE; would two 4TB drives be a better choice than one 8tb (or 10tb)? I like the higher capacity but worry about having all my eggs in one basket should the main drive fail (even though I always have duplicate files on backup drives.) Plus, the 4tb drives might be a bit faster for file transfers???

Others have suggested RAID drives for redundacy, but with a RAID both drives are always running, whereas my backup drives are not operating unless I am adding to them. I tend to think that every hour that a drive runs is an hour off of its life, so I treat backup drives as storage only. Is this a good way to go about this?

Thanks to everyone in advance for the input.

ONT

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Best desktop hard drive for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »
i have yet to see any statistical determination that one brand is more reliable than another

my MO is to buy the cheapest drive i can find of similar spec, and keep multiple physical backups
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »
my MO is to buy the cheapest drive i can find of similar spec, and keep multiple physical backups

This.

All drives will fail. Buy cheap ones and keep everything backed up in multiple locations.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 12:26:12 PM »
I do computer repair and small business IT for a living.  Hands down I see more Seagate failures than I do Western Digital.  YMMV.......
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 01:03:24 PM »
good to know!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 07:55:47 PM »
I use OWC Mercury Elite Duo enclosures in their RAID 1 mode as my working drives (various models as my computers' port options evolved). I like the form factor of these and have had luck with their reliability. (No loss of data to date, knock wood.) I have three on my desk right now: one for my commercial photography, one for my art photography, and one for sound projects. As I need higher capacity drives I swap in new drives into the enclosure--and also swap drives if ever I hear a sound I don't like (once burned and all that--with a Lacie drive). These are available in a 4 bay form factor as well.

I regularly back up each working drive to a pair of bare HDs--the cheapest I can find, cross-referenced to the Backblaze reliability stats linked above so I'm not buying a model with a high-failure rate.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
Thanks all for your input

ONT-

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 08:34:38 PM »
GDrive is made by WD.
I buy the WD full size desktop external drives, according to the deal of the day. This week 8TB costs about $140.
WD just came out with new larger drives in 16 and 18TB sizes. They are not a bargain though.
Best deal I've seen for WD bulk storage was last winter, when the 14TB drives were down to $200.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com