Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KORG MR-1 pt.II  (Read 107786 times)

Offline igene

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: KORG MR-1 pt.II
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »
they are all the same,
so mine should go the other way too.
I'll test the inputs and power later today.
Left it charging all nite.
==========================================

> after running some tests >

- the jack to the left is correct. Otherwise it blocks the 2 outputs.
- My battery IS dying. I charged all nite and rec. for 2 min's and batt. level dropped 1 bar.
- sounds great. This is going to be a great little recorder when the mods are done !

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:28:05 PM by igene »
Leela : ...what are we going to do ?
the Doctor : Should we try using our Intelligence ?
Leela : Well, if you think it's a good idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.
the Doctor : Well, I do talk to myself sometimes, Yes...

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »
Full info on the TRANSCEND CFast CF card (16GB max) >

http://www.transcendusa.com/support/dlcenter/Datasheet/TSxxGCFX500_Datasheet.V03.pdf

It isn't a standard CF card - It uses a SATA interface and not the standard CF/IDE interface
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »

It's a new standard based on the CF form, but different connection.

Actually, this may be a good thing.
Perhaps there is a converter made that will fit this card and the deck...?

This is the start of a faster card format, so others may soon be available.

could be worth pursuing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:17:42 PM by igene »

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2011, 06:18:45 PM »
This is my battery:

http://www.amazon.com/MACALLY-External-Battery-all-iPods/dp/B000CGG8LW/ref=pd_sim_e_4

They are out of production and a bit hard to find, but it is the only one that seems to work with the MR-1. The problem is that the MR-1 periodically needs a high current, so you need to find one that has over 1 A. Most have 500 mA or less current. I've tried a few. For the low current ones, I keep having to unplug and replug the battery because the on screen battery indicator will switch from "charging" to not charging.

Nice set of pics, tedyun!
So how much time can you get with that battery?
The problem I have, is that it needs to keep supplying enough power (5v or UP, right?) to convince the MR1 that it is plugged in, and all the stuff I've tried so far, including the Korg's own battery pack will power it, but sometimes its charging and sometimes it isn't.

With the 4 AA pack, I can get a solid 2 hrs. + whatever life is left in the internal. In a decent unit, that's 2 hours already, so there you have 4 hrs, but in order to preserve the internal, you want to keep supplying it power so that it doesn't lose its charge except when absolutely necessary.

I hope this battery information will help you, igene, we'll see:

Check how many tapes were made on the unit. Assume that each one drained a 2.5 hour battery.
The MR1 needs a nice 24hr charge before you take it out in the field, which is a huge problem if you are taping 2 nights in a row.
Sometimes I can't get it to charge up completely before I'm out the door for the next night.
That's why the need for an external. (see above about keeping it charged.)

Right now I have a very nice (and slightly large and heavy)  Tekkeon 3450 that I got from Rich in the yard sale.
Tested it last night and got 6+hours and the MR1 shows 3 bars afterwards. So it is good at keeping it think it is "plugged in".
The moment you take it out into the field with the internal, the crappy battery begins its demise!

So you'll have to charge it up good and then run it and see how much juice it has.

I'll have to look for one of those adapters at Walmart.
Haven't seen one anywhere until your picture.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »
does anyone know any maintenance codes...

like finding out total hours used etc... ?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »
With the 4 AA pack, I can get a solid 2 hrs. + whatever life is left in the internal.

I got around 4 hours + what the internal provided using 2000 mA Eneloops when I had an MR-1.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
This is my battery:

http://www.amazon.com/MACALLY-External-Battery-all-iPods/dp/B000CGG8LW/ref=pd_sim_e_4

They are out of production and a bit hard to find, but it is the only one that seems to work with the MR-1. The problem is that the MR-1 periodically needs a high current, so you need to find one that has over 1 A. Most have 500 mA or less current. I've tried a few. For the low current ones, I keep having to unplug and replug the battery because the on screen battery indicator will switch from "charging" to not charging.

Check how many tapes were made on the unit. Assume that each one drained a 2.5 hour battery.
The MR1 needs a nice 24hr charge before you take it out in the field, which is a huge problem if you are taping 2 nights in a row.
Sometimes I can't get it to charge up completely before I'm out the door for the next night.
That's why the need for an external. (see above about keeping it charged.)

Right now I have a very nice (and slightly large and heavy)  Tekkeon 3450 that I got from Rich in the yard sale.
Tested it last night and got 6+hours and the MR1 shows 3 bars afterwards. So it is good at keeping it think it is "plugged in".
The moment you take it out into the field with the internal, the crappy battery begins its demise!

So you'll have to charge it up good and then run it and see how much juice it has.

I'll have to look for one of those adapters at Walmart.
Haven't seen one anywhere until your picture.

Since your MaCally battery is hard to find, and expensive...

I ran across this as a good alternative

(5V/5Ah/Li-ion/1Amp output)
http://www.newtrent.com/IMP50D-dual-USB-5000mAh-iphone-battery-p/imp50d.htm
more info >
http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Dual-port-IMP50D-Blackberry/dp/B003690Q42/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295653483&sr=1-4

I'm going to let my batt. charge a full day to see if that's the issue.
Otherwise, I'm working on that internal upgrade solution.

The Walmart adapter may or may not work, but try anyway, you never know.
I'm not going by a Walmart anytime soon.
But you should take your MR-1 to the store and try it out.
I like the way it would sit low on the deck. I'd get one if it fits.

They are $12+tax at Walmart and $7. shipped on eBay.

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
@jb63

So how much time can you get with that battery?
The problem I have, is that it needs to keep supplying enough power (5v or UP, right?) to convince the MR1 that it is plugged in, and all the stuff I've tried so far, including the Korg's own battery pack will power it, but sometimes its charging and sometimes it isn't.

I'm not sure how much run time I get -- I have had it going for around 4 hr with plenty of charge left. I also have the same problem with battery packs - including the Macally - where the battery sign switches from "charging" to not. At this point, I have to unplug then plug the power connector. With the Macally, the frequency of switching off the "charging" is less. Maybe once or twice over a 3-4 hr period. I have tried a Powerbank and Tekkeon, and with both, I am constantly unplugging and replugging the connector. Probably once every 5 min.

With the Tekkeon, my at home tests made me think it would work, but in the field, it wasn't working out so well.

The only other system that works for me is a DVD battery connecter to a voltage regulator. My voltage regulator was made by BJ, but I think the tgakidis boxes should work also.

@igene

The Macallys will appear every once in a while in the YS. You could always by used for $30 from Amazon. Mine is used and it works fine.

That newtrent looks good, and it outputs 1 A, so it should be OK. Unfortunately, you have to buy and try. The Powerbanks that I use are also supposed to output 1 A, but I still have problems in the field.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2011, 11:14:58 PM »
Well, I'll be taking out 3 of them with 3 external battery packs next week, so I'll report back.

:-)

Meanwhile, this thread had a decent pic of the battery:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133941

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
Do any of you know if supplying too MUCH power is OK?
For example the Tekkeon's lowest setting is 5v, but I could set it to 7v and that might mean that the

Before I ever made the choice for this unit, I devoured this exhaustive piece by guy:

http://www.sonicstudios.com/mr-1revw.htm

quoted from there:

"Deck has momentary high +0.85 amp demands on external power especially during startup even with fully charged battery. AND very quick ~0.75 amp surges (HD access) challenging some external regulated 5 volt sources to drop below full 5 volts needed by the deck.

KNOW THE FOLLOWING: MR-1 shuts down the external supply connection trying its OWN internal battery (if charged enough) if supply voltage drops at any time to ~4.65 volts.

But battery gage still shows charging(!) unless external supply voltage is disconnected, OR external supply drops further to 4.1 volts where MR-1 battery gage shows (no charging) normal 3-bar battery gage display.

So now there's chance of knowing external power with poor load regulation often causes MR-1 to not function at startup, and at times of intensive disk access. Hope users have less problems than before selecting and running MR-1 from 'working' external power supply products in the market."

So I thought that maybe 7v would be of some help. I remember reading a thread here that someone had used a battery that gave too much power and it worked out OK.

still there's more,

jb

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
@igene

I have batteries that look almost identical to the DealExtreme, and have the same specs (Variable out, 5V/1.5 A). These are the "Powerbank" batteries. They sounded good, and did well in home tests, but out in the field, they kept switching from "charging" to not. At this point, I unplug and plug, which is kind of annoying, especially in stealth. That being said, I've never run out of juice using these, but I can't recommend them.

@jb63

Someone was feeding the MR-1 directly with 9V from a DVD battery with no problems. I can't seem to find the thread at the moment, but will post if I do.

I'm starting to think H2O is correct that the difference between the SLC and MLC is their Random Write speeds. Using a slower CF card (133x) I can only write 16/44.1, which is 0.1852 Mbps, exactly 1/3 the speed of the 24/88.2 stream that a 400x card can write (and 133x is 3-fold slower than 400x). I think I will try a 600x card. Cross your fingers! I'll report back for sure.

Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »
Do any of you know if supplying too MUCH power is OK?
For example the Tekkeon's lowest setting is 5v, but I could set it to 7v and that might mean that the

Before I ever made the choice for this unit, I devoured this exhaustive piece by guy:

http://www.sonicstudios.com/mr-1revw.htm

quoted from there:

"Deck has momentary high +0.85 amp demands on external power especially during startup even with fully charged battery. AND very quick ~0.75 amp surges (HD access) challenging some external regulated 5 volt sources to drop below full 5 volts needed by the deck.

KNOW THE FOLLOWING: MR-1 shuts down the external supply connection trying its OWN internal battery (if charged enough) if supply voltage drops at any time to ~4.65 volts.

But battery gage still shows charging(!) unless external supply voltage is disconnected, OR external supply drops further to 4.1 volts where MR-1 battery gage shows (no charging) normal 3-bar battery gage display.

So now there's chance of knowing external power with poor load regulation often causes MR-1 to not function at startup, and at times of intensive disk access. Hope users have less problems than before selecting and running MR-1 from 'working' external power supply products in the market."

So I thought that maybe 7v would be of some help. I remember reading a thread here that someone had used a battery that gave too much power and it worked out OK.

still there's more,

jb

I actually did read (and skimmed) thru most of the info.
based on that...
I'm working on another (custom) external solution that I haven't posted yet.
I'd like an external pack for non-stealth situations.
I found a guy who makes Li-poly & Li-ion power cells.
I gave him the specs - just waiting to hear back.
It might be around $70.
It's a 5V/~8AH (@ 1" thick) battery and the size is almost the same as the MR-1
with a right angle connector.

BTW - it seems 6V is a good amount of voltage to power the deck longer.
  I don't know the tolorances, but 1 volt is certainly no issue.
(I wouldn't do 9V, that might smoke the voltage regulator).
I have enough bad experiences with that !

I hate the smell of burning silicon in the morning, it smells like defeat..

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2011, 10:46:12 PM »
I found a guy who makes Li-poly & Li-ion power cells.
I gave him the specs - just waiting to hear back.
It might be around $70.
It's a 5V/~8AH (@ 1" thick) battery and the size is almost the same as the MR-1 with a right angle connector.

BTW - it seems 6V is a good amount of voltage to power the deck longer.
I don't know the tolorances, but 1 volt is certainly no issue.
(I wouldn't do 9V, that might smoke the voltage regulator).

Well, as far as tolerances go, eventually my unit with 16mins of battery life may get to be the guinea pig.
From the links you posted, this $40 battery:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-usb-battery-with-cell-phone-adaptors-4400mah-5v-8-4v-output-4822

Dimensions: 3.35 in x 2.24 in x 0.83 in
Weight: 11.85 oz
Output: DC 5V/1.5A, 6V/1.2A, 8.4V/0.8A

would allow a set 6v output, which might work, assuming that these batteries would sometimes dip below 5v when set at that.
The MR-1 is 0.9 x 0.7 x 0.3 inches & 2.6 pounds, so that battery would still be bigger.

The pics of tedyun's MACALLY External look good. The cable a bit unwieldy, so I'd want a nice custom job for that. A long & a short one.
If what you're trying to get made would work like that, then that's a good $70.

Keeping it all so compact is nice, but really, since you are only getting, what? 3v phantom power out of the mic in, then most of us will bulk up on mics, preamps or mic power modules, which will expand the footprint and tangle thing up a bit. Right now the units I run have a power cord and a splitter running out of them and that kind of gets messy in your pocket.

(damn! just missed another PMD620 on ebay!)

When I used the MR1 as a backup only to my DAT back in 2008 and the batter ran for 2.5 hrs, it was a nice companion.
I kept it in my breast pocket and while the 2-channel splitter was a little bulky, even with the case it was not in the way.

Now...

Not stealthy at all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com