Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KORG MR-1 pt.II  (Read 107216 times)

Offline igene

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: KORG MR-1 pt.II
« Reply #270 on: February 01, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
so this new card will be the fastest tested so far.

but it's MLC not SLC though.
I though we established SLC was need to handle this type datastream @ 1bit.

....at least this will verify if the 92Mb/s write is fast enough in MLC or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm been doing some thinking about modding (cutting out) the back cover to accommodate a taller battery, or 2 batteries stacked.
Someone mentioned something about that.
I've had devices like cellphones and PDA's that I got an extended battery for (w/ a new back cover).
I was thinking something similar. Find a higher capacity cellphone battery and use the supplied cover to extend and protect it.
It would bulge a bit in the back, but it would be worth it if you got 2X the power.
I'm also concerned about what it would look like completed. I don't want a nasty looking rig.

Just tossing some ideas around.
It's hard to find the right size for a perfect fit (with more juice).
Leela : ...what are we going to do ?
the Doctor : Should we try using our Intelligence ?
Leela : Well, if you think it's a good idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.
the Doctor : Well, I do talk to myself sometimes, Yes...

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »
Well, the question is whether the a fast MLC card will compensate for whatever the difference in the two types of memory is allowing the data to be written on the SLC flash but not the MLC flash.

There was an indication that the speed of the card could allow a larger data stream:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=93710.msg1836981

Here, when I tested a 133x CF, I found that it could handle the data stream of 16/44.1, but not 24/88.2, which was the maximum that a 400x could handle. Because the data stream of 16/44.1 is 33% of the 24/88.2 data stream, and because 133x is 33% slower than 400x, I was hoping the speed and data streams could scale. If you do the calculation, a 600x card SHOULD handle the DFF data stream. But clearly this assumption is wrong.

To really get down at H2O's theory, ie., that the random write speed dictates the data stream compatibility, we need a way to bench mark the random writes of these cards. I found a utility, but I couldn't correlate the measured speeds with the actual data stream (it depends on the size of data chunks it writes). Anyway, the benchmark would only be good if we could somehow test the cards before purchasing. Otherwise, it is academic at this point.

What counts is whether it works or not.

so this new card will be the fastest tested so far.

but it's MLC not SLC though.
I though we established SLC was need to handle this type datastream @ 1bit.

....at least this will verify if the 92Mb/s write is fast enough in MLC or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm been doing some thinking about modding (cutting out) the back cover to accommodate a taller battery, or 2 batteries stacked.
Someone mentioned something about that.
I've had devices like cellphones and PDA's that I got an extended battery for (w/ a new back cover).
I was thinking something similar. Find a higher capacity cellphone battery and use the supplied cover to extend and protect it.
It would bulge a bit in the back, but it would be worth it if you got 2X the power.
I'm also concerned about what it would look like completed. I don't want a nasty looking rig.

Just tossing some ideas around.
It's hard to find the right size for a perfect fit (with more juice).
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »
Has anyone verified any of this with any KORG people...?
Has there been any clues from them ?
What I mean is, has there been any supporting documentation from KORG,
 or has this all been trial and error ?
Has anyone written to the right dept or person (engineering/ design)
to find out actual tolerances or requirements for writing data @ 1 bit.
Or basically - anything.

Q : What are the specs for the drive currently in the MR1 ?
Since it's a spinning drive, it's random write,
but what speeds does it write at  ?

======================================================================]

I found a nice hard case in my stuff that fits the MR-1 perfectly (w/ some extra storage inside too)
I bought this years ago. It was originally intended for Nintendo DS or GameBoy.
Model # Intec G1860

added > I did some looking and found these >
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intec-G1860-Lite-Safe-Case-NINTENDO-DS-/230456112854?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item35a84136d6
http://www.cymaxstores.com/Intec-G1860-Ds-Lite-Safe-Case.htm?ID=31399&Src=CI&SrcID=3277561&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=31399
http://www.dascheap.com/safe-case-for-ds-dsi.html
http://www.d2delectronics.com/Intec-G1860-Safe-Case/Video-Game/Nintendo-DS/DS-Storage-p5912545.html
http://www.clevershoppers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4804
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:08:24 AM by igene »
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.

Offline david8866

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #273 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:35 AM »
I pre-order a 32gb Duracell 600x CF card from Amazon for about $62. It is supposed to be SLC (SLC NAND flash memory). Honestly, I don't know when it will come; sometimes those pre-orders have wait time more than 4 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Speed-Compact-Flash-DU-CF6032G-C/dp/B004AM6SQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1296714527&sr=8-1

Offline tedyun

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #274 on: February 03, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »
Wow, nice find, if that indeed is a SLC. I would be surprised because the price suggests MLC, but going on the Duracell site, it does say SLC.

Please keep us posted if it works or not!

I pre-order a 32gb Duracell 600x CF card from Amazon for about $62. It is supposed to be SLC (SLC NAND flash memory). Honestly, I don't know when it will come; sometimes those pre-orders have wait time more than 4 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Speed-Compact-Flash-DU-CF6032G-C/dp/B004AM6SQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1296714527&sr=8-1
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #275 on: February 03, 2011, 10:12:02 AM »
Wow.
That's an amazing price for that.
However, what is the write speed ?
All the info on Amazon and Duracell's site make no mention of write speeds.

...from the ad... >

Duracell Pro Photo High Speed CF Memory Card Features

1. Optimized for rapid-fire photo and video
   2. Perfect for the newest digital HD video recorders and DSLR cameras
   3. Finest SLC memory and controllers for years of reliable use in the most demanding conditions
   4. UDMA optimized card-to-computer download speed when used with UDMA camera and card readers
   5. 600x rating gives read speeds up to 90MB/s

I wrote them an email requesting more info.

Great find !

I have noticed that the read speeds are generally higher than the write speeds however.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #276 on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
I got my adapter in the mail today !

I hope there is a general realization that finding a permanent answer for anything involves more than just looking at
possible solutions, but indescrimanantly poking holes thru them and look closely at all the possible problems that arise from those 'solutions'.

nothing personal !

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:34:18 PM by igene »

Offline tedyun

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #277 on: February 04, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
Being a taper by night, scientist by day, I can completely appreciate this statement. I welcome additional minds on this and hope someone else can solve the problem!! You can count on me for full support.

I hope there is a general realization that finding a permanent answer for anything involves more than just looking at
possible solutions, but indescrimanantly poking holes thru them and look closely at all the possible problems that arise from those 'solutions'.

nothing personal !

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »
"Scientist by day"
I like that and i may have to borrow it

OK, so here's a question that may have been covered, but I don't have time to go digging.
I've been taping DSDIFF, and I have a 2.5 hour recording.
ONE of the files, file 4, in this case, just does not want to write.
I can't copy it from the MR1, and when I open the project, that one is just missing.
Surely corrupt, possibly from writing onto a bad sector on the HD, but how do I try to retrieve it, or at least salvage the data and move the file from the MR1?

Thanks!

jb
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2011, 01:39:29 PM »
Sorry about no updates...
I'm trying to make some $$ in YS to buy a HOODMAN CF card

It's not going so well  ::)
This economy BLOWS !!! :(

note: correction HOODMAN not BUSMAN
          I don't know where mind is these days.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:06:00 PM by igene »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
BUSMAN CF card 

What is this.....?  Chris Busman making cards now?
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:09:19 AM by igene »

Offline david8866

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #282 on: February 15, 2011, 02:50:40 AM »
I am Not sure about this, but if anyone would like to try...
Sandisk made 64GB SSD (UATA 5000) for Dell laptop, it is SLC - but, a big BUT - it is set as master, I have no idea whether it will work. Although Dell has excellent return policy, I am not brave enough to try. Just sharing info. Good luck.
By the way, my local computer shop ordered a SLC Super Talent SSD 32 GB for me. It is an old stock and cheaper than new one. Don't be afraid to ask, somewhere, some suppliers still have them in stock.

Offline tedyun

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »
I tried a SanDisk a while back. The form factor of these SSD drives is a bit too thick for the MR1.  I looked at a picture of the UATA 5000 and it looks similar to the one I used (it has a raised round part on the bottom), so I am betting it won't fit.

I am Not sure about this, but if anyone would like to try...
Sandisk made 64GB SSD (UATA 5000) for Dell laptop, it is SLC - but, a big BUT - it is set as master, I have no idea whether it will work. Although Dell has excellent return policy, I am not brave enough to try. Just sharing info. Good luck.
By the way, my local computer shop ordered a SLC Super Talent SSD 32 GB for me. It is an old stock and cheaper than new one. Don't be afraid to ask, somewhere, some suppliers still have them in stock.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
I got my External battery in the mail today.

So now I have :
> External battery (5V/5800maH/12V/3800maH)
> USB power /connector parts (USB w/ sleeve & 1.7mm barrel to ends)
> ZIF to CF adapter

Now I need someone to buy some of my gear in YS,  then I can buy the HOODMAN CF card

I'm waiting till all the parts are together before I  take the MR-1 apart.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com