Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)  (Read 94929 times)

Offline soundsinteresting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
You are probably right, but I have seen reports that people use this as a setup tool for connecting video devices (GH4) so this may have influence on results if not recognized.

Anyway I think I know what is happening now.  ;D

LINEOUT is always a mixed output of all four channels (2 pairs).
SLATE is allways introduced to all 4 channels with same amplitude no matter how many channels enabled.
As pairs are mixed with same SLATE sinus (in phase) slate signal amplitude will be double when 2 channels are added (mixed) together.
it is obvious when you know it, but it did give me some headache.

As signals are routed at the moment there is nothing you can do about it other than set a lower SLATE signal (-6dB).
It would be nice if SLATE signal was only introduced to channels enabled.
I tried to invert phase of one set of channels, but that did not influence LINE output which otherwise would have been zero out if SLATE was inverted:-)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
Has anyone used the DR-70D in a stealth situation w/ external mics? Specifically I'm considering cable options.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »
Has anyone used the DR-70D in a stealth situation w/ external mics? Specifically I'm considering cable options.
Stealthing board patches is tough. Especially if you're gonna stand there with mics too. I would suggest a 2 channel recorder for low-profile applications.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #213 on: March 09, 2016, 04:59:49 PM »
Yeah I don't think this is a good recorder for that application, especially since you'll need external power if using phantom powered mics for over an hour or so.  And if your intended external mics are the CM3s, they may not be the best choice either.  They are super light and tiny, but I find them very sensitive to handling noise and vibration, so they really need proper shock mounts.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I recieved my replacement for the 70D i bought earlier and was kind of DOA.
The replacement came with 1.02 which I updated to 1.13 and set it up, connected a DPA 4066 via microdot to xlr and recorded for 40 minutes.
The 70D recorded perfectly as it should.
After 40 minutes it was barely warmer then the room, compared to the bad one which together with its batteries almost reached 122F/50°C and massively peaked all input channels.

The serial number on the new one was en even 5500X

Anyway I'm happy to have a working recorder at last.

Offline soundsinteresting

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2016, 03:09:51 AM »

Good to hear you are finally up and running with another 70d

Which type of phantom converter are you using with 4066?

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »
I'm using the DAD 6001BC

Good to hear you are finally up and running with another 70d

Which type of phantom converter are you using with 4066?

Offline ballisticsquid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2016, 12:11:01 PM »
I am new here...hi!  I came upon this forum researching issues with the DR-70D recorder.  I recently purchased one and am having trouble.  I bought it based on my great experience for 4 or 5 years with my DR-05 and the great reviews I saw on Amazon and Sweetwater.  Wish I found this thread before I bought it.

I am using mine to record 4 channels out of my mixer when my music duo performs.  The first time out with it, I got a file write error during our 3rd set...and it was lost.  I got a replacement memory card, same one as the original which was a PNY P-SDX128U395-GE (128 GB high speed class 10 card) and got the same problem when I let it sit and record over night.  I use this very same memory card in my Canon HD video recorder with no problems (knock on wood).

Based on the discussion here, I have ordered a card from the approved list from Tascam.  Since I see that others have used the PNY card that I tried, I'm not holding out too much hope.  We'll see.  The card on its way to me is a SansDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB Class 10 card (SDSDXPA-128G-G46).

I wanted to add to this thread what my experience has been.  I will report back my experience with the SansDisk card.

If this recorder doesn't pan out, I'll be getting a Zoom H6 to replace it.  It will do what I want, though the form factor isn't ideal for me.  I will make it work if I have to.

My setup is I am recording 4 channels to mono files at 16bit/44.1kHz.  I am using line level inputs using TRS cables.  I am feeding it line level signals coming from the direct outs on my mixer for each channel.  I am powering via USB and have batteries installed.  I am running the latest version of firmware available from Tascam's website.  I also formatted the card (the option that takes longer...not the "quick format").
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:21:43 PM by ballisticsquid »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2016, 05:59:11 PM »
Welcome, ballisticsquid.....you came to the right place.  Lots of good people, lots of help here.

There is a card formatting process you should do that has been reported to help.

capn
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline ballisticsquid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  From reading other threads it looks like a great forum.

would you be so kind as to point me to the formatting procedure that might help?
Thanks!!

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  From reading other threads it looks like a great forum.

would you be so kind as to point me to the formatting procedure that might help?
Thanks!!

I don't own one.

Someone will be by in a minute..... :alert:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »
I am new here...hi!  I came upon this forum researching issues with the DR-70D recorder.  I recently purchased one and am having trouble.  I bought it based on my great experience for 4 or 5 years with my DR-05 and the great reviews I saw on Amazon and Sweetwater.  Wish I found this thread before I bought it.

I am using mine to record 4 channels out of my mixer when my music duo performs.  The first time out with it, I got a file write error during our 3rd set...and it was lost.  I got a replacement memory card, same one as the original which was a PNY P-SDX128U395-GE (128 GB high speed class 10 card) and got the same problem when I let it sit and record over night.  I use this very same memory card in my Canon HD video recorder with no problems (knock on wood).

Based on the discussion here, I have ordered a card from the approved list from Tascam.  Since I see that others have used the PNY card that I tried, I'm not holding out too much hope.  We'll see.  The card on its way to me is a SansDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB Class 10 card (SDSDXPA-128G-G46).

I wanted to add to this thread what my experience has been.  I will report back my experience with the SansDisk card.

If this recorder doesn't pan out, I'll be getting a Zoom H6 to replace it.  It will do what I want, though the form factor isn't ideal for me.  I will make it work if I have to.

My setup is I am recording 4 channels to mono files at 16bit/44.1kHz.  I am using line level inputs using TRS cables.  I am feeding it line level signals coming from the direct outs on my mixer for each channel.  I am powering via USB and have batteries installed.  I am running the latest version of firmware available from Tascam's website.  I also formatted the card (the option that takes longer...not the "quick format").

Welcome to TS!  About your questions with the DR-70D:

Yes, it's picky with cards.  Much hay has been made about that here, and we've never received a definitive answer from Tascam as to why, and probably never will.  Long story short, some of us have had good luck with cards not on the recommended media list, while others do not.  Cards that are on the list should be OK.

About the "formatting procedure", I think capnhook was referring to what I and a few others did to straighten out cards that got their filesystem borked in the 70D.  This involves mounting the card in your PC and using the official SD Association Formatter and running a FULL (Over Write) format.  Here's a link to it as well as some other flash memory utilities.

Beyond that, it sounds like you were doing the right thing and using the Erase / Full Format, but if the card is simply not compatible, it may not matter.  Hopefully you have better results with the SanDisk.  FWIW, I don't know if anyone here has successfully used a 128GB PNY with the 70D, but I seem to remember a couple people did have good luck with the 64GB size.

There's a link in my signature to an FAQ for the 70D, and among other things there is an SD Card survey you might be interested in.

Last point - I would encourage you to stick with the 70D if possible vs. the H6.  Having used both, I think it's a much better unit overall, especially the quality of the built-in preamps.

- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ballisticsquid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:39 PM »
Thanks Voltronic!

My DR-05 has been nothing but reliable for the many years I've had it (got it when it first came out), so I was surprised to run into issues with this.

The form factor of the DR-70D is perfect for me, so I wasn't relishing moving to the Zoom H6.  I'm not using the preamps, but I like the build and usability of the DR-70D.

Anyway, the new memory card arrived today and I managed to record 3 and a half hours straight with no trouble.  That's the longest I've gone so far.  So I've now set it to record overnight.  If tomorrow morning it is still happily recording away, I will be satisfied.  I'll report back on that outcome, but I am hesitantly optimistic at this point.

Here you can see why the form factor of this works best for me.  When it's worked, it's been a fantastic setup.  I'm surprised that Tascam only markets this towards the DSLR crowd.

Offline ballisticsquid

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
So my overnight recording test was successful.  I recorded over 7 hours with no trouble.  I couldn't get past about 3 before.  At times it would crap out before an hour.  So the recommended card took care of the problem.

So beware of the PNY P-SDX128U395-GE  card.  2 of them did NOT work for me. 

It was a little more expensive, but at least it worked.  I am successful with the SansDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB Class 10 card (SDSDXPA-128G-G46).

Offline voltronic

« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
My latest 70D recording here, with a balcony "Faulkner II" array direct into the recorder: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176324.msg2180991#msg2180991
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com