Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Very low-profile (3.4 mm) stereo snake  (Read 8397 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: Very low-profile (3.4 mm) stereo snake
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 07:03:41 PM »
I'm pondering a 4 channel 100' snake, and have a few questions:

1. Any rf/interference/other reason not to put 2 runs of the Sommer in a piece of tecflex for 100'?
2. Any reason to use fan outs rather than 4 xlrs on each end?
3. My Weller station is failing, anyone have a soldering iron recc?
4. Solder supply is 20-30 years old, any improvements since?
5. Looking at the Switchcraft plastic stubbies for low weight, any good?

TIA, Chris
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 07:24:00 PM »
1. Any rf/interference/other reason not to put 2 runs of the Sommer in a piece of tecflex for 100'?
Absolutely no reason you'd have a problem. But if you're making a 4-channel snake, this is a better solution:
https://www.redco.com/Redco-TGS-04.html

FYI, it's the same stuff as the Mogami snake cable but with a different outer jacket that I prefer. Also cheaper!

2. Any reason to use fan outs rather than 4 xlrs on each end?
If you were using the Sommer Cicada, the conductors are only 26ga and even if you shrink each pair going to each XLR, it wouldn't be that durable. Famous like I did are the only way for this cable, IMO.

But like I said, use the Redco / Mogami snake cable for this instead of the Sommer cable. It will be simpler, cheaper, and more rugged.

3. My Weller station is failing, anyone have a soldering iron recc?
Pinecil all the way. It's a TS100 style, but with the better firmware already installed.
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=198135.msg2366169

4. Solder supply is 20-30 years old, any improvements since?
I haven't been soldering that long, but I always buy Kester.

5. Looking at the Switchcraft plastic stubbies for low weight, any good?
No, they are definitely lower quality as reported here and on JWSound.

You use stubbies for space and/or angle exit reasons. The weight difference is negligible. The plastic Neutrik chuck and boot assembly are very light.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline BlueSky71

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 12:26:01 PM »
I just  used a set of these (male) for a cable build with mogami 3031. I opted to use mogami as opposed to  the redco stuff for a couple reasons, mostly because I wanted to try these connectors and was ordering from here at that point, and also because I was already familiar with it. I also needed to fit 2 single pair runs into a single 5 pin XLR, and didn't want to deal with breaking it out on the other end to 3 pin. I found the connectors to be very good. as the review says on the page now, there are 3 compression sleeves that come with the connector for various wire gauges. I my circumstance, I was using a very small cable and had to use some heatshrink to build up the OD to use the strain relief collar correctly. I meant to post some pictures, I will get to it. Meanwhile, a strong recommendation on them from me.

https://www.performanceaudio.com/squareplug-spxf-low-profile-true-heavy-duty-3-pin-female-xlr-connector-black.html

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Online voltronic

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 08:01:51 AM »
Thanks for all the great info!

If I go with the Redco, any need for techflex?

The Pinecil you linked to is out of stock, how about this option: https://campaign.aliexpress.com/wow/gcp/tesla-pc-new/index?UTABTest=aliabtest377151_530968&_randl_currency=USD&_randl_shipto=US&src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=19108282527&albag=&trgt=&crea=en3256804217353995&netw=x&device=c&albpg=&albpd=en3256804217353995&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgOefBhDgARIsAMhqXA6dTRbiVAN4y5bWTFjnBD7_B-M3bofPn2D90f79vg_gMnx_90vRO8waAveAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=44975c2519fe47fda19b61ab2d9572e4-1677346857533-06164-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=44975c2519fe47fda19b61ab2d9572e4-1677346857533-06164-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=b3d098162dfe4e8da108ccc88c8420d4&wh_weex=true&wx_navbar_hidden=true&wx_navbar_transparent=true&ignoreNavigationBar=true&wx_statusbar_hidden=true&bt_src=ppc_direct_lp&scenario=pcBridgePPC&productId=3256804217353995&OLP=1085100208_f_group2&o_s_id=1085100208

Appreciate the heads-up on the plastic connectors.

I wouldn't trust any of those - the prices are suspiciously low. I would get a TS100 from a reputable dealer and then install IronOS on it.

Pine64 says restocking should be soon. If you're willing to wait a bit you can save some money over the TS100.

Don't forget that you'll need a USB-C PD power supply that can output at least 30W, along with a cable that can supply it. I got the red silicone cable sold on the Pine website, but from this store:

https://ameridroid.com/products/usb-type-c-to-usb-type-c-silicone-power-charging-cable
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 08:04:17 AM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2023, 08:05:02 AM »
I just  used a set of these (male) for a cable build with mogami 3031. I opted to use mogami as opposed to  the redco stuff for a couple reasons, mostly because I wanted to try these connectors and was ordering from here at that point, and also because I was already familiar with it. I also needed to fit 2 single pair runs into a single 5 pin XLR, and didn't want to deal with breaking it out on the other end to 3 pin. I found the connectors to be very good. as the review says on the page now, there are 3 compression sleeves that come with the connector for various wire gauges. I my circumstance, I was using a very small cable and had to use some heatshrink to build up the OD to use the strain relief collar correctly. I meant to post some pictures, I will get to it. Meanwhile, a strong recommendation on them from me.

https://www.performanceaudio.com/squareplug-spxf-low-profile-true-heavy-duty-3-pin-female-xlr-connector-black.html

I had been considering these for my next cable build. Very interested in pictures when you get a chance.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline BlueSky71

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 11:21:33 AM »
Here we go. So the strain relief collars are for 5,6, and 7 mm cables. I measured what I have done with calipers today, mine is 4.2 with the heatsrink. it seems like it will do the job, but I am not sure long term. I usually run 2 sources, so if I do have a failure I will be ok. Sure I will add another layer of heat shrink before long.

Online voltronic

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2023, 01:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the pics and build details.

Do you feel the overall quality of the connectors are on par with Neutrik?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline BlueSky71

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 01:37:54 PM »

I meant to mention that.They are very heavy duty. I would say they weigh more than a standard XLR as well, as the screw on cap is solid. It also helps to compress the strain relief piece. They fit my F6 and F3 perfectly. I have one set of male XLR's that are actually slightly to big to fit them correctly if you are in a hurry...so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, I did not order the color coded screws, but i would hve if I figured it out before placing my order.

Online voltronic

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2023, 08:41:07 PM »

I meant to mention that.They are very heavy duty. I would say they weigh more than a standard XLR as well, as the screw on cap is solid. It also helps to compress the strain relief piece. They fit my F6 and F3 perfectly. I have one set of male XLR's that are actually slightly to big to fit them correctly if you are in a hurry...so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, I did not order the color coded screws, but i would hve if I figured it out before placing my order.

I think you sold me - I'll try them the best time I have cables to build. Thanks again.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2023, 03:51:47 PM »
Anyone try an audio over CAT5 snake solution?

Referring to analog over shielded CAT5/e/6/7 Ethernet cable, with a detachable fan-out or conn box at each end.  Gets especially attractive for longer snakes, and the modular detachable breakouts at each end are attractive.  As I understand it a single CAT5 cable can support 4 balanced lines with phantom power.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online voltronic

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2023, 07:34:12 PM »
Anyone try an audio over CAT5 snake solution?

Referring to analog over shielded CAT5/e/6/7 Ethernet cable, with a detachable fan-out or conn box at each end.  Gets especially attractive for longer snakes, and the modular detachable breakouts at each end are attractive.  As I understand it a single CAT5 cable can support 4 balanced lines with phantom power.

There are few people on GS Remote who use these. Maybe @tourtelot?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com