Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

HOW DO I CHOOSE A SOUNDCARD?

(1/2) > >>

porphyry:
Ok I'm a newbie with a genuine question. So listen up.

This is a question about SOUNDCARDS.

Having already 'taped' three concerts (ok I didn't really tape them, I used a minidisc recorder, which I don't really understand why you hardcore people shun but anyway...) I am now faced with the problem of making a perfect, exact, BIT FOR BIT digital copy of these minidiscs so that they may be burnt onto CD-R (obviously after some editing).

Now I understand that the cheapest soundcard with digital optical-in does not make a perfect bit for bit copy (although I don't understand why).

What I'd like to know is what's wrong with a soundcard like the Creative Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2? It isn't cheap but it claims to be able to make bit-for-bit copies as good as any professional equipment. Why do you tapers insist on much more expensive soundcards by manufacturers I've never heard of? I'm not having a go at you or anything, I'm just curious as to how you decide what is a worthwhile soundcard, and what isn't.

[AND REMEMBER all I'm concerned about is making a digital copy as close to the original, other issues like the DAC, whether it does 5.1 or 6.1 channel sound, how many ins/outs it has etc. etc. aren't relevant.]

mirth:
Which thread do you want people to reply to, this one or the topic under Computer Recording?

porphyry:
well... i want as much advice as i can get... does it matter?

mirth:
It'll just lend to confusion, thats all.

I already added my part to the other thread.

porphyry:
fine... i'll remove it from here and just leave the one in the computer recording section...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version