Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

powering inverter off 12v SLA

(1/3) > >>

replay:
Well i've looked all around (valence, powerpad, etc) & it looks like i can't find anything compatible with my laptop to power for over 2.5-3hrs in the field.  So what i was thinking of doing is to get an inverter & power it off of a 12 volt SLA.  I haven't seen anyone talk of this so my question is, will it work.  2ndly, if in theory it should work.  Should i just hack off the cigarette lighter & wire on a 4 pin xlr to hook it up to the SLA?  Or should i get a female conterpart for the cigarette lighter from RS & wire it to the SLA?  Thanks for any help.  

dklein:
Ya might want to check out the power requirements of your laptop AC adapter.  These switching power supplies can deliver huge current and might require a heavy duty inverter, big ass SLA and reasonable gauge wiring (I think my Dell AC adapter can draw 4.5 Amps of current).

It's may be kind of inefficient to go DC>AC>DC, generating heat and noise along the way.  Do you know the input/output specs of your AC adapter?

replay:
ya, i thought it would be rather inefficiant, but seems to be my only option for prolong power.  It's 1.5A 50-60hz input & 19v 2.64a output.  & it is a dell.  

dklein:
Just confirm that the output is DC (I think they all are but never assume...)  
Then take a meter to it to see if it's actually higher than the 19v stamped on the box.  You could probably run 2 x 12v in without a problem.  Or 3 x 6v would get you there as well - there's usually some room to play with.  Now, to find one of the funky connectors...it really depends which model you've got.

david

replay:
It is DC output.  The connector is one of those funky square plugs which i'm sure i can get through Dell's website.  Just so i'm reading your post right.  Your saying to run either 2x12v or 3x6v in parallel to get the voltage close to 19v.  If that's right, wouldn't i need some kind of voltage translator to get the signal down from 24v to 19v?  I don't have  a meter to test the actual voltage but will try & get it tested.  the actual plug looks like it has a voltage translator right before the rectangular plug to the laptop.  So i'm assuming it is actually higher than 19v.  thanks for the input.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version