Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How far back is too far?  (Read 27190 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:How far back is too far?
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2003, 03:11:51 PM »
some of the funniest shit I have ever seen in the section.. at least as far as dealings with sober people go!

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2003, 03:45:17 PM »
Good day today... Scored tickets to the albany NCAA regional... GO CUSE and one of my room mates has 2 12th row tickets for SPAC night one that he wants to get rid of

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2003, 04:15:21 PM »
wtf.....chocolate for a blank DAT?????   8)
nah, i don't want any chocolate....
but dude, it's not really just chocolate....
lol......
dave

you guys are just plain BAD!  remind me to be on my guard whenever we hook up!  hehe...  ;)  

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2003, 04:20:41 PM »
Tim-
Thanks for your addition to my post about sound at head height when using line array sound systems!  
Most of you will know that the sound difference whether you are 5'8 or 6'2 really isn't going to make that big of a difference whether you are your ears or mics.  Now, whether or not you have your mics at 6'6 or 9'6, that's what's going to make a difference, no matter how far away.  You just don;t want to overshoot the stacks!

Mini-Me update....if you look for it, you will find it!

PHiL
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2003, 04:25:24 PM »
haha....scott, definitely looking forward to hooking up at alpine!!!
tim will be there too!!!!  we'll be nice....   ;)
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2003, 05:59:40 PM »
Tim-
Thanks for your addition to my post about sound at head height when using line array sound systems!  
Most of you will know that the sound difference whether you are 5'8 or 6'2 really isn't going to make that big of a difference whether you are your ears or mics.  Now, whether or not you have your mics at 6'6 or 9'6, that's what's going to make a difference, no matter how far away.  You just don;t want to overshoot the stacks!

Mini-Me update....if you look for it, you will find it!

PHiL

sorry Phil, but your theory is just that.  theory.  

differences in SPL are MUCH more noticable along the horizontal plane than the vertical IMHO.  proximity to Source is also of utmost importance.  to your way of thinking, there is no need to search out the 'sweet spot' in a given Venue, as the 'sweet spot' is anywhere in the Venue at head height.

sorry, i'm not buying it.

this theory looks real nice on paper.  but unfortunately, most touring bands do not have the time/ money to worry about such things.  these stacks are bolted/ chained together the same way, hung in the same array from night to night, city to city, and Venue to Venue.  the stacks are hung, the cables are run, and the rest of the tweaking is done through the mixing console.

it would be nice if sound systems/ engineers worked the way you describe.  but until the day they do, i'll let you have the rear of the Venue at 6'6", and i'll be alongside the other tapers pulling the phatty tapes from the 'sweet spot'.

send ya a copy.  ;)

peace

~S

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2003, 06:07:10 PM »
quick question guys the friend i was getting my d100 from decided that he still needed it, so would it be my best bet to go new or used for my dat?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2003, 06:09:31 PM »
I think new is always the best way to go with DAT if you have the money to spare.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2003, 06:11:56 PM »
FWIW, a good friend of mine is a professional sound engineer (he designs bigass sound rigs, think Browns Stadium and Tiger Stadium and the like, all the way down to small clubs).  His $.02 about line arrays is that he will design them to "box" a venue with sound.  That means he'll box the entire venue, front to back, as best as possible.  

« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 06:13:18 PM by ducati »

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2003, 06:12:12 PM »
Scott-
You must be having a bad day!  :'(
Everyone else knows that if your stand is too high, it will not sound good...even in the sweet spot!  
I love the sweet spot as much as the next person, but systems that WSP and SCI have are line-array systems which is supposed to sound good everywhere in the room.  Believe me, I know that there are sections that sound better than others..ie the soundboard and taperssection.  I am not blanketing a statement, I know what i am talking about and i think that when reading this post, you are the only one who disagrees with the fact that if you are too high up, it doesn;t sound as good!  
I'll send you my vegas tapes and cheese fromthe fillmore that were at 7 ft and let me know how they sound....oh yeah, do FOBers run at 6ft b/c it sounds better at "head height" or b/c they are worried of being caught?  Im gonna guess both!
Equalizing the sound throughout the room also means make it sound good where people's heads are.
So if your stand falls within the 7-9 ft height why argue with my "theory"?
Phil

email me if you would like to chat more b/c i dont think people want to read this anymore
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2003, 06:17:58 PM »
if i was just starting out now, i wouldn't buy a DAT at all.  have you checked into the Nomad JB3?  HD recorder and lightning quick transfer to computer.  check into:

http://nomadworld.com/

hope this helps...

~S

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2003, 06:20:23 PM »
I run a NJB3 and love the thing...  I'll second that.

If it were 24/96, I'd never get rid of it.  But as a DAT replacement, I'm loving it.

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2003, 06:26:45 PM »
doesnt that nomad tape as mp3s? and would that mean a lossy form? if not what is the price on one of those

DaryanLenz

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2003, 06:39:20 PM »
Nomad records in mp3 or wav format, and can be had for 250 on ebay, and about the same from various retailers.  I payed 215 for mine off of ebay, brand new in box, with an additional battery.  I will tell you, they usually are ~250 bucks.

Daryan

Screw a new DAT, get the JB3

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2003, 06:41:56 PM »
Nomad records in mp3 or wav format, and can be had for 250 on ebay, and about the same from various retailers.  I payed 215 for mine off of ebay, brand new in box, with an additional battery.  I will tell you, they usually are ~250 bucks.

Daryan

Screw a new DAT, get the JB3

so there is an option to record in wav? and this means that there is no loss?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com