Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

miniDSP AmbiMIK-1 Ambisonic Mic

<< < (9/9)

voltronic:

--- Quote from: WiFiJeff on August 29, 2020, 03:10:00 PM ---The reason I have been playing around with the dedicated new ZR-1 recorder (which connects to the 19 channel ZM-1 mic also by USB connection) is that the dedicated Windows 10 micro-computer I was using, the Ockel Sirius A Pro, is fanless and deals with excess heat by slowing down processing speed.  Usually this has not been a problem, but once or twice it seems to have been the root of a recording error.  The slightly larger Chuwi Microbook I tried has a fan which is a bit too noisy.  Using a bigger, more capable, laptop is no advantage over the dedicated recorder for portability.  My problems do not seem in any way USB related, as far as I can tell.

Jeff

--- End quote ---

IMHO, you need to get away from systems like that if you want quiet paired with solid performance.

I have been a quiet PC building enthusiast for many years now, back when it was relatively difficult to do so.  Now, you can make yourself something that is vanishingly quiet until it is under heavy load.  You start with a quality case that has thick, well-damped panels, and add large, low-RPM fans.  Then it's a matter of using a large CPU cooler with a large fan, and you can then set all of your power-saving settings in Windows to "high performance".

Here is my current system.  The video card fans and PSU fan stay off until there is heavy load, and the system and CPU fans are extremely quiet, staying under 500 RPM at low load.

FYI, I do NOT recommend liquid cooling.  Besides all of the hassle with those setups, they often require more fans than air cooling in order to get good flow through the radiator.  More importantly, the best air CPU coolers (Scythe, Noctua, etc.) actually outperform most liquid setups now.

fotoralf.be:
I haven't been using Windows for the last two decades. Is there still the eternal fight for taming interrupts and the dark deamons in the underworld of the registry to get things running without hickups and conflicts?

Ralf

voltronic:

--- Quote from: fotoralf.be on August 30, 2020, 08:52:34 AM ---I haven't been using Windows for the last two decades. Is there still the eternal fight for taming interrupts and the dark deamons in the underworld of the registry to get things running without hickups and conflicts?

Ralf

--- End quote ---

Ha!  I remember those days.  I used to be a PC repair tech 20-25 years ago, and I had IRQ numbers and memory addresses memorized for common ports and hardware.

Thankfully, those days are long over.  No more manually resolving IRQ conflicts, and I rarely delve into the registry unless there is a very unique case.  Today, Windows "just works" for the most part, as the Mac ads used to say.  Actually, it tends to be a better choice than Mac for things like music production nowadays, as some of the most recent OSX updates have rendered some popular pro audio apps unusable, because of breaking the audio subsystem, removing 32-bit app capability, and such.

The biggest point against Windows 10 is that it is quite invasive of user privacy by default.  Fortunately, they have made it easier to disable most of that telemetry in recent versions.  I also run this on all of my systems to get rid of a lot of the pre-installed crap I don't use.
https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

fotoralf.be:

--- Quote from: voltronic on August 30, 2020, 01:13:33 PM ---Actually, it tends to be a better choice than Mac for things like music production nowadays, as some of the most recent OSX updates have rendered some popular pro audio apps unusable, because of breaking the audio subsystem, removing 32-bit app capability, and such.
--- End quote ---

*sigh*

I know. I'll be stuck with Mojave for years to come because I'm not ready to discard perfectly functioning hardware like my MOTU traveler Mk3.

Ralf

voltronic:

--- Quote from: fotoralf.be on August 30, 2020, 04:06:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: voltronic on August 30, 2020, 01:13:33 PM ---Actually, it tends to be a better choice than Mac for things like music production nowadays, as some of the most recent OSX updates have rendered some popular pro audio apps unusable, because of breaking the audio subsystem, removing 32-bit app capability, and such.
--- End quote ---

*sigh*

I know. I'll be stuck with Mojave for years to come because I'm not ready to discard perfectly functioning hardware like my MOTU traveler Mk3.

Ralf

--- End quote ---

It's really sad to see.  Apple used to be the platform for content creators.  Now it seems they no longer care about that segment of their user base.  The best way out from a customer standpoint would be if Apple stopped making desktops and laptops, and went 100% in on iOS devices.  Then, they could sell or license OSX to hardware companies who could build dedicated systems. 

Of course, this will never happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version