Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Record player/turntable  (Read 5293 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
TSKB: Record player/turntable
« on: February 22, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
So, I haven't played vinyl in maybe 20 years nor owned a record player in as long.  Need a decent player (preferrebly used for cost factor) for transfer purposes and to have for myself (wanting to start a vinyl collection).  Budget is around 200.  Thoughts, references, brand, model, selling yours, etc.  I have no knowledge on this subject. 

edit to add:  Thanks for the topic move, Brian.  Wasn't sure which place to put this.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:21:00 PM by stirinthesauce »

stirinthesauce

Re: TSKB: Record player/turntable
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:28:39 PM »
ok, I'm a sucker for vintage gear.  Love the "british" sound, nice and warm.  Any thoughts on restored vintage turntables?  Specifically, this one. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COLLARO-TURNTABLE-RECORD-PLAYER-45-78-33-LP-NR_W0QQitemZ250216633694QQihZ015QQcategoryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:45:04 PM »
ok, I'm a sucker for vintage gear.  Love the "british" sound, nice and warm.  Any thoughts on restored vintage turntables?  Specifically, this one. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COLLARO-TURNTABLE-RECORD-PLAYER-45-78-33-LP-NR_W0QQitemZ250216633694QQihZ015QQcategoryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Wow that looks cool

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:45:36 PM »
I'd say your top picks are going to be the Rega P1 (Chris Sheppard may still be able to hook you up with a deal on this) MSRP should be $349, a little outside your range.

In vintage, you should be able to find some nice Thorens out there... I had a dual 1218 which was nice, but eventually crapped out with some of it's auto functions.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
Oh one thing with TT's, most motors are speed controlled based on the oscillations of your AC, since the US uses 60hz power, TT's that were made in the UK for use in the UK are setup to run on 50hz power you'll need to  tweak the TT to run at the proper speed (replacing a spindle that turns the belt... not always super easy to find the proper parts)... Just ensure you're getting a model made for use in the US and you'll be fine.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:00:17 PM »
Rega is definitely the best place to start and if you're into the british thing then you can't go wrong.  Apparently the P1 is a great table but the P3 or Planar 3 used would be great if you can stretch it a bit.  I still miss my Planar 3 somedays, it just sounded so right...

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »
I would look for a used Thorens 160, bomb proof, fully upgradeable & a good investment.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys  :)

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »
all good suggestions!  If you HAVE to go cheap, Dennon makes a couple of really decent entry level units.  Personally i think the P1 is the best bang for your buck player out there but at 70% over budget you may want to look elsewhere.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
Bump. 

Looking for suggestions on a decent but nothing fancy turntable.  Doesn’t have to mix my drinks for me but something better than the stick with rose thorn attached I currently have.  I’ve got a poor man’s Frankenstein stereo consisting of Onkyo receiver>multiple
Klipsch & JBL speakers.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  :headphones:

Offline wvmaine

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive.org
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 07:13:50 AM »
I recently  acquired  a Fluance turntable for around $300 and am very happy with it. It might be worth checking their  line of turntables. They have a good variety.  Well made and have a modern style to them.
https://www.fluance.com/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:39:13 PM by wvmaine »
Mics: Neumann SKM 184, AKG C1000
Pre Amps: Naiant Big Box & Little Box, Blue Tube DP
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4n, Zoom F4

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »
Bump. 

Looking for suggestions on a decent but nothing fancy turntable.  Doesn’t have to mix my drinks for me but something better than the stick with rose thorn attached I currently have.  I’ve got a poor man’s Frankenstein stereo consisting of Onkyo receiver>multiple
Klipsch & JBL speakers.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  :headphones:

I have a Project Debut Carbon that's about 6 or 7 years old and it's pretty nice. Uturn tables came out after I bought and Rega tables are also pretty affordable relatively speaking.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com