Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices 7xx battery charging  (Read 2184 times)

Offline jbw

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices 7xx battery charging
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »
Hey all,

I just got a 722 today and had a question. In the manual it says the unit can charge the batteries if connected to the unit with the power adapter also connected.

Does the unit have to be powered on to charge the battery? Or can I simply just plug the adapter into the wall while the unit is powered down to charge up the battery?

Thanks for the help!
Lots of Mics
Sound Devices 722

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sound Devices 7xx battery charging
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
it can either be on or off. The yellow light in the top right corner flashes while charging and stays lit once it's reached full charge.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jbw

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
it can either be on or off. The yellow light in the top right corner flashes while charging and stays lit once it's reached full charge.

Thanks a ton! I didnt see it flashing when the unit was off.
Lots of Mics
Sound Devices 722

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 01:17:36 AM »
It depends on how the 4-pin connector going into the 7xx is wired. Standard wiring from the factory will charge the battery regardless of if the 7xx is on or off. It can be wired so that the battery is only charged when the unit is on. ( Not sure if this is true for the 788, check the manual ) .

Charging is indicated by the blinking yellow light. It should generally only blink once every few seconds when charging. If you see two, three, four or five blinks separated by an  interval it indicates some kind of problem. I believe different hardware versions of the unit might be slightly different in that respect as the meanings are no longer described in the manual. Additionally there is a standard rechargeable AA NiMh battery inside the unit to power the time of day clock. After a few years time this might need to be exchanged, if the unit asks for time of day every time it is started. No hurry though, if it works it works and the unit will keep on recording regardless.

// Gunnar

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »
The 788 uses only pins 1 & 4 of the 4-pin Hirose power connector.  Charger operation is menu controlled (menu item 90) and can be set to never charge, charge when unit is on, charge when unit is off, or always charge.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com