Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA4011 Cap Question  (Read 406 times)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DPA4011 Cap Question
« on: May 30, 2024, 10:06:38 AM »
Yesterday first time I wanted to switch out my DPA4011 caps with the DPA4015 caps after I had sent in my old 4021 and 4027 pairs for modular conversion about 2 years ago now. When I unscrewed one DPA4011 cap and tried to put it on the active cables that the DPA4015 were on one would not fit. The sizes are not the same. Not sure if part of the DPA4011 became detached from the cap and was threaded on the active cable end. (see photo) The other DPA4011 cap works when I put it on the active cable that the 4015 were on.

Any ideas/Comments on what happened here and how do I fix it?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 10:34:55 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: DPA4011 Cap Question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 10:18:33 AM »
Looks like part of the cap is still thread to the MMP cable! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 10:30:19 AM »
Thanks Jbell for the response. It is appreciated.

How would I take that out without damage the threads?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 11:02:58 AM »
I would send them to DPA looks like it needs repair service.  You might be able to unscrew the missing piece, but I'm guessing you would have the same issue when you attach it to the MMP cables again.

Thanks Jbell for the response. It is appreciated.

How would I take that out without damage the threads?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 06:40:01 PM »
That’s unusual they’re usually tighter than hell. Just unscrew the base from your active. You should be able to grip it if not wrap a shoelace around it and torque it like a tourniquet with a pencil kinda like an improvised strap wrench you would change your oil filter with, there is a small hole that can be used to tighten it although you’d have to kind of fabricate a tool I would just screw it on and maybe use a (very) little bit of Loctite, and don’t screw the cap so tight to the MMP cables next time

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 06:33:29 AM »
Thank you Jbell again and breakonthru for your responses.

Thought about using a visegrip with cloth wrapped around the piece that is stuck though that might damage the threads. Live less then 20 miles from DPA longmont so if I can not get it to unscrew the way breakonthru suggested then will take it to them. Did not think I tightened them down that much.

Thanks again!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2024, 09:44:05 AM »
You could do it yourself as breakonthru mentions, but if close to Longmont best to just take it to DPA.  They will have a tool that fits into the too little holes/slots if the front face of the adapter for loosening/tightening it, so as not to damage the threads, and will probably put a dab of the correct thread-locking compound on there (not too weak, not too permanent) to keep it from loosening.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2024, 09:44:12 AM »
Took breakonthru suggestion and used a  "lid grip" and twisted as hard as I could and the stuck piece came off. YEA!!!

Saw the small hole though not sure I would want to try and tighten that with that pin sticking out and so easy to bend.

Thanks again.

Tapersection is a special place. Really appreciate it.

===========================================================================
Update:

Think you guys are right should take it to DPA longmont and have it fixed correctly.  Its only a 20 minute drive one way and have to go there next week for a medical appointment anyway.

Will call DPA lonmont when they open at 8am.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 09:49:17 AM by phil_er_up »

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 10:00:58 AM »
I’ll be interested to see if they actually have the tool and can and/or will do it for you in Longmont. While I’ve had good experiences with them in the past, I’ve  heard nothing but bad things about their service recently and anything at all in the pencil mic series seems to get sent to Denmark. This could be the default workflow because they don’t have the testing equipment or expertise to service the large capsules at all, but perhaps they have this tool and someone who will take responsibility locally.

TBH if you can now screw it onto your mmp without it breaking loose it’s already fixed, and if not a VERY tiny amount of loctite would do it. Like a fraction of a drop.

I took a capsule apart for the fun of it one time but yes, most of them are super tight. I do know people with the older style compact that would switch capsules from cable to cable. They all have that thread on the right without the new modern insert they use for modular use.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:38:01 AM by breakonthru »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2024, 01:01:48 PM »
The tool needed is not overly specialized, but a typical machine-shop type thing.  A search for"two hole fastener wrench" will bring them up.  Needs to be the right size of course.

Locktite brand thread locking compound comes in various strengths.  Don't use Locktite "Red" as that one is high strength and requires the application of heat to disassemble the part without destroying it. This web-page explains the different formulations - https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/insights/all-insights/blog/difference-between-threadlockers.html/1000.html
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2024, 02:04:54 PM »
thats good lingo i never knew the name of it, though i have several for miter saws, grinders, etc.

Offline phil_er_up

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:11:02 AM »
On Friday called DPA around 9AM. No one answered and left a message. Did not hear back on Friday.

Been to DPA longmont for over a decade. Customer service has changed over that time. The old person who did customer service was very good at helping us and getting things done. New person is not the same type of customer service person. They have told me at DPA longmont that they do not really have many tools or able to service many items there.  Looks to be really a shipping office. Though they have given me DPA items for free like T-shirts, hats and hoodies.

Will update back when I hear something...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com