Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie here, wanna start taping but don't know where to start.  (Read 15523 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Newbie here, wanna start taping but don't know where to start.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
Maybe go on Live Music Archive and listen to a bunch of different recordings and put together some things you like about certain rigs/mics/recordings. You can put together a real recording rig for $500. Sometimes the advice on here can be a little iffy.

Lots of stuff also posted on Kickdown Central thread on here too.  Pay specific attention to the type of music you plan to tape, the type of venue i.e. club, theater, arena, festival,  location AND mics and whether it is stealth or open taping.  You wi ll find what you like best and then reconcile with cost.  For me there are some mics I like and some (internal mics for example) that I do not like and typically just ignore. 

Also,  if purchasing on yard sale most folks selling gear are good folks but there have been a few bad apples that need to be avoided.  Feel free to reach out to others to inquire since there is general agreement on the bad apples.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »
Expensive Mikes=Better Recording.

nahhhhhh

Ideal location + mics that are sufficient for the task at hand (regardless of whether they are expensive) and properly set up = best recording
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline TheMysticMuse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 11:49:47 AM »
Allow me to offer a slightly different perspective.  You don't need an M10.  Not only are they no longer available to purchase new, they seem to sell for more than other competent handheld recorders.  Your money is better spent on mics.  Get a recorder that will do the job for you, but the M10 isn't the only answer there.  Plenty of other recorders will be plenty fine (if I were in the market now I'd be very seriously considering the Roland R-07 which can be found for good prices and seems to be more than adequate as an M10 replacement (it even offers some features that the M10 doesn't).  There are of course even more options, but it's easy to get the impression in this forum that the M10 is the be-all-end-all in handhelds.

My recommendation would be AT853 mics with the 4.7k (aka low sensitivity) mod.  Add a simple battery box and you're in business.  I want to say that someone even had success with the low sensitivity AT853s direct into an R-07 at a loud show (Primus, maybe?), so it's possible you could get away with no battery box...or at least give it a shot.

Thanks for our advice. I will buy the Roland R-07 tomorrow, I've heard it's good for it's price and people have sent me private msgs here and recommendet it, it's also available in my city so this is great. I don't know what you mean with "the 4.7k mod". What is this? If I buy the AT853 mic I would need a batttery box right, or is the r-07 enough?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »
Allow me to offer a slightly different perspective.  You don't need an M10.  Not only are they no longer available to purchase new, they seem to sell for more than other competent handheld recorders.  Your money is better spent on mics.  Get a recorder that will do the job for you, but the M10 isn't the only answer there.  Plenty of other recorders will be plenty fine (if I were in the market now I'd be very seriously considering the Roland R-07 which can be found for good prices and seems to be more than adequate as an M10 replacement (it even offers some features that the M10 doesn't).  There are of course even more options, but it's easy to get the impression in this forum that the M10 is the be-all-end-all in handhelds.

My recommendation would be AT853 mics with the 4.7k (aka low sensitivity) mod.  Add a simple battery box and you're in business.  I want to say that someone even had success with the low sensitivity AT853s direct into an R-07 at a loud show (Primus, maybe?), so it's possible you could get away with no battery box...or at least give it a shot.

Thanks for our advice. I will buy the Roland R-07 tomorrow, I've heard it's good for it's price and people have sent me private msgs here and recommendet it, it's also available in my city so this is great. I don't know what you mean with "the 4.7k mod". What is this? If I buy the AT853 mic I would need a batttery box right, or is the r-07 enough?

The AT853 mics need a battery box AND also require the 4.7kmod(low sensitivity mod) or they will distort without that mod.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 03:13:20 PM »

If you get the AT853s from Sounds Pros the low sensitivity mod is an option.  If you get them in the yard sale you might see it referred to as the 4.7k mod.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 04:36:45 PM »
The main advantage of the M10 is the battery life, which is approximately forever.
Another advantage of the M10 is that it can handle input levels up to 2 volts. When it was introduced, I was using the old Zoom H2 that looked like an electric shaver, and the H2 could only handle 0.775 volts on the line in, or you had to use a pad cable.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline BeJimmieFaf

• Taperssection Newbie
Become a Site Supporter Todaybsp
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
If I missed the post or thread in the forum I apologize. But I wanted to know, as the title suggests, how do you become a supporter so the whole forum becomes available for viewing?

Ride hard,
Sarasota Steve

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
Re: Become a Site Supporter Todaybsp
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »
If I missed the post or thread in the forum I apologize. But I wanted to know, as the title suggests, how do you become a supporter so the whole forum becomes available for viewing?

Ride hard,
Sarasota Steve

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=127540.0

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »
Stealth: Can't talk to your friends AT ALL. Having no friends is a plus for stealth tapers, and of course that makes it easier to get in early when you don't have to wait for everyone to get dinner and drinks etc. Limited dancing, some would say not at all, but I don't have that kind of self control. Beer intake limited by the size of your bladder. Bands that play two sets are preferred so you can pee. Bands like Ween that play one 2.5 hour set are difficult. And finally, with a stand you can eliminate a lot of chatter by getting above the crowd. One way to record that is in between is having a small rig in a black bag that you find a small shelf of some sort to put it on, or on the floor in the balcony etc.  Downside is someone might think it is a bomb and have the show shut down. Clamps are discussed in here extensively.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 04:09:53 PM »
Might be too late, but highly recommend AT853s, small battery box and the Sony A10. The size, ability to bypass metal detectors, and phone operation are all winners in my book.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, is what kind of ROOM do you plan on recording in? Stadium? Arena? Theatre? Club? That makes a big difference on mics to buy (Pickup pattern)

Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
I’ll keep it simple
AT 853 plus Sony A-10 or Roland R-07
If I was starting out today with a small budget
This gets me best recording in a good location
With or without a pre
I know, I have run this rig many times

music>mics>pre>recorder

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2019, 04:19:35 AM »
I’ll keep it simple
AT 853 plus Sony A-10 or Roland R-07
If I was starting out today with a small budget
This gets me best recording in a good location
With or without a pre
I know, I have run this rig many times

+100. Exactly.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 05:29:22 PM »
DPA 4061>d-vice>r-07. More expensive than the ATs but worth it. Maybe $1200 total.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »
recording made with internals on deck that was $150 new (Tascam DR-2D), which I much prefer to any Sony digital recorders....the internals deck actually outperformed the $500 mics this night.

if you're on dime, quality samples are in the comments.

it's all about what you know, and how you utilize it.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=652570

Ignore this man, he’s more than slightly retarded.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
recording made with internals on deck that was $150 new (Tascam DR-2D), which I much prefer to any Sony digital recorders....the internals deck actually outperformed the $500 mics this night.

if you're on dime, quality samples are in the comments.

it's all about what you know, and how you utilize it.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=652570

Ignore this man, he’s more than slightly retarded.

+1,000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com