Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help partitioning my new HD...  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Help partitioning my new HD...
« on: September 22, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »
Hey all! So I got a new lappy a few months ago, and I'm getting ready to do some multitracking. I have to admit that on my old PC I never broke the HD up, but now that I will be venturing into more live multitracks, I'd like to make sure that it runs as efficient as possible. I need some help on partitioning the HD. I guess I would at least have a programs/general partition and then an audio partition for multitracking? Maybe I should have three? One for Windows/programs, one for saving files, and an audio partition? Or some other config? Could anyone please give me some feedback and most importantly how you would break it up (size wise). Also, if you had the choice between XP Pro & XP Media Center which would you use? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject! THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

100 gig HD
1gig of DDR ram
2GHz AMD Turion64

RebelRebel

Re: Help partitioning my new HD...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »
XP Home is plenty adequate, but Pro is fine too..

on my "field" laptop(only use for my gigs, not a general purpose computer, 100% audio),I have  a 30G partition set aside for program files/OS, and the rest for audio projects.

make sure to visit www.musicxp.net

is this JUST an audio machine??

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:55:09 PM by Teddy »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:26:40 PM »
Either MCE or XP Pro will do.  The only real difference between the two is the MediaCenter program.

As far as partitioning goes, why?   IS it just to stay organized or for some other reason?   With the specs of the machine you listed there is no benefit to partitioning at all.  You are most likely running a 5400rpm HD so if there are problems or bottlenecks that would most likely be it. 

Partitioning was big back when machines were running 300mhz with 256MB of RAM.  Those problems that existed back then simply are not there anymore.  Don't buy the hype or the fear that you have to partition and turn damn near everything off.  I have been apart of quite a good number of multitrack efforts and usually all we'll turn off is the anti-virus.   The processor as well at the amount of RAM you have compensate for all the background services being on.  The majority of thnigs that musicxp.net suggests are changes that most power users of XP make anyway on their everyday machines.

Offline Swampy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:27:43 PM »
XP Home is plenty adequate, but Pro is fine too..

on my "field" laptop(only use for my gigs, not a general purpose computer, 100% audio),I have  a 30G partition set aside for program files/OS, and the rest for audio projects.

make sure to visit www.musicxp.net

is this JUST an audio machine??
Unfortunatly, I don't own Home edition or I would use it... Unfortunatly this is my computer for everything. Recording is really the only processor heavy stuff I do on it though. The rest is internet/word processing/listening to music ect...

Offline Swampy

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:29:47 PM »
Either MCE or XP Pro will do.  The only real difference between the two is the MediaCenter program.

As far as partitioning goes, why?   IS it just to stay organized or for some other reason?   With the specs of the machine you listed there is no benefit to partitioning at all.  You are most likely running a 5400rpm HD so if there are problems or bottlenecks that would most likely be it. 

Partitioning was big back when machines were running 300mhz with 256MB of RAM.  Those problems that existed back then simply are not there anymore.  Don't buy the hype or the fear that you have to partition and turn damn near everything off.  I have been apart of quite a good number of multitrack efforts and usually all we'll turn off is the anti-virus.   The processor as well at the amount of RAM you have compensate for all the background services being on.  The majority of thnigs that musicxp.net suggests are changes that most power users of XP make anyway on their everyday machines.
I donno, thats what Im saying. Im looking for help! I guess I've always heard that its just safer to be recording audio to a seperate partition than what you are running your progams off of.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 01:56:46 PM »

I donno, thats what Im saying. Im looking for help! I guess I've always heard that its just safer to be recording audio to a seperate partition than what you are running your progams off of.

No worries.   I think that a few years back when computers were of lesser power there was concern that hard drives needed to be broken up by partitioning.  Most of this was due to bottlenecks in the computer.  Today the audio bottlenecks for the majortiy of audio just are not there like the used to be.  Some exist but in those cases you would have a dedicated DAW.  If you are using this computer for your all-in-one machine I do not think you need to worry about those bottlenecks.

Do you have XP Pro or XP MCE (MediaCenterEdition)?   Both will work great!  Let me know if you have ANY questions at all as i'd be happy to help ya!

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »
The majority of thnigs that musicxp.net suggests are changes that most power users of XP make anyway on their everyday machines.

im guessing that Alex isnt a power user of XP. That is why I directed him to the site.....the average guy would never think of those tweaks.  I am fairly versed in XP, and there are a lot of things I wouldnt have thought of.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 02:08:52 PM »
swampy, its also nice if you need to format windows and dont want to erase all of your shows as well

i just made two partitions when i formatted w/ an xp pro disc a few years back, one for windows, and one for program files/pics/music
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Swampy

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 11:36:26 AM »
Yes, Im well aware of MusicXP! Thanks anyway though!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com