Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable burn in?  (Read 38884 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Cable burn in?
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2006, 10:48:41 PM »
Ps.... There is book smart and there is experience smart I would rather be the latter any day.

This comment seems to be in opposition to everything you have posted in this thread.

If you live someplace with a high end audio shop staffed by audio lovers and not just smug high end snobs, I encourage you to go there and ask them if they can demonstrate differences in cables.  I specificly mention the differnce because the snob guys wont think that you are worth their time but the audio lover guys will take time to swap gear around and demo different cables.

If you aren't all talk and really are interested in doing a real test, then I suggest that you take your canare cables with you and do a heads up comparison with the shop's high end cables.  Somehow I don't really think you have enough interest to put any effort into this since you seem to want everyone to send you samples or post links to anecdotal reports.  But maybe you will finally prove me wrong and do something to extend your experience. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2006, 10:49:45 PM »
my opinion..  even though i really dont feel I have the rights to speak on this topic, I will anyway..

I hope and dream that every person who loves listenin' to music has the stereo/multi-channel set up that sounds good to them..   a setup I feel is allmost like a pair of glasses, whereas the owner gets to pick the prescription..  Everyones "eyesight" (taste) in what music should sound like will be drastically different..  so what one can say is great to them, absolutely will not be to others..   To speak of the differences as to whether "cable burn-in" actually makes the fidelity "better" is 100% without a shadow of a doubt a matter of perception..  sure there are systems out that that we can sit in front of and say "wow", but ideally, unless you have 100% control of your listening environment, cabling (aside from "decent" interconnects) doesnt mean dook..  imho..   carry on!..  
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2006, 11:49:16 PM »
Come on now...leave Adam out of this.
Socks are overrated.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2006, 11:59:13 PM »
hey, does anyone remember how many years chris has been doing audio?

i cant seem to recall... maybe he will make a post and emphasis the number so we can all see how important he is...

open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2006, 12:06:44 AM »

i cant seem to recall... maybe he will make a post and emphasis the number so we can all see how important he is...

Touche!

Maybe Adam knows. :wink2:

I just don't get how one person can end up on the disagree-ing side of so many topics.  This is supposed to be an information board, not inflamation.  Debate yes...but come one....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 02:31:31 AM by balou2 »
Socks are overrated.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2006, 03:16:33 AM »
I LOVE TOMATOES ;D homegrown organically is definitely the way to go 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »
Exactly!  Chris seems to want everyone else to do a test.  Why don't you do it Chris?  By the way this thread is kinda mute at this point.  My silvers and R4 are all burnt in at this point.

Ps.... There is book smart and there is experience smart I would rather be the latter any day.

This comment seems to be in opposition to everything you have posted in this thread.

If you live someplace with a high end audio shop staffed by audio lovers and not just smug high end snobs, I encourage you to go there and ask them if they can demonstrate differences in cables.  I specificly mention the differnce because the snob guys wont think that you are worth their time but the audio lover guys will take time to swap gear around and demo different cables.

If you aren't all talk and really are interested in doing a real test, then I suggest that you take your canare cables with you and do a heads up comparison with the shop's high end cables.  Somehow I don't really think you have enough interest to put any effort into this since you seem to want everyone to send you samples or post links to anecdotal reports.  But maybe you will finally prove me wrong and do something to extend your experience. 

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2006, 08:25:34 AM »
The way you're treated Chris?  Hmmmm.  With posts like this I resent the way you speak around here.

It is B.S cable burn in is a joke the movement of electrons in a conductor (unless the current of the capacity of the conductor is exceeded) do not change the molecular structure of the conductor all they do is rearrange free electrons by negative and positive charges, And we are talking microvolt not kilovolts so once the a real signal of any significance is run thru the conductor how can you hear the difference?

And please someone send me the recording that has the broken in cable and the none broken in cable I bet no one can pick the one that is broken in with any accuracy. If you can hear the difference between a broken in cable and one that is not. Well your ears are wrong  There have been many studies done on this very subject. From respected scientists not Crack pots that want to sell you silver ac cords and magic Teflon wire. IMO

Its a big business cable making there are many crackpots out there that want you to pay $1000 for 1 meter of speaker wire lol I wish I was in the wire business but I have to be able to live with my self. Knowing that I was conning people out of hard earned money would not sit to well with me.

Chris Church

I do not disagree with that much here at T.S, but I do disagree with the way I have been treated here by some of the members. As I said in my other post I get the message loud and clear.
I guess its just that I do not fit in here I guess I should have agreed with more of the things that have been said here,  even if I did not agree with them oh well my loss your gain right? pardon the pun.
Its cool to make fun of me and wait for me to make a mistake so you can jump all over it right? yeppee its like being in highschool all over again.

Chris Church

Touche!

Maybe Adam knows. :wink2:

I just don't get how one person can end up on the disagree-ing side of so many topics.  This is supposed to be an information board, not inflamation.  Preparation H might fix that problem.  Debate yes...but come one....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 08:30:49 AM by tapermark »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2006, 08:50:48 AM »
I do not disagree with that much here at T.S, but I do disagree with the way I have been treated here by some of the members. As I said in my other post I get the message loud and clear.
I guess its just that I do not fit in here I guess I should have agreed with more of the things that have been said here,  even if I did not agree with them

I just remember you joining ts and immediately spouting a bunch of anti dpa-406x dogma that sounded like a sales spiel intended to get novices to buy other mics and which flew in the face of people who likely had far more experience with live compact mic recording than you do.  When called out on it point by point, you ran away from the thread.  I chaulked it up to a stubborn old guy and moved on.

I've certainly given you the benefit of the doubt here and in other threads. But here again, you seem to be running away from a discussion.  A fairly friendly discussion that is quickly making progress to 'prove' something that happens to challenge your present point of view.  The theme that I am noticing in several threads is that you are not intrerested in challenging your assumptions or learning something new.  I think most here are willing to overluck stubbornness, gruffness, whatever.. But if you aren't willing to challenge your own assumptions and learn something new, what's the point in anything?  The fact is, people tend to ignore those who aren't interested in considering other points of view or true discussion.  You do whatever you want but it is becoming apparent to *me* that you aren't much intersted in other viewpoints.

Back to the thread..  I just remembered that I have some purely acoustic bluegrass (Hackensaw Boys) in 24/96 that would probably work.  I can run pc>ua5> cables>722. The source is stage lip mk21 nos > 722.  I'll try it with canares, mil-silver and 1804a.  I don't have any new cables at the moment so this will just be a diff comp rather than a burn-in comp.  I'll try and get some samples generated, for those who are interested..

oniontaper

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2006, 10:00:31 AM »
I just remembered that I have some purely acoustic bluegrass (Hackensaw Boys) in 24/96 that would probably work.  I can run pc>ua5> cables>722. The source is stage lip mk21 nos > 722.  I'll try it with canares, mil-silver and 1804a.  I don't have any new cables at the moment so this will just be a diff comp rather than a burn-in comp.  I'll try and get some samples generated, for those who are interested..

I'm definitely interested.  (Actually, I'm interested in getting a copy of that whole show! Wanna do a B&P?)

Hackensaw Boys put on a great show.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2006, 10:10:41 AM »
I enjoyed Hackensaw a lot. Unfortunately, that was right around when I discovered that the 722 has a bug in the 'bass roll off'.  If you clip while running it, you get nasty distortion (I think it has been improved in recent firmwares but I avoid it).  So while I didn't clip much in that show, the few points where it did are pretty nasty.  I've patched it up pretty well but have always considered the source flawed and it bugs me as one that got away.. The Abigail Washburn opener was really nice. It was also damaged, though not quite as bad.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »
I am done. I have deleted all of my posts here in this thread. I do not care say what you will. I have my opinion but since it does not conform I will keep it to my self from now on.

Why did you delete all your posts?  If you keep picking up your toys and going home every time someone calls you out, maybe you should just go and not keep coming back.

I don't have 20 years of audio experience, but I have many close friends who do, including engineers who have run sound for Madonna, The Outlaws, The Allman Brothers, Peter Frampton and too many more to list.  I've had a couple of them try to tell me crazy shit, like "recording into Nuendo the music gets saved in a proprietary format and you have to export it out over lightpipe to convert it to wave forms"   ???  Last time I checked, wav format was not proprietary...

So my point is 20 years of experience in sound does not necessarily mean shit for credibility.  You've proven that you are opinionated and when challenged you pout and leave.

Interestingly enough, all my friends agree with you - cable is cable and it doesn't make a difference.  One of therm even used the phrase "snake oil".  However, FOH work is different enough from field recording and home listening that maybe they never bothered to listen for a difference.

I don't know which is right and which is wrong, all I know is that you had the opportunity to spark some really interesting tests and discussion and instead you chose to be a blowhard and a crybaby.  Some "professional" you are...

I've never written a post like this before, but I felt it needed to be said.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
I just remember you joining ts and immediately spouting a bunch of anti dpa-406x dogma that sounded like a sales spiel intended to get novices to buy other mics and which flew in the face of people who likely had far more experience with live compact mic recording than you do.  When called out on it point by point, you ran away from the thread.  I chaulked it up to a stubborn old guy and moved on.

My apology to Chris for the incorrect attribution above.  Someone else wrote that about the DPAs, not Chris. I think it was the guy who sells the DSM mics.  Sorry for dragging it in here.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2006, 12:15:35 PM »
Thank you for saying that. I love DPA MICS! they are the best mics you can buy. Period IMO

My apology to Chris for the incorrect attribution above.  Someone else wrote that about the DPAs, not Chris. I think it was the guy who sells the DSM mics.  Sorry for dragging it in here.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com